Hardy confused from lack of extension talk

SerenityNow

I would not want a four year contract for Hardy either. I do think sometimes you throw an agent a bone to build a relationship. Not saying Hardy is the spot for that at all. But sometimes you do what you have to because relationships are important.

Is that an agent that should be thrown a bone? Or should that agent be very pleased with how Baltimore resurrected the career of his client to the point that he might get a very nice deal.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JJ definitely said he wants to know if he was going to stay at shortstop. He wants it worked out before a contract is signed. Did that affect DD's thinking. We don't know.
Hardy also would like to know what the club is thinking about the future of the shortstop position in Baltimore and whether the Orioles see Manny Machado moving there at some point over the next few seasons.

"If there are any intentions at all of signing me to a long-term deal and wanting Manny to move over to short, I would definitely want to know that before. Because, yeah, I still feel like I can play shortstop and that is what I want to do."

But Hardy stopped short of saying he would want an assurance from the club that he will stay at short.

"For me, for one, I haven't heard one thing about it," Hardy said. "I think it is starting more of a firestorm in bringing up stuff that is just ... I don't know, stuff I don't want to deal with. When it comes up, if it comes up and Buck (Showalter) tells me, it will be something to address. Until then I don't really know what to say about it."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2014/03/jj-hardy-the-ball-is-in-their-court-if-they-want-me-plus-minor-league-notes.html

Seems pretty reasonable to me that Hardy would want to know what the team's plans are. It's not like he's taken the position that he only wants to extend if he will remain at SS.

I think I've said enough on this whole topic. You're right that we may not know everything that has been discussed, I just don't like the picture that I am able to see.

He was playing in the spring then all of a sudden they pulled him completely off all baseball activities so who knows?

They know his medical history. Was it worth a million dollars to risk losing what he could contribute to the team this year? Would another team have jumped in if they had non-tendered him?

The more I look at it, and the more the story unfurls, the more I am convinced that signing Nolan to that deal wasn't about helping the Orioles win games.

That would be very nice of them, and as with CA-Os and weams I am happy you have the confidence/positive feelings towards to front office to make the slight logical leap to give them credit/the benefit of the doubt.

Either way, I never meant to imply the front office has never done a nice thing for any player.

He was playing in the spring then all of a sudden they pulled him completely off all baseball activities so who knows?

They know his medical history. Was it worth a million dollars to risk losing what he could contribute to the team this year? Would another team have jumped in if they had non-tendered him?

The more I look at it, and the more the story unfurls, the more I am convinced that signing Nolan to that deal wasn't about helping the Orioles win games.

Nolan's injury occurred while winning a game for the Orioles in 2012 while sacrificing his body in the stands.

If you are walking away than you don't want them. I'm talking about players you want to sign, and instead they choose to walk away.

That's not true. You have to understand what I'm saying here. They walk away because of money. I'm sure all of Wieters, Hardy and Davis WANT to sign extensions here.

That would be very nice of them, and as with CA-Os and weams I am happy you have the confidence/positive feelings towards to front office to make the slight logical leap to give them credit/the benefit of the doubt.

Either way, I never meant to imply the front office has never done a nice thing for any player.

Seriously, is anyone on this board less sentimental then I am?

That's not true. You have to understand what I'm saying here. They walk away because of money. I'm sure all of Wieters, Hardy and Davis WANT to sign extensions here.

I think you are being loose with "want". It sounds like what you are really saying is "I'm sure Wieters, Hardy and Davis want to sign extensions here for the right price/years." Building relationships with players/agents is about making sure the variables that go into the decision are about more than the bottom line. Money and years ALWAYS matter. It's incorrect to think that the player/agent simply pulls out a calculator and computes the best years/money offer and goes to that team.

Sometimes the money/years is too good to pass up. Usually there are a couple similar deals and the player goes where he feels comfortable (and that comfort comes in part from his agent -- which is why you want agents saying nice things about you and your org).

I don't know. Put I admire your optimism with regards to operation of the front office.

The front office that everyone admired the most two years ago is going to be fired if they do not win this year. I look forward to the Orioles hastening their demise in this next series.

The front office that everyone admired the most two years ago is going to be fired if they do not win this year. I look forward to the Orioles hastening their demise in this next series.

I just watched their Low A club -- gotta say I don't disagree with the org's approach to acquiring talent. Developing it might be another question.

I think you are being loose with "want". It sounds like what you are really saying is "I'm sure Wieters, Hardy and Davis want to sign extensions here for the right price/years." Building relationships with players/agents is about making sure the variables that go into the decision are about more than the bottom line. Money and years ALWAYS matter. It's incorrect to think that the player/agent simply pulls out a calculator and computes the best years/money offer and goes to that team.

Sometimes the money/years is too good to pass up. Usually there are a couple similar deals and the player goes where he feels comfortable (and that comfort comes in part from his agent -- which is why you want agents saying nice things about you and your org).

Are you sure you are right? OR is it Always about the money, or setting themselves up for the right situation to assure the most money? I've never seen it proven otherwise. With the handful of exceptions that there are to any absolute. To try to influence the position of those that are truly in the .5 percent group is a poor use of efforts i am afraid. When the dialog becomes one of it not being about the money, I can assure that agents in the business are agents because they get a fair AAV for their clients, and that is rarely a good deal for ownership.

That said, I am uncertain that Dan spent his Ubaldo money wisely.

All things being equal, good hitters don't choose to go to Seattle or San Diego, and good pitchers don't choose to come to the AL East.

You keep saying this, but I'm not sure everything is stemming from optimism. Maybe from weams, yes. ;) But there are some legitimate reasons to view this in a light that isn't purely negative. None of us really know much for certain, so both sides have good points here. Just saying, let's not pin it all on our individual kool aid levels.

I think you are reading into my comments. I never even implied that the optimism was stemming from blind faith. Everyone looks at a situation and makes their own assessment. I admire that those three see the totality of the facts available to them in an optimistic light. Optimism does not equal kool aid. Pessimism does not equal hater aid.

Archived