Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

Schoop looks great right now. He's hitting frozen ropes on both fastballs and offspeed and has even gone the other way a couple times recently. Last year he faded after a hot start. If he can keep it relatively consistent throughout the season that will be big for us. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He better start fielding or his future is the outfield. 

I always thought he was an average or slightly above average fielder overall.

But it looks like you are more correct.  Over 3.5 ish seasons now with the O's, Schoop has a defensive WAR (cumulative) of 1.5.  So far he on pace for about -1.5 just for 2017, which would be his worst. 

Can people explain to me what he's doing worse this year?  Obv 6 errors in 50 games is not good, but it can't just be that, can it?

14 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I always thought he was an average or slightly above average fielder overall.

But it looks like you are more correct.  Over 3.5 ish seasons now with the O's, Schoop has a defensive WAR (cumulative) of 1.5.  So far he on pace for about -1.5 just for 2017, which would be his worst. 

Can people explain to me what he's doing worse this year?  Obv 6 errors in 50 games is not good, but it can't just be that, can it?

His range is below average.   Terrific arm and if he can reach it, he'll convert it, but he doesn't reach as many balls as the lighter, faster guys.   

• 2 weeks later...

o

(vs. CARDINALS, 6/17)

NUMBER 12

JONATHAN RUFINO JEZUS SCHOOP

o

On 6/17/2017 at 6:03 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. CARDINALS, 6/17)

NUMBER 12

o

o

(vs. CARDINALS, 6/17)

NUMBER 13

o

• 2 weeks later...

I predict that Schoop's recent hot streak will earn him his first All-Star appearance. Among AL 2B he's first in HR, second in the all-around offensive stats like OPS, wOBA, and wRC, and third in WAR. Altuve is the only 2B in the league having a better season. When you add in that the O's don't have many viable All-Star candidates and that another 2B contender, Starlin Castro, just got injured, I think it seals the deal. 

This was the right choice. Brach was the only other possibility but Schoop has done much more to deserve this. He's the mandatory Orioles representative, but he also earned this. He would have deserved to go regardless of that rule.

Archived