Orioles Searching Outside Organization for Backup C (per Roch)

canonfaz

Exactly. Clevenger seems like an ideal backup catcher for Wieters. Give him a chance to see if he can hit at the ML level in a platoon situation. Hopefully they are just looking for a minor league depth guy with ML experience.

Seems like Clevenger's bat has been pretty darn good in the minors, but he didn't look very good in the majors in 2012. He's been good in ST thus far. What about him points to him being able to find his bat as our 2nd catcher?

EDIT - I do find the idea of getting him in the lineup to play matchups, rather than simply pre-set offdays, intriguing.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the day-game-following-night-game issue: that gives Buck 2 options for getting Clevenger into the lineup to rest Matt. He only needs a RH pitcher for the night game or the day game. Clevenger playing either of those gets Matt the 24+ hours rest that he needs.

Here's a candidate, I guess:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Phillies&src=hash">#Phillies</a> have released Lou Marson, meaning Wil Nieves will be the team's backup catcher.</p>— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) <a href="

">March 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/marsolo01.shtml

Lou Merloni is playing catcher now. That guy has to be 45. I guess DD has ties to him in Boston.

Seems like Clevenger's bat has been pretty darn good in the minors, but he didn't look very good in the majors in 2012. He's been good in ST thus far. What about him points to him being able to find his bat as our 2nd catcher?

EDIT - I do find the idea of getting him in the lineup to play matchups, rather than simply pre-set offdays, intriguing.

I think you answered your own question. He looks good and needs more than a couple hundred ML AB's.

Seems like Clevenger's bat has been pretty darn good in the minors, but he didn't look very good in the majors in 2012. He's been good in ST thus far.
I do find the idea of getting him in the lineup to play matchups, rather than simply pre-set offdays, intriguing

I called this. Buck is more selective of his backup catcher than his wife, amazing. Clevenger is serviceable, can pinch hit and also play first. Frustrating he isn't the guy. Really frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I think Wieters bat could surprise with a little more rest (slight step up from 2011 numbers). Part of the reason I thought it would have been interesting (though obviously not a likely move) to sign McCann and chop up the rotation 3/2 and have Wieters/McCann split the C/DH duties.

Personally, I think Wieters bat could surprise with a little more rest (slight step up from 2011 numbers). Part of the reason I thought it would have been interesting (though obviously not a likely move) to sign McCann and chop up the rotation 3/2 and have Wieters/McCann split the C/DH duties.

Do we need a JTrea exorcism? I'm fresh out of holy water.

:D

Jordan Pacheco/Rockies...I would go with 3 catchers. Pacheco bats RH and can/has played a number of games at 3b/1b and c in the majors. He would back play 1b when Davis needs a day off against a tuff LH pitcher. He could also start at 3b in place of Manny (played mostly 3b in 2012). It also stops the talk of what happens when Matt D/H's and we lose the backup catcher and Matt has to move to catcher and we lose the D/H. The trick to this is Buck has to use his bench more.

I would offer Troy Patton, if more needed than a player that is out of options.

You don't like McCann? I thought it was one of the better deals of the whole offseason. But, I'm also sold on the value of framing.

He's one of the best catchers in the game right now, but I don't think the last 2-3 years (at minimum) of that contract are going to look very good. Lots of warning signs to consider (e.g., injury issues, lots of mileage). This article sums up a lot of my concerns (and it managed to add a few that hadn't occurred to me).

Really though, I was just poking fun at the Wieters/McCann split idea...not that having both wouldn't have been great, and not to ignore your acknowledgment that such a split was extremely unlikely...just that it reminded me of something a former poster might've rallied for :P

Archived