If Hunter is handed the closing role how confident are you?

BamaOsFan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We need a good closer. I could not care less about experienced. Kevin Gregg was experienced, Jim Johnson was not. Who did you prefer? All good closers have to start closing sometime.

Do I really have to say that the experienced closer should be good? Really!!! No one wants a bad experienced closer.

Its take time and lost games to sort through inexperienced closers. The only way you know they aren't cutting it is when they lose. And the team loses. Trial and error is not best way for a contending team to settle on a closer. Not if you want to get to the playoffs.

I agree with Drungo too. If he can't cut it we will find someone who can. Lots of good possibilities. I just hope you're right about Buck. I'll believe it when I see it.

The worst thing that happened to Jim and Buck last year was Jim's 2012.

Do I really have to say that the experienced closer should b e good? Really!!! No one wants a bad experienced closer.

Its take time and lost games to sort through inexperienced closers. The only way you know they aren't cutting it is when they lose. And the team loses. Trial and error is not best way for a contending team to settle on a closer. Not if you want to get to the playoffs.

What good closer is available?

We need a good closer. I could not care less about experienced. Kevin Gregg was experienced, Jim Johnson was not. Who did you prefer? All good closers have to start closing sometime.

This. Koji wasn't an experienced closer. The sainted Bailout wasn't very experienced either. I'm going to go ahead and trust Buck and Dan. Has worked out ok so far this season.

Buck has already commented on making sure that they don't put guys in a position to be in "harm's way". He said that's easier with better SP so that there are more options later in games. He also "joked" about seeing how Tommy does getting lefties out.

Maybe he'll rIde Tommy like he did JJ but he at least sounds like he s willing to be flexible.

This. Koji wasn't an experienced closer. The sainted Bailout wasn't very experienced either. I'm going to go ahead and trust Buck and Dan. Has worked out ok so far this season.

Buck has already commented on making sure that they don't put guys in a position to be in "harm's way". He said that's easier with better SP so that there are more options later in games. He also "joked" about seeing how Tommy does getting lefties out.

Maybe he'll rIde Tommy like he did JJ but he at least sounds like he s willing to be flexible.

Yes he was.

2007 he had 32 saves.

Just to be clear. He was given the chance to blow four in a row twice.
Didn't he get the next save opportunity "off" one of those times?

Yes. After the Arizona series, there were no save opportunities for the next six days, and one finally arrived on August 21, Buck went with Hunter. He went back to JJ the next time out and JJ began his season-ending streak of 11 consecutive saves. (To be fair, that season-ending streak wasn't without tension. JJ did lose a game to the Yankees during that streak when he entered the 9th inning of a tie game, nearly causing mass hare kare on OH, and he had a real nail biter in the final game of the year where he loaded the bases and escaped on a game ending DP that was bang-bang at 1B.)

That's very true. Buck has an M.O. tho. Look how long he kept Hardy in the 2-hole in 2012. He sticks with guys maybe longer than he should.

At the same time, he doesn't have guys looking over their shoulders worrying about what Buck is going to do the first time they fail.

Archived