Orioles have agreed to terms with OF Tyler Colvin

Greg

Well I don't see why Colvin's agents would leak it. How would other agents get wind of it? I think the warehouse is getting leaky.

Of course it's agents who leak most of this. If you heard Buck on 105.7 this morning, that would be clear. They want everyone to know that they secured a major league deal for their player - then if it falls through due to the physical, they don't take the blame but still get credit for negotiating the deal. Buck also basically said that Buster Olney was full of it in regards to the Balfour situation.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year DD signed 20 or more new guys to low risk contracts. From those signings he got Valencia that he has turned into Lough, Stinson and McFarland. Most of the others didn't make it.

Here's hoping that DD finds three more this year.

Don't expect every signing to work out because they won't.

Of course it's agents who leak most of this. If you heard Buck on 105.7 this morning, that would be clear. They want everyone to know that they secured a major league deal for their player - then if it falls through due to the physical, they don't take the blame but still get credit for negotiating the deal. Buck also basically said that Buster Olney was full of it in regards to the Balfour situation.
So Colvin's agent is putting his interests above those of his client's. Don't think he'll get much more business with that kind of a rep.

So Colvin's agent is putting his interests above those of his client's. Don't think he'll get much more business with that kind of a rep.

Sometimes it is other teams that leak it because the player lets the team know they have an agreement pending a physical and the feed a reporter a bone.

Sometimes it is other teams that leak it because the player lets the team know they have an agreement pending a physical and the feed a reporter a bone.
You know this for a fact? One of your MLB friends told you this? I don't see how that makes much sense.

And not one bit of the blame should lie at the feet of Dan Duquette. What do you expect him to do with no money? Wave his magic wand and turn all the trash into treasure? Take some money out of his own pocket to pay players?

He is in a "win just enough" situation and there is nothing he can do about it.

This is completely untrue and quite frankly, I am sick of people giving Duquette a free pass. Don't get me wrong, I despise the fact that Angelos is the owner of this team more than the next guy but between the money saved from BRob's contract, the money saved by trading JJ and the extra $25 million from the TV network, there is money to be spent. It may not be as much as we all would prefer but there is money. For some reason, Duquette continues to take the "hope to find a diamond in the rough" mentality and it is extremely frustrating, especially since the Orioles have FINALLY become competitive again. I mean seriously, how many more times this offseason are we going to hear "No harm in this signing or that signing...it is just a minor league deal"? Yes...adding depth is very important but it sure as hell seems to me like Duquette has been more focused on improving our AAA team than our major league squad.

This is completely untrue and quite frankly, I am sick of people giving Duquette a free pass. Don't get me wrong, I despise the fact that Angelos is the owner of this team more than the next guy but between the money saved from BRob's contract, the money saved by trading JJ and the extra $25 million from the TV network, there is money to be spent. It may not be as much as we all would prefer but there is money. For some reason, Duquette continues to take the "hope to find a diamond in the rough" mentality and it is extremely frustrating, especially since the Orioles have FINALLY become competitive again. I mean seriously, how many more times this offseason are we going to hear "No harm in this signing or that signing...it is just a minor league deal"? Yes...adding depth is very important but it sure as hell seems to me like Duquette has been more focused on improving our AAA team than our major league squad.
Who determines what money is to be spent? Not DD. The 25 MTV money isn't up to DD to spend. He clearly has strict budget parameters and his marbles remarks strongly hint that it is 100M. So he has about 18 M to play with. It seems to me he is saving most of that for a SP and perhaps future expenditures mid season. He is addressing the OF/DH/RP needs by dumpster diving because he has to. Unless he wants to spend his own money.

It certainly seems that way.... Really, what has DD really done to improve the 25-man roster these past two off-seasons?

Yes...and no. I don't think Dan is saying, "gee I have all these marbles from Pete, but I don't want to spend them except for AAA." Moreover, he doesn't get to say how many marbles he has. Maybe Dan's marble bag has to get him through the entire season, so he is being careful with them. Right now, excluding some of the deals this week, he's around $81.5M when you factor in the arbitration and contract increases. That's below 2013, and we'll see where that ends up in a month.

I don't have the energy.

I have no problem with the concept of making smart signings. The problem is with the folks we choose to sign. The last Rockies batter we signed who was coming off of an "down year" was Garrett Atkins. I don't need to remind anyone how that ended.

There is no comparison beyween the $4.5 mm Atkins signing and this one. It was very obvious that Atkins was done, and yet we paid him a lot of money to stink. It was the single worst move of Andy MacPhail's tenure. This move is low risk, with a decent potential reward if it works out. If nothing comes of it, no biggie.

Yes...and no. I don't think Dan is saying, "gee I have all these marbles from Pete, but I don't want to spend them except for AAA." Moreover, he doesn't get to say how many marbles he has. Maybe Dan's marble bag has to get him through the entire season, so he is being careful with them. Right now, excluding some of the deals this week, he's around $81.5M when you factor in the arbitration and contract increases. That's below 2013, and we'll see where that ends up in a month.
I think it is a little more complicated than that. If he wants to spend 1M on Reimold or Young, or 2M on Webb, that's his choice. But if he wants to spend 2/25 on Arroyo, he has to go hat in hand to Big Petey. Probably had to go hat in hand on Balfour.

I think it is a little more complicated than that. If he wants to spend 1M on Reimold or Young, or 2M on Webb, that's his choice. But if he wants to spend 2/25 on Arroyo, he has to go hat in hand to Big Petey. Probably had to go hat in hand on Balfour.

I would bet Cashman would have to go "hat in hand" to Steinbum also. No GM has 10s of millions to spend on his signature. Period.

I would bet Cashman would have to go "hat in hand" to Steinbum also. No GM has 10s of millions to spend on his signature. Period.
No doubt, but the question here is the amount and with in what budget parameters? I'm sure Cashman has a lot more free reign than DD.

Archived