Buck: Nellie will Play LF Against Lefties, At least

BillySmith

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cruz and Young both put up all star caliber slash lines against left handed pitching. Plus, Lough can always be substituted back in as a defensive replacement late in the game if needed. I'm fine with this scenario

Don't see why some people think Young is so great against LHP's. His career OPS against lefties is not even 10 points higher than Steve Pearce's. I would much rather have Pearce on the roster than young considering he can also hit righties at a respectable rate and is a much better overall player.

Last season Cruz was -3 RS and Lough was +15. Assuming those are accurate descriptions of their relative defense, then combined in a platoon we would still be getting about 9 RS over all. Considering the offensive boost we get from Cruz facing LHP 33% of the time it seems well worth the marginal loss in defense.

This doesn't make sense. Cruz would be facing the LHP if he were DHing, wouldn't he? The question is whether the boost we would get from Pearce/Young/Reimold batting over Lough vs. LHP would mean more than the drop-off in the field from Lough to Cruz in thoe games. Cruz's bat would be in the lineup either way.

I'll take Cruz in the outfield before Nolan. Nolan has never looked smooth out there, and I doubt that another round of surgeries has improved that. I would prefer Lough being the full-time LF and Cruz the full-time DH, but it is what it is. If playing Cruz in the field against lefties keeps him happy and productive, then I'm good with it.

Not that it would happen, but how would you like this outfield?

LF: Jones

CF: Lough

RF: Markakis/Cruz platoon

The presumption here is that Markakis/Cruz would be replaced by Urrutia next season.

I rather Nick regain his old form and, Jones, Lough and Nick could be one heck of an outfield this year.

BTW, I keep hearing about backup CF, they said on the radio in the Tampa Game. Urrutia actually played CF for his Cuban team.

They said he is a better fielder than people think, just a matter of the coaches working him on his first steps, and making better first reads of balls hit.

Not that it would happen, but how would you like this outfield?

LF: Jones

CF: Lough

RF: Markakis/Cruz platoon

The presumption here is that Markakis/Cruz would be replaced by Urrutia next season.

But why. Adam is great in center.

Did Buck previously say something about Cruz not playing the outfield. if so, why did he change his mind? Or did we just assume that he would go with Lough and his defense? The only thing I can remember Buck saying is that he would like to have a full-time DH.

End of argument.

Back on topic: Cruz is below average, but not quite the butcher some are suggesting. If he starts 45-50 games in LF it's no big deal. He'll be out of there in the late innings if we're leading.

I will go ahead and make an early prediction. If Cruz plays in the outfield against lefties he will get hurt and he will go on the DL.

In which case it may very well become a big deal.

But playing LF could have nothing to do with him getting hurt. I think you, or someone, pointed out that he's only played more than 128 games once. He's had hamstring injuries among other things. I could make the case that sitting on the bench as the DH and then running the bases gives you just as good a chance as pulling a hamstring as playing the field. Predicting he will get hurt is an easy bet if you look at his history.

How many of his injuries are the result of playing the field? That might help make your case.

It isn't a case, it is just a prediction.

BTW, for the record, Lough has a higher OPS vs LHP then RHP in his ML career. (sss obv).

You are predicting he gets hurt as a result of playing LF. So he has to injure himself while playing LF. Right? I'll take that bet. I'd say he's just as likely, if not moreso, to get injured while batting or running the bases, if he gets hurt at all.

Or taking fly balls, that would count as well.

I rather Nick regain his old form and, Jones, Lough and Nick could be one heck of an outfield this year.

BTW, I keep hearing about backup CF, they said on the radio in the Tampa Game. Urrutia actually played CF for his Cuban team.

They said he is a better fielder than people think, just a matter of the coaches working him on his first steps, and making better first reads of balls hit.

How do you coach that? Of everything about outfield play, it seems to me that making a good read on the ball off the bat is probably the least coach-able thing. I think that is pretty much something that comes naturally.

How do you coach that? Of everything about outfield play, it seems to me that making a good read on the ball off the bat is probably the least coach-able thing. I think that is pretty much something that comes naturally.

