Are we too plodding?

baltfan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SBs are overrated. Last year we were #4 in runs scored, and we added Nelson Cruz. Lough will provide some SBs when he plays, and AJ can steal a base. Don't fix what ain't broke. We are going to score some runs this year and that is all that matters. If we could improve somewhere, I would focus more on OBP than SB.

The one thing I noticed during the game yesterday was that almost no one on this team is a threat to run. Maybe we were a bit spoiled the last couple of years with Mclouth, but we sure look one dimensional.

No. Other than Wieters and Nick and J.J., no one is slow. And there is no need for that foolish bunting and getting thrown out stealing type of game.

SBs are overrated. Last year we were #4 in runs scored, and we added Nelson Cruz. Lough will provide some SBs when he plays, and AJ can steal a base. Don't fix what ain't broke. We are going to score some runs this year and that is all that matters. If we could improve somewhere, I would focus more on OBP than SB.

We could increase our OBP .50 points by decreasing it .50 points in slugging. I would not recommend that though.

Cruz made a great read on the bloop single by Wieters. Baserunning isn't all about speed. Also, someone did a study on sbs a few years back that purported to show that sbs only help a team if you are over 70%. Now, I take the advanced metrics with a grain of salt as they don't show how a pitcher changes his approach with a base stealer on the bases and they don't show how the subsequent hitters get better pitches to hit. Personally, I think we are ok as constituted. Yes, I'd rather have more sb threats, yes, I'd rather have faster players. But, we are the Orioles, not the Yanks or Redsox. We can't simply pay 20 million per year for whatever we may desire.

It's normal for baseball players to be slow. It's not really an athletic thing and you can be fat and still really good. Like Cabrera, Fielder, Sabathia, Ortiz, Pujols, etc. It doesn't really matter how fast you are.

Pujols fat? I think your eyes are deceiving you.

Archived