Flash Era Coming to an End?

Shabadoo25

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I will say that I hope you are right, and I will continue to root for Flaherty when he plays. Occasionally, you find a guy who performs well later on, like Mora. I think that possibility remains with Flaherty, I just think it's a very, very small possibility.

That being said, I still don't buy the argument. So how many at bats do we waste until we realize that he is what he is? 1,000? 1,500? It's true Flaherty has never had a whole year starting, but he's done nothing to justify that he should. He started 59 games at 2B last year, Roberts had 60. So, Flaherty basically played 2B as much as any player on the O's last year, albeit only 59. His numbers won't just improve all of a sudden because he gets more PAs. If that were the case, he'd have better numbers this year since he's seen more major league pitching than he had a year ago.

You're OBP-AVG delta is an interesting one, but I would argue that the same delta is not guaranteed or to be expected when jumping from the minors (and with Flaherty it's basically AA) all the way to MLB. Getting on base is harder, walks are more difficult to come by. ML numbers don't necessarily translate to MLB.

Using this logic, would you argue Caleb Joseph or David Lough would have much better numbers if we played them more? Caleb had a monster season last year at Bowie. He's only hitting .128, but that's only in 47 ABs. Should we play him 4 out of every five days so that he can try to replicate his 840 OPS at Bowie? Similarly, David Lough has never gotten the opportunity to play a "full season" in the big leagues. Last year, he played in 96 big league games - so a little over half a season. Should all his detractors give him more of an opportunity because his career ML OPS is over 800? He's has almost the exact number of PAs this year as Flaherty. Will you argue for Lough to have more playing time so he can achieve something closer to his career ML numbers or does this logic only apply to Flaherty?

I would actually be ok with each of the three you mentioned playing every day for a month at this point.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just my two cents: I see Flaherty as our starting shortstop next year and perhaps sooner if the Orioles fall out of it by 7/31 and decide to move Hardy.:cool:

Not that I think what you see is ever going to happen, but if somehow if does, I will go on record that we will have the worst shortstop in the major leagues starting games. Same if you stick him at second base.. He is a backup, and that is it. A left handed hitting Robert Andino, although I think Robert was more clutch.

Not that I think what you see is ever going to happen, but if somehow if does, I will go on record that we will have the worst shortstop in the major leagues starting games. Same if you stick him at second base.. He is a backup, and that is it. A left handed hitting Robert Andino, although I think Robert was more clutch.

As usual your analysis holding my side and laughing hard.

Andino is at AAA right now and not even in the bigs, so to say he is better than somebody playing at the MLB is laughable.

As usual your analysis holding my side and laughing hard.

Andino is at AAA right now and not even in the bigs, so to say he is better than somebody playing at the MLB is laughable.

No, I said he and Flaherty are about the same player, other than Andino as an Oriole came through with more clutch hits. So you could view this as two possible ways, Andino belongs in the minors and so should Flaherty, or Andino should be on a big league club as a utility guy if Flaherty can do the same.

No, I said he and Flaherty are about the same player, other than Andino as an Oriole came through with more clutch hits. So you could view this as two possible ways, Andino belongs in the minors and so should Flaherty, or Andino should be on a big league club as a utility guy if Flaherty can do the same.

Flash is here, because he is a better utility player and does have some pop in his bat.

Andino is a good bench guy with no bat.

Apparently, none of the other MLB clubs share your opinion about Andino belonging in the big leagues.

Flash is here, because he is a better utility player and does have some pop in his bat.

Andino is a good bench guy with no bat.

Apparently, none of the other MLB clubs share your opinion about Andino belonging in the big leagues.

Funny, I have seen no evidence of any so called "pop" in Flaherty's bat. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. That describes Flaherty hitting a home run. it is a rare event.....

Everytime he hits a ball hard his supporters come out of the woodwork.

Yeah, and we will probably see them again around mid-July. I have never seen any mediocre utility guy so overated as he is. He probably is the best marginal major leaguer ever to play the game.....:laughlol:

Ryan Flaherty, David Lough, Jonathan Schoop, and Caleb Joseph are all batting under .230. None of them are very good offensive players at the big league level.

They all appear to have an equal shot at surprising us on occasion, but mostly failing.

There's not a lot to talk about.

Lough and Joseph I have never really had all that much confidence in other than in reserve type roles.

Schoop I feel is a little early to tell. I still think he has the potential to be a decent player. I have hope for him.

Flaherty at this point pretty much is who he is. Good utility guy to have around but is not a starter.

• 4 weeks later...

30 pt higher OPS than Schoop coming into this game and has a double. Once again--surprise surprise--seems to be benefiting from getting a few games in a row instead of being the utility man, where you don't know when the ABs will come.

Playing stellar defense, this time at 3B, his supposed lesser position.

Is it time to finally give him the starting 2B job (when Manny returns)??

30 pt higher OPS than Schoop coming into this game and has a double. Once again--surprise surprise--seems to be benefiting from getting a few games in a row instead of being the utility man, where you don't know when the ABs will come.

Playing stellar defense, this time at 3B, his supposed lesser position.

Is it time to finally give him the starting 2B job (when Manny returns)??

That's a no for me.

Schoop has been pretty darn good defensively at 2B once he settled in. I think his bat will continue to improve. He hit .243/.300/.624 in June that is more than respectable for a rookie IMO.

Flaherty has more versatility and should be the utility guy for now.,

Archived