Something they said Kirby Puckett has been doing for the team and they claim is probably one of the most under-rated OF coaches in MLB.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• There were also 28 scheduled double headers in 1938. Hard to compare because the eras were so different. Both streaks clearly super freakish. 
    • He 100% will add at least one more reliever in trade this season.
    • During a slide into 2B he did something. He was flexing his left knee repeatedly and didn't look comfortable. Didn't take 3rd on a ball he probably could have and was sort of trying to work the kinks out of the knee by bending it over and over. He stayed in the game, so that's a good sign.
    • He was favoring it after he stole 2nd base and had to dodge a clumsy looking throw and tage by the reds. The entire play was a bit unnatural. Swing and miss while Mountcastle runs, then a bad throw, Mountcastle takes a clumsy slide that gets his foot caught in the dirt followed by a wild looking throw. I don't know if that aggravated the knee he was dealing with the game he sat out for. I haven't heard anything official.
    • I agree with both points.  Elias is too smart to pay top dollar for last year's performance when Scott has started the season so comparatively badly.  The O's are too competitive this year to screw around with what amounts to reclamation project.
    • There has been a lot of talk of the pitchers improvement recently.  Both the AAA and the rehab of the MLB guys.  Since our household pays more attention to the guys behind the dish, and my son's Asperger's lets him enjoy the numbers, I thought it would be a good time to get some AAA info going as most eyes are on Basallo and his recovery/progression. Handley appears to be the primary 2024 catcher for the AAA Norfolk Tide.  This is the first year Handley is repeating a level in the minors (AAA) beyond the 1 week rehab with Bowie last year.  He has not been assigned to the taxi squad in 2024. This time last year he was injured so he only had 45 ABs.  His stats were .222/.407/.267/.779.  In 15 games he only had 2 doubles. Thru 21 games so far this season (20 C, 1 DH) he has 88 PA (75 AB).  this is 1/3 of his TOTAL AAA AB's in 2023.  He is batting .240/.352/.427/.779.  Including 6 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR.  Biggest change is his SLG is up nearly 160 points from this time in 2023.  His K rate is down 3% TO 21.6.  He also went into and came out of ST healthy and hasn't spent any time on the DL. Fangraphs 2023 end of year vs 2024 stats to date.  ISO is up from .093 to .187.  wRC is up from 89 to 105. These numbers put him in the top 3 of the International league's qualified catchers. Defensively, It is my opinion he has been too aggressive throwing the ball to 2nd resulting is a few skipped balls the infield could not come up.  These seem to happen in games where he is trying to help a struggling pitcher.  I imagine this would drop if he moves up.  His knowledge of the strike zone shows thru on the F/S/Sun games. From battery perspective, my son crunched some numbers for Norfolk's starting pitchers and 3 catchers to date (some of the AAA starters pitched after the MLB guys so even though relief, including these innings as starter innings.  The MLB rehabbers have been Bradish (2 Games / 8.1 Innings), Means (6/18.2), and Suarez (3/15.1) just 1 start.  Handley has caught all but 3.1 inning of Means.  Perez caught Means on 4/17 for the 1/3 inning he couldn't make it out of. The AAA guys are: McDermott (7G/28 Innings) who Handley has caught all but the 4/27 game where McDermott didn't get out of 1st inning (Perez).  Povich (6G/32.1).  Handley caught 4 to Perez's 2.  Povich has lasted 5 innings or better in all but one (4.2).    Armbruester is the one who seems to be inconsistent this year (6G/19.2) with Banuelos game 1, Handley games 2, 3, 5, and Perez Games 4 & 6 (which is the .1 inning game (Are you starting to see the pattern I have seen with Perez catching?)  Handley has caught 13 of the 19.2 innings but only 7 of the 25 runs scored against him.  Vs. the 18 in 6.2 innings with Banuelos and Perez.  Zimmerman is the only one who has been caught more by Perez than Handley.  3G to 2G.  Perez has caught 14.2 Innings/14 runs.  Handley has caught 10 innings, 3 runs (2 earned). In 31 games there have been 154innings from starting pitchers,                      Starts      IP      H      R     ER    BB    SO      ERA       H/9      BB/9      K/9 Banuelos         2        8.1     14    11    10       3       9    10.80    15.12      3.24        9.72 Handley         20    111.1     90    51    45    52    135      3.64      7.28      4.20     10.91 Perez              9         33      39    35    32    24      43      8.73    10.64      6.55      11.73   My son and I am are 'Handley Fans' and this data is available to all.  I am seeing that he isn't an all-star prospect but seems his time may be coming.  I  can't imagine the O's don't see this as well.  With McCann and Rutschman both healthy and doing reasonably well, if there is any injury with significant time to be missed, I think it may be Handley's chance to get his cup of coffee and maybe even a danish. I can't see Perez sticking around past his opt out date.  Banuelos is making a nice check on the Taxi Squad. Down in AA, Basallo has just started catching again (2 game) and his bat has been picking up.  Ardoin started very hot but has since cooled 5-12 in first 4 games, 7-30 the rest of April and 1-13 in May.  Pavolony appears to be healthy for the 1st time in his O's MILB career.  Was over .300 but has dipped the past 5 games to .239.  He is Rule 5 eligible and based on the depth above him... likely hoping for an opportunity elsewhere. Willems is hitting well in A+ but there is going to have to be movement up the ladder to make some room.  I think something could happen August or later. 
  • Popular Contributors