Buck: Nellie will Play LF Against Lefties, At least

BillySmith

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck said that Lough will not play against LHP for now. Cruz will play LF vs lHP <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">March 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Something they said Kirby Puckett has been doing for the team and they claim is probably one of the most under-rated OF coaches in MLB.

Kirby Puckett may well have been a good outfield coach before he passed, I don't really know, but I'm not sure that he could teach anyone how to read the ball off the bat any better. Paul Blair seemed to know where and when the ball would come down the instant it hit the bat. A unique natural talent, but I don't think that he could teach anyone else how to do it.

It isn't a case, it is just a prediction.

BTW, for the record, Lough has a higher OPS vs LHP then RHP in his ML career. (sss obv).

But his minor league numbers have standard lefty/lefty splits over larger samples, so sitting him against lefties for now makes sense. The question is whether to put Cruz out there or Peguero etc. Cruz with Delmon Young as DH vs LHPs makes sense.

But his minor league numbers have standard lefty/lefty splits over larger samples, so sitting him against lefties for now makes sense. The question is whether to put Cruz out there or Peguero etc. Cruz with Delmon Young as DH vs LHPs makes sense.

I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it, just passing along his MLB splits.

I don't think the offensive upgrade from Lough to Young is worth the loss of defense.

I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it, just passing along his MLB splits.

I don't think the offensive upgrade from Lough to Young is worth the loss of defense.

In places with a small left field, like OPACY or Fenway, it might make a lot of sense. In Skankee Stadium, I'd definitely want Lough out there.

Young has a career .812 OPS v LHP and Cruz .869. So if Cruz is in LF and Young is DH for one third of the games, the 1 or 2 RS you lose on defense in LF for those games, is equal to the RC you'll gain from Young's .812 over Lough's .720 OPS v LHP(SSS)?

Young has a career .812 OPS v LHP and Cruz .869. So if Cruz is in LF and Young is DH for one third of the games, the 1 or 2 RS you lose on defense in LF for those games, is equal to the RC you'll gain from Young's .812 over Lough's .720 OPS v LHP(SSS)?

In this situation you still waste a roster spot on a guy who can only DH against LHP. I still don't like that, I'd much rather Pearce.

In this situation you still waste a roster spot on a guy who can only DH against LHP. I still don't like that, I'd much rather Pearce.
Same goes for Pearce, I don't care which, both hit LHP well. I just think there is an advantage to platooning in LF, the sacrifice on defense doesn't seem like that much to me.

I understand that Pearce can play the outfield and first base but I think Young is the better offensive player. Plus Young is two years younger then Pearce. Although they each have seven years in the majors, Young has close to 4,000 PAs while Pearce has under 900. My point is Young is an established ML player while Pearce is basically a journeyman. With our line-up I doubt either of them get any playing time in the outfield and there are far better options at first then Pearce.

I understand that Pearce can play the outfield and first base but I think Young is the better offensive player. Plus Young is two years younger then Pearce. Although they each have seven years in the majors, Young has close to 4,000 PAs while Pearce has under 900. My point is Young is an established ML player while Pearce is basically a journeyman.

Established ML players don't accept minor league deals.

Young was an established ML player.

Established ML players don't accept minor league deals.

Young was an established ML player.

Seriously? If he's not on our club by the end of March my guess is he'll be on someone's ML roster. He does have an opt out if he's not on our team.

Seriously? If he's not on our club by the end of March my guess is he'll be on someone's ML roster. He does have an opt out if he's not on our team.

Seriously? He needs to re-establish himself to get a ML job. Now the word is he is fit and motivated so he has a good chance of doing it.

Archived