Chen and Gonzalez-are they done?

Bahama O's Fan

Let's face it; neither came with major expectations and both have been overachievers for the O's. I predict both will have ballooning ERA's this year. Is now the time to set them aside and start looking for better options? Should they sit when Yoon, Santana, Bundy are ready. Should we replace one of them with Britton?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's face it; neither came with major expectations and both have been overachievers for the O's. I predict both will have ballooning ERA's this year. Is now the time to set them aside and start looking for better options? Should they sit when Yoon' date=' Santana, Bundy are ready. Should we replace one of them with Britton?[/quote']

Chen is a league average starter. Miguel Gonzales as well. I doubt we have anyone that can pitch to that level at this point. Kevin and Johan will get their chances. Britton is our relief ace.

There may come a time this season when Chen, Gonzalez or Bud Norris should be put in the bullpen in favor of Gausman, Johan Santana, or someone else.

But that time is quite a ways off. All of the pitchers in the O's rotation have enough of a major league track record that they should get the benefit of the doubt for a while, as long as they are healthy.

Let's face it; neither came with major expectations and both have been overachievers for the O's. I predict both will have ballooning ERA's this year. Is now the time to set them aside and start looking for better options? Should they sit when Yoon' date=' Santana, Bundy are ready. Should we replace one of them with Britton?[/quote']

I know they got the good stuff in the Bahama's but ease off before you post :)

Yes what this team needs to do is dump overachievers....no team needs those kinda of guys and we all know that overachievers stink at making adjustments and finding a way to get the most out of their talent.....oh wait my bad....that's kinda the definition of an overachiever.

In all seriousness this post might have some merit 60-80 games in if guys are still struggling but at this point it is absolute nonsense and not worth discussion till we have some inkling based on their numbers if any of those 3 can contribute this season.

Chen is a league average starter. Miguel Gonzales as well. I doubt we have anyone that can pitch to that level at this point. Kevin and Johan will get their chances. Britton is our relief ace.

Britton should spend this season in the relief ace role and then move into the starting rotation next season. This season allows his confidence to grow with success at the big league level. The stuff is back (remember the John Lester comps) so he could do quite well in the rotation.

I see no reason to think Gonzo and Chen wont be pretty much the same pitchers they have been, any more than I see a reason to think Davis will only hit 13 HR this year because he only has one in his first 51 PA.

In Gonzalez' case, I don't think you need to overreact to a small sample size to worry about regression. His FIP and xFIP were nearly a run higher than his ERA from 2012-13.

Given that his surgery kept Chen from doing a full workout regimen in the off-season, I could see him being moved to the bullpen later this year. But even if that happens, I would still expect him to be a starter next year.

I think he will be a starter next year, but it might be a different uniform as DD may look to move a starter or two to open up a spot(s) in the rotation.

I think he will be a starter next year, but it might be a different uniform as DD may look to move a starter or two to open up a spot(s) in the rotation.

If the projected rotation for next season includes Tillman, Jimenez, Gausman, and Bundy, then there will be room for only one of Chen, Gonzo, and Norris. That could be a nice problem to have.

LOL- Yoon? Santana? Bundy?

You are talking 2 guys coming back from MAJOR injuries and a guy who hasnt even proven himself in the minors...

This forum is getting a tad redonkulous

Rather him than Tad Dipzinski.

This is the one thing I hate about April baseball -- people drawing grand conclusions from the results of a handful of games. Sure, it could be the case that Chen or Gonzalez won't repeat their past success. But I won't even begin to think seriously about that for several more weeks.

Rather him than Tad Dipzinski.

Im as frustrated as the next about the Orioles start. But lets not jump to anything rash. I mean come on. How about this? We should replace Jones with someone who has a better OBP because THAT will fix the Orioles offensive problems.

Have Gonzo and Chen NOT proven they cant hold their own in a major league rotation? But assuming they havent, and that is an a$$ u me situation, lets replace them with two guys who are still a long way away from throwing a major league pitch or a guy who hasnt exactly dominated in AAA or ANY minor league affiliate.

How about lets let some of this shake out. Is anyone pulling away in the Al East yet? Last I checked the Orioles are two game out of first place.

Archived