Scout tells SI: Jimenez overrated, Tillman underrated

Frobby

I think this scout's logic is why we'll see Jimenez in the middle or back of the rotation within the next 18 months or so. He'd be a potentially incredible mid-rotation starter, or sometimes drop back to average. Plus, I think it's likely that Gausman and Bundy end up ahead of him within that timeframe anyway, with Tillman staying ahead of him.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the O's were in the NL folks wouldn't be predicting them to be a 77-79 win team. A lot of the pessimism thrown at the O's concerns how well the rest of the division is regarded.

Agreed although I also agree AlbionHero. I dont see Pittsburgh finding someone to replace what Burnett brought to that team last year...Liriano was a ? Last year but because he plays good now they expect him to be that again? Liriano or G Cole will not replace AJ.

Talk about being overrated, those are the pirates.

You don't think there may be some shades of gray between those two extremes?

There is and thats probably was will happen in this case.

I was just taking the two extremes. We discussed this quite a bit when the team first signed Jimenez and I think the signing is a good one as I know you do too, but its not set in stone that he will be a lock here, and I can see why people have doubts.

Would be nice if Ubaldo's pitching mechanics weren't so complicated because it seems like we are having some good reports (so far) regarding our new pitching coaches making minor tweaks that yield good results.

Ubaldo has so much going on that it would seem extremely difficult to keep what is there but make it better. For this reason he may be really frustrating to accept when he struggles since it will likely be blamed on mechanics.

Hopefully his wind up doesn't become the 2014 version of Strop's hat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Would be nice if Ubaldo's pitching mechanics weren't so complicated because it seems like we are having some good reports (so far) regarding our new pitching coaches making minor tweaks that yield good results.

Ubaldo has so much going on that it would seem extremely difficult to keep what is there but make it better. For this reason he may be really frustrating to accept when he struggles since it will likely be blamed on mechanics.

The "complication" of his delivery is part of his deception though. At the end of the day, Jimenez is a bit of a risk, but he has upside and it was a risk the Orioles neeeded to take. Honestly, almost all high priced free-agents are risky signings when you think about it.

If Jimenez is slightly overrated, then I believe that he was well worth the acquisition.

We need(ed) an experienced, solid starting pitcher, both to help the team this year, AND to bridge the gap for potential future starters such as Gausman, Bundy, and Eduardo Rodriguez. Jimenez is a good bet to accomplish this, on both counts.

If our offense is above average (and I expect it to be), then I believe that it will be a good season for the Orioles.

Well said

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

From SI's writeup of the Orioles:

http://mlb.si.com/2014/03/25/baltimore-orioles-2014-season-preview/

SI ranks us 20th among MLB teams, with a predicted record of 78-84.

Wow, everyone is predicting the Orioles to finish last. USA Today, BP, ESPN The Magazine and now SI. The Orioles have a lot to prove to the "in the know" crowd. C'mon Orioles, make them look foolish.

Isn't tweaking his mechanics what got him in trouble? I thought they told him at some point last yesr just to do his thing.

The "complication" of his delivery is part of his deception though. At the end of the day, Jimenez is a bit of a risk, but he has upside and it was a risk the Orioles neeeded to take. Honestly, almost all high priced free-agents are risky signings when you think about it.

Totally agree on the free-agent risky signing. Its basically the nature of the beast with FA contracts, especially in baseball compared to NFL. He and Cruz did very good things for the roster in that they clearly earn a spot in the rotation and batting order, and it allows guys below them to slot into more appropriate positions in the rotation/order - meaning the expectations we can have for those other guys doesn't have to be sooo optimistic.

I would bet that Wallace/Chiti would gladly give up some of that deception though, in favor for something with fewer moving pieces. Maybe they can distill the unintended movements out of his wind-up so that the hand cocking stays but the errant stuff you hear pitchers talking about (shoulder flying open, leg not landing towards home, etc). I like what I have heard so far, but its still ST so it all remains to be seen.

Isn't tweaking his mechanics what got him in trouble? I thought they told him at some point last yesr just to do his thing.

It very well could be. Certainly wouldn't be a new phenomenon for an athlete who suddenly second guesses what his body wants to do naturally. But it would seem like with so many motions in his delivery, even left to his own devices to just "do his thing" would predictably open the door more often for bad elements to creep in compared to a guy who had less moving pieces. Seems to me there would just be more room for error with more opportunity.

I have read that Ubaldo is obsessive about it though, spending lots and lots of time looking in a mirror while doing his wind up. And he has certainly said all the right things since joining the club, so one can only feel optimistic really that he can stay on track, especially with the help of Wallace and Chiti. Hope so.

Archived