Orioles Searching Outside Organization for Backup C (per Roch)

canonfaz

Agreed. Clevenger was a great acquisition and good backup. He also is a great local kid. Enough already Buck! He is fine. He won't even be playing all that much. Plus he gives you a bat off the bench.

If we lose Clevenger, I will be furious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree on all terms.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope so.

I think it is Buck obsessing about allowing stolen bases.

The way to prevent stolen bases is to have pitchers who prevent guys from reaching first base.

I love Buck, but this "defense only" backup catcher mindset is not one of his strengths.

I think it's Buck using some psychology to bring out the best in Clevenger. He's sending the message that Defense is important, and it's great to have the offense, but he wants to make sure that anyone that wants to be the backup catcher cannot be complacent about defense regardless of their offense

Did you miss the report that they are looking for a catcher outside the organization? Is that also for motivation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck is either just doing typical Buck-speak to motivate Clevenger to focus on defense or he's actually being a nutcase about this. Clevenger is looking like he'll be the best backup catcher we've had in years. He's earned the chance to at least show if he can be a capable defensive backup over the course of the season. If he's even just an average catcher that will be plenty considering what he brings with the bat.

The way to prevent stolen bases is to have pitchers who prevent guys from reaching first base.

I love Buck, but this "defense only" backup catcher mindset is not one of his strengths.

Oh I fully agree. I still think tinkering with Matuz's delivery to improve his TTTP had a long term effect on him.

Is the team really truly wanting a backup catcher?

Or are they really looking for a starting catcher and trade Matt since they fear they are unable to sign him and will need a replacement for next season, got a ton of young catchers in the system, but doesn't look like any will be ready in time?

Or are they really looking for a starting catcher and trade Matt since they fear they are unable to sign him and will need a replacement for next season, got a ton of young catchers in the system, but doesn't look like any will be ready in time?

He is under team control next season. They won't need a replacement until 2016.

Well, they could be looking for a young catcher to start, but that won't be until after this season at the earliest. They aren't going to go into a season with a new catcher at this point, unless they were totally blown away with a trade offer, and I don't think that would happen.

I think that's what you're saying, but I don't think they would trade Matt until at least the trade deadline this year. The only way they'd be doing that is if the team is floundering, so I'm guessing we'll see Wieters here for at least this season.

Buck is either just doing typical Buck-speak to motivate Clevenger to focus on defense or he's actually being a nutcase about this. Clevenger is looking like he'll be the best backup catcher we've had in years. He's earned the chance to at least show if he can be a capable defensive backup over the course of the season. If he's even just an average catcher that will be plenty considering what he brings with the bat.

I believe the former explanation.

I would stick with Clevenger also. But does it really matter? Buck will catch or play Wieters 150 games if he can. I still dont see the draw to Wieters. I really hope they do something else rather than extend him when the time comes. If you had a platoon of say Clevenger and a RH batting catcher give you a line of .250/15/70 over a season and catch 25% of stealers would Wieters be missed?

I would stick with Clevenger also. But does it really matter? Buck will catch or play Wieters 150 games if he can. I still dont see the draw to Wieters. I really hope they do something else rather than extend him when the time comes. If you had a platoon of say Clevenger and a RH batting catcher give you a line of .250/15/70 over a season and catch 25% of stealers would Wieters be missed?

Me too, but God forbid Matt goes down with a season ending injury.

One thing about the way Matt takes away the running game that I never hear discussed is how infrequently teams attempt to run on him. I ran the numbers myself from last year, using catchers data on espn.com. Here's how the AL catchers (who caught enough innings to qualify) stacked up last season in innings caught per stolen base attempt (higher number is better).

Wieters 17.66

Perez 15.70

Stewart 15.62

Pierzynski 13.77

Arencibia 12.76

Salty 8.88

Ianetta 8.87

In other words, with Wieters behind the plate the O's have nearly an extra two innings between stole base attempts compared with any other team. So many bad things can happen when a steal is attempted, I think this stat is a significant part of MW's value.

One thing about the way Matt takes away the running game that I never hear discussed is how infrequently teams attempt to run on him. I ran the numbers myself from last year, using catchers data on espn.com. Here's how the AL catchers (who caught enough innings to qualify) stacked up last season in innings caught per stolen base attempt (higher number is better).

Wieters 17.66

Perez 15.70

Stewart 15.62

Pierzynski 13.77

Arencibia 12.76

Salty 8.88

Ianetta 8.87

In other words, with Wieters behind the plate the O's have nearly an extra two innings between stole base attempts compared with any other team. So many bad things can happen when a steal is attempted, I think this stat is a significant part of MW's value.

Nice work there!

Archived