Source: O's working on Fernando Rodney...

Bazooka Jones

I would be interested to know what impact the Balfour and Colvin fiascos have had on the Orioles. I mean, actual reporting as opposed to speculation. Are agents now telling their players to stay away from Baltimore, or is there a somewhat different view of things inside the industry as compared to amongst the fans?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should be a interesting negotiations. Rodney wants 10m/yr. The O's will not pay him more than the 6M that Balfour got. Rodney made 2.5M last year. Rodney wants a 2 year contract. That is what Balfour, Mujica and Benoit got. DD can't offer more than one year guaranteed because he knows he will not get two years passed the team doctors.

Apparently no one else wants Rodney. The O's need an experienced closer badly but the O's are stubborn and cheap enough to go with in-house relievers. Negotiation should be tons of fun.

Does Rodney have any medical concerns?

I would be interested to know what impact the Balfour and Colvin fiascos have had on the Orioles. I mean, actual reporting as opposed to speculation. Are agents now telling their players to stay away from Baltimore, or is there a somewhat different view of things inside the industry as compared to amongst the fans?

Depends on what options the player has. If he can go somewhere else for the same money. He will. But if the O's have the best offer he will probably try to get through the physical. Buck is good to play for. He has the players back. Never calls them out in public. O's have been winning the last two years and probably win again if the get a closer and a starter.

Yea, honestly the only things I have against him are his antics. I think this would be a good move. It at the very least points us on par with where we were with JJ. After JJ last two years, I'd prefer Rodney.

scOtt, you gotta stop posting with that avatar. As a guy with tattoos, that avatar derails my train of thought every time I see it.

Should be a interesting negotiations. Rodney wants 10m/yr. The O's will not pay him more than the 6M that Balfour got. Rodney made 2.5M last year. Rodney wants a 2 year contract. That is what Balfour, Mujica and Benoit got. DD can't offer more than one year guaranteed because he knows he will not get two years passed the team doctors.

Apparently no one else wants Rodney. The O's need an experienced closer badly but the O's are stubborn and cheap enough to go with in-house relievers. Negotiation should be tons of fun.

After everything that's been written on this board, everything that's been cited, and every example of journeyman-reliever-turned-closer that seems to pop up every single season, why do you still maintain that the Orioles need an experienced closer "badly"? I'm not asking you specifically because you're the only one who thinks so, but it honestly astounds me that the "we need a closer" opinion has managed to survive all this time.

Just look at the saves leaders for the last several years, both leagues. See how many random names and "new" faces seem to pop up every year. If the O's had the chance to grab Mariano Rivera in his prime, that'd be one thing, but the O's have been eyeing guys like Balfour and Rodney. Balfour wasn't even a full time closer until a couple of years ago...and yet the O's need that experience?

A "proven closer" is a luxury that the O's can do without. I just don't understand why anyone else thinks differently.

I guess that depends. Do you consider embarrassing yourself and your team harmless?

Let's put this in perspective:

What's more embarrassing to the organization? The player getting arrested for a DUI or domestic abuse or him doing a silly celebration after a win?

Do you also have a problem with the outfielders doing that jump after a win? What about Chris Davis picking up Nate McLouth like a 2 year old? What about storming the field, altogether?

Does Rodney have any medical concerns?

2011- missed 33 games with a back injury

2008 - missed 69 games with shoulder tendinitis

2007 - missed 45 games with forearm injury, shoulder tendinitis and neck injury

2005 - missed 57 games with shoulder inflammation

2004 - missed the season with Tommy John surgery

Rodney's MRI has to be pretty messing at 36 years old.

Archived