Buck: Nellie will Play LF Against Lefties, At least

BillySmith

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously? He needs to re-establish himself to get a ML job. Now the word is he is fit and motivated so he has a good chance of doing it.

Young's signing came relatively early in this unusually long off season. My guess is he had other options. He saw the left field and DH situation with the O's and took the minor league deal with the assurance that he would get his release if it didn't work out. At twenty eight, with his track record, I don't think he has to reestablish himself. Right now I think Seattle certainly would like to have him.

Young's signing came relatively early in this unusually long off season. My guess is he had other options. He saw the left field and DH situation with the O's and took the minor league deal with the assurance that he would get his release if it didn't work out. At twenty eight, with his track record, I don't think he has to reestablish himself. Right now I think Seattle certainly would like to have him.

Young's track record only establishes that he is a bad major league baseball player.

Young's track record only establishes that he is a bad major league baseball player.

You'll get no argument from me about Delmon Young's ability as a ballplayer. But he is a better right handed DH then Pearce.

What exactly is the relative defensive importance/value of the different positions? Does it track the defensive spectrum....i.e. the relative difficulty of the positions? I sort of assume that the impact difference (runs saved, etc) between an excellent and mediocre center fielder is a lot more than the impact difference between an excellent and mediocre left fielder, but is that true? And if so how much more exactly?

I think I agree but I'm not sure why. I think Young is the better hitter but the numbers suggest that it's almost a tossup vs. LHP's. Add in the fact that Pearce is already an Oriole and adds some defensive versatility and I'm not sure that Pearce isn't the better choice. Pearce has a career OPS of .806 against LHP's in 346 AB's. .802 last year. Delmon Young is a career .812 against LHP's, and that's with a .927 mark back in his career year of 2010. I guess if we're getting the 2010 version, Young has more potential for better numbers.

Young has achieved his.812 ops in 1148 PAs. Almost four times as many as Pearce. Given our outfield projection and Flaherty's ability to play first base, how many opportunities will Pearce/young set to play in the field?

You'll get no argument from me about Delmon Young's ability as a ballplayer. But he is a better right handed DH then Pearce.
Maybe by about 6 points OPS. Young v LHP.812, Pearce .806. Pearce is the better OF and can also playa decent 1B. And most likely would cost less.

Maybe by about 6 points OPS. Young v LHP.812, Pearce .806. Pearce is the better OF and can also playa decent 1B. And most likely would cost less.

Honestly I think there's a lot more downward noise in goings numbers. He's in shape. I think he'll be closer to the 900+ ops he put up with min in 2010 vs. lhp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I think there's a lot more downward noise in goings numbers. He's in shape. I think he'll be closer to the 900+ ops he put up with min in 2010 vs. lhp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He would be a role player with about 200 PA who can't really play defense. Pearce has shown the ability to hit as well in the same situation coming off the bench, and played COF/1B solidly as well. For that limited job Pearce is better suited, IMO.

It's looking like Nolan to the DL as usual then Pearce/Peguero/Young for 2 spots. I would think that Young and Pearce make it. But it would be redundant to have them both. Unless you are taking Markakis out against LHP's too. If the two of them were to make it when would the other one get AB's. You have one only playing against LHP's with Cruz in LF. This leads me to believe that the bench will be Clevenger, IF, Young/Pearce, Peguero. Peguero offers something that his competition doesn't. The ability to play CF and speed. I really like Young's upside but Pearce has some good at bats against Price and LHP in general. Hopefully we can sneak him through yet again.

He would be a role player with about 200 PA who can't really play defense. Pearce has shown the ability to hit as well in the same situation coming off the bench, and played COF/1B solidly as well. For that limited job Pearce is better suited, IMO.

This. Pearce has shown he can be effective in a limited role. Young has not. Pearce also provides some flexibility on defense if needed. Young can't wear a glove.

I still would love to see David Lough play his way into full-time. Loved the quote from Buck about what Jonathan Schoop said..

"It was fun watching Lough run," Showalter said. "(Jonathan) Schoop said, 'He runs like a cheetah. As soon as he hit it, Jonathan was sitting next to me and he said, 'Watch him run. He's a cheetah."

"Cheetah" Lough. Now you're talking!!

I still would love to see David Lough play his way into full-time. Loved the quote from Buck about what Jonathan Schoop said..

"It was fun watching Lough run," Showalter said. "(Jonathan) Schoop said, 'He runs like a cheetah. As soon as he hit it, Jonathan was sitting next to me and he said, 'Watch him run. He's a cheetah."

"Cheetah" Lough. Now you're talking!!

"CheetO" Lough sounds better!

They can have promotions with Cheetos and the T-shirts patterned after the Cheeto Cheetah, already orange and black...a marketing fountain of goodness!

He is fun to watch play baseball and I agree with others that have said he would be a fan favorite given a chance.

Archived