If Hunter is handed the closing role how confident are you?

BamaOsFan

Of course the pay difference between Johnson and Hunter is pretty much paying for Nelson Cruz.

Yeah, but that's not going to make me feel any better on the days when Hunter blows a save. So, I hope he doesn't blow them too often.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Hunter has been pretty bad against lefties in his career. Most of those statistics, however, came as a starter. So what are the stats against lefties when he is in relief and pitching only one or two innings at max? I have to think that with the increase in velocity in his fastball and only seeing 3-5 hitters or so, his numbers against lefties will improve quite a bit. Or maybe that's just my hope.

He'll be fine. And if he isn't there are other pitchers, and one of them will probably be fine.

Hunter was a better starter than Johnson.

This.

The good thing with Hunter is that he isn't as entrenched in the role as JJ was. So, if he's not getting it done, I don't think Buck will wait as long to replace him.

It will be Tommy's at least until April 29th (when Patton returns). If Hunter can't handle it, let Britton take a shot.

I really like Britton and of all the calvary, I always thought he had the best stuff and best chance to be a difference maker. That said, I would not like to see Britton as closer. AT least not yet. Too often, he loses his mechanics and release points completely, which makes him lose control and walk people. Until he is more consistent with his mechanics, I do not want to see him anywhere near the ninth inning.

I know Hunter has been pretty bad against lefties in his career. Most of those statistics, however, came as a starter. So what are the stats against lefties when he is in relief and pitching only one or two innings at max? I have to think that with the increase in velocity in his fastball and only seeing 3-5 hitters or so, his numbers against lefties will improve quite a bit. Or maybe that's just my hope.

He pitched all of last year in relief. Lefties hit .294/.322/.535 off of him.

I really like Britton and of all the calvary, I always thought he had the best stuff and best chance to be a difference maker. That said, I would not like to see Britton as closer. AT least not yet. Too often, he loses his mechanics and release points completely, which makes him lose control and walk people. Until he is more consistent with his mechanics, I do not want to see him anywhere near the ninth inning.

Yeah, there are other people I'd look at before Britton. O'Day especially.

When you say "calvary," I assume you mean cavalry, Calvary is where Jesus was crucified.

He pitched all of last year in relief. Lefties hit .294/.322/.535 off of him.

But how many of those appearances were more than one inning? As a closer knowing he is only going one inning, he can ramp it up as we saw at times last year.

Here's every relief appearance between 2010 and 2013:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2010&ind=0&team=2&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=7,d

Other than 2013, Hunter doesn't have a body of work in relief pitching.

EDIT: I just noticed that he and Patton have similar career trends.

Archived