Orioles, Suk-min Yoon have agreement, pending physical.( Passed)

CaptainRedbeard

Maybe he's saying "peace out" to the O's and going back to Korea?

My guess in the other thread was that our offer came in 2nd!

This is great news if true. We need to get one more of Jimenez/Santana too though....or perish the thought Burnett.

Puts the O's in a great negotiating spot with all of them though.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news if true. We need to get one more of Jimenez/Santana too though....or perish the thought Burnett.

I think it means they're done.

But...they'll have $ if one of these free agents waits it out until June...

I agree wholeheartedly. We don't know how they plan on using Yoon.

I would still want Burnett out of all the choices. It's a shame he doesn't want to pitch here. I think he'd be a great guy for the young guys to learn from.

I agree wholeheartedly. We don't know how they plan on using Yoon.

I would still want Burnett out of all the choices. It's a shame he doesn't want to pitch here. I think he'd be a great guy for the young guys to learn from.

So just asked a friend what Yoon's status meant and he said it's "Ta-Da" implying he is an Oriole

Nope, not happening.

Yoon clearly isn't a starter(I mean who knows what he is he could flop), but he is cheap and that is the main requirement to be a member of the Orioles these days. Signing other proven pitchers would be smarter obviously, rather than a guy that has never thrown 1 pitch in MLB, but it isn't about winning. It is about saving money while making it look like you are trying. Yoon fits the bill perfectly. They can have a big to do with a press conference, do the whole media bit like this is some signing of note. In reality it is a complete shot in the dark that other teams wouldn't spend 5 min talking about.

If you think the Orioles are going up to $103 million or so going into the season you are crazy. Yoon will take it to about 88m if he gets 5m a year, Burnett will be $15m minimum I am guessing.

That means that instead of signing Burnett at 15m, we sign Yoon at 5m. Pretty clear if we sign Yoon any other significant (I use that term very loosely at this point though) potential signing goes out the window unless it can come in at around 8m or so. None of the other pitchers left fit with that being the case.

It will be Yoon, another low cost player (maybe 2) and we go into the season in the low 90's payroll wise.

I hope that 2 weeks from now I am dead wrong, but I can see the excuses coming already if Yoon gets signed and nothing else of note gets done. "We think Yoon can be a key member of the pitching staff. We felt like with where the market was on those other players this was our best option for pitching help. Don't forget about prospect X, Y, and Z who we really think can help us this year". Watch.

So when is the presser?

So when is the presser?

"Yoon clearly isn't a starter" is a bold opinion.

And it isn't one I've seen shared by many writers or scouts. He sounds a lot like Chen when he came over. Not going to be a superstar, but would expect him to be a fine ML starter.

But I'm right with you on being annoyed that he isn't Burnett or Jimenez, although I do (if it happens) like signing him more than Capuano/Saunders. Individually I wouldn't mind the move. But Dan still hasn't done enough to get us to playoff caliber. We'll see if he thinks he's done or not.

Archived