Orioles, Suk-min Yoon have agreement, pending physical.( Passed)

CaptainRedbeard

It is funny that people keep mentioning Wada.

He wasn't deemed an injury risk when he signed and he passes his physical.

Other then being, you know, Asian, not sure what correlation there is.

Yes Wada got hurt, so did Baez.

Add the fact that one is Japanese and pitched in the Japanese leagues while the other is Korean and pitched in the KBO and you have a whole 'nother level of lazy comparison ;)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I posted in the other Yoon thread...

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/138710-Yoon-Suk-min-pitches-for-O-s-and-Giants/page10

O's can't win. If they don't sign anyone they're not making a good enough offer. If they seem to be closing in on someone, then that player wasn't wanted by anyone else. Now, to be fair, they haven't really won any bidding wars, but as someone who accepts that this team will never have infinite resources, I don't think that's ultimately a winning strategy.

Aren't they dead last in spending international money too?

I believe you are correct, but I think someone else posted a few moves that weren't included in that figure for varying reasons (no part of pool $$, etc.). They also just signed what are, by all accounts, two top-end teen prospects from Latin America, so there's that.

Is the consensus here that Yoon would be instead of or in addition to Burnett?

Let me preface my response with the ultimate cop-out. As with everything, it depends. Specifically on the $$ paid to Yoon. Have to understand the finances before we can really evaluate and answer this question. My thought that it is in addition to another pitcher, whether that be Burnett/Arroyo/Santana/Jimenez. I'm lately of the mind that they have their current offer sitting for each of these pitchers and are waiting for them to bite as we close in on pitchers and catchers reporting. Having Yoon in tow makes the waiting game all the more palatable as it gives us some protection on the bad side of the gambit and provides additional leverage.

Chen has worked out well, other teams seem to be interested in him. The Orioles have made three "significant" Asian picks: Koji, Wada, and Chen. So far it seems they were right 2/3 times.

Wada got hurt, it happens.

And in terms of return on investment (Davis, Hunter, and 9.1 WAR from Uehara and Chen for $27.64 million so far, incl. the $8 million for Wada), they have gotten us a lot more than 2/3.

As I understand it, they ranked last on a list of "calendar year 2013" signings that didn't correspond to any signing season and, for various reasons, excluded Cubans, Mexicans, Koreans, and Japanese. I may have missed some other exclusions or exceptions there, but that was pretty much the parameters of the list, as I recall.

How does the KBO compare to the Japanese league or the majors? Chens numbers were phenomenal in the Japan league and he is average over here. Looks like Yoons numbers are pretty good in the KBO but not overwhelming (especially more recent)...so how does that translate? I'm tentative to think this would be a good move if it happens but I love being wrong about things like this.

Which is smart.

Agreed. Yes, Balfour fell through. That horse has been beaten so often, it's turned to dust. Signing Yoon on the cheap is not a bad idea. Counting on Hunter to close can blow up in our face very quickly if his one pitch gets creamed on the daily. Another option hurts absolutely nothing.

Agreed. Yes, Balfour fell through. That horse has been beaten so often, it's turned to dust. Signing Yoon on the cheap is not a bad idea. Counting on Hunter to close can blow up in our face very quickly if his one pitch gets creamed on the daily. Another option hurts absolutely nothing.

After being at FanFest, I think that other option is Webb. At the very least, he is gonna do everything he can to make Buck Choo Choo Choose him over Yoon.

Archived