Orioles have agreed to terms with OF Tyler Colvin

Greg

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems the guys we are signing this year will be pretty similar to the guys we have singed the last couple of years for LF and DH. Pearce, Valencia, McLouth, and Ford are replaced with similar valued players. Expect a couple WAR combined from these positions at most. Sad really.

This is completely untrue and quite frankly, I am sick of people giving Duquette a free pass. Don't get me wrong, I despise the fact that Angelos is the owner of this team more than the next guy but between the money saved from BRob's contract, the money saved by trading JJ and the extra $25 million from the TV network, there is money to be spent. It may not be as much as we all would prefer but there is money. For some reason, Duquette continues to take the "hope to find a diamond in the rough" mentality and it is extremely frustrating, especially since the Orioles have FINALLY become competitive again. I mean seriously, how many more times this offseason are we going to hear "No harm in this signing or that signing...it is just a minor league deal"? Yes...adding depth is very important but it sure as hell seems to me like Duquette has been more focused on improving our AAA team than our major league squad.

Yeah I don't get why he has singed as many guys as he has. He is going to end cutting guys and having to pay them.. I would rather see Hank get a shot than this guy. Or all the other worthless guys he has signed over the last 3 years. I mean out of all the player he has signed to play the field McLouth is the only one who provided anything.

You know this for a fact? One of your MLB friends told you this? I don't see how that makes much sense.

Your routine is getting old. I don't know this for a fact. Just what do you know for a fact? But for all but the absolute mental midgets of the world there are a lot of sources not the O's FO in situations like this. What are there 150 or so reporters writing about the MLB all of which have sources with various teams, contacts with agents, contacts with FO people. But you always mold the fiction you produce to the narrative you try to sell. Honestly you need the same Doctors that Trea needed. The only fact we really have is the stupid Org that you love to rail against has turned their long losing streak and posted two winning seasons. They backed out on a deal with a guy that no one else has jumped in with an offer. That does not give any insight in what they are or are not leaking to a writer. You ask for facts when I have never and I mean ever have seen anything you write on these matters that is backed up by what would be called facts.

On Colvin...the guy hit .290 with a .850 ops in 2012 and only got 27 games last year in a building year for the Cubs....WOw

Seems like a pretty good pick up

Hopefully he can return to 2012 form and win the LF job.

He was with the Rockies last year. They optioned him to make room for Tulowitzki coming off the DL, since he was only hitting .160 and struck out in over one-third of the time.

Seems like a very dark horse to me, what with his injury being fresh, with his numbers so far coming in two of the best hitter's parks, and being a below-average fielder for his career.

Yes, but the Cubs flat refused Pie. Funny how we ended up with both Hill and Pie within a year or 2, and bith were pretty bad. Pretty sure the pitcher that the Cubs wanted to include was Sean Marshall, who probably has been worth more than anyone else in the discussion as it turned out.

I believe Gallagher was also part of the discussion.

Well I don't see why Colvin's agents would leak it. How would other agents get wind of it? I think the warehouse is getting leaky.

Here's my guess. When a team signs a player to an offer sheet (prior to the physical and contract signing), they surely must have to submit that sheet to MLB. At that point, there are dozens of people who know what's going on. Reporters have sources in all sorts of places: players they've made friends with, executives of various teams, friends at MLB, employees of agents, etc. Any one of those kinds of sources could have told Connolly about the deal.

Remember when Adam Jones tweeted that he'd been traded by the Mariners to the O's before he took the physical? The deal was held up for about a week after that while the O's made sure everyone understood that no deal was final.

Leaks can come from anywhere, because lots of people know stuff. Starting with MacPhail, the O's have done a very good job of keeping a tight lid on the identity of players with whom they are negotiating, but once an offer sheet is signed it's a bit like herding cats.

I don't get this at all. I hope the money is peanuts because why else would give MAJOR LEAGUE deal to a guy who:

1. Injury track record
  2. Cannot get on base
  3. Has 1 good season vs RHP
  4. No other decent year, splits or not
  5. the one good year was in Coors, terrible on road
  6. Only positives are 27 years old and left handed

He doesn't even look like a plus defender or base runner.

Hate to sound flippant, but I hope he is cheap enough to cut without a second thought.

Or maybe he breaks out at 27 years old. Like another poster mentioned, left handed Reimold.

I don't get this at all. I hope the money is peanuts because why else would give MAJOR LEAGUE deal to a guy who:
  1. Injury track record
  2. Cannot get on base
  3. Has 1 good season vs RHP
  4. No other decent year, splits or not
  5. the one good year was in Coors, terrible on road
  6. Only positives are 27 years old and left handed

He doesn't even look like a plus defender or base runner.

Hate to sound flippant, but I hope he is cheap enough to cut without a second thought.

Or maybe he breaks out at 27 years old. Like another poster mentioned, left handed Reimold.

You didn't think his 2010 was a good season? 113 OPS+ 20 HR in 395 PA.

Archived