Flash Era Coming to an End?

Shabadoo25

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 pt higher OPS than Schoop coming into this game and has a double. Once again--surprise surprise--seems to be benefiting from getting a few games in a row instead of being the utility man, where you don't know when the ABs will come.

Playing stellar defense, this time at 3B, his supposed lesser position.

Is it time to finally give him the starting 2B job (when Manny returns)??

If we just played him everyday he would be an all-star, right? :rolleyestf:

Are there any metrics supporting his "stellar" defense this season? I think he's been slightly above average since coming to the big leagues, but stellar seems a little strong. Baseball reference gives him a 0.0 dWAR this season (albeit sss).

At least he's gotten hits in the last two games and we can all agree that's a good thing. I hope he keeps it up (just don't think he will).

I get the "Flash" nickname now. He shows flashes of brilliance sometimes, which is why some fans still see potential there. He stung that home run Wednesday. Off a lefty to boot. OPS up to ~.650 now.

Buck will have to start him vs. all righties now for a while and ride this hot streak.

I get the "Flash" nickname now. He shows flashes of brilliance sometimes, which is why some fans still see potential there. He stung that home run Wednesday. Off a lefty to boot. OPS up to ~.650 now.

Buck will have to start him vs. all righties now for a while and ride this hot streak.

He shows flashes when he is allowed to play regularly.

If we just played him everyday he would be an all-star, right? :rolleyestf:

Don't think the straw-man is necessary...

Are there any metrics supporting his "stellar" defense this season? I think he's been slightly above average since coming to the big leagues, but stellar seems a little strong. Baseball reference gives him a 0.0 dWAR this season (albeit sss).

I was referring to the last few games at 3B. Hence the "this time at 3B" part. No, there are no metrics for his stellar defense this season, though last season there are, equally confounded by SSS (as is most of Flaherty's career!).

But from watching him, can't we all agree he is a pretty good defender?

Ryan Flaherty is now OPS+ing an 81, same as Derek Jeter. A lot of starting 2B/SS are OPS+ing between 80 and 90.

I don't know if I've ever seen so much discussion over a utility infielder. Did Robert Andino get this kind of treatment?

I'm not gonna sit here and let anyone speak Ill of the great andino.

ygyse5a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think the straw-man is necessary...

I was referring to the last few games at 3B. Hence the "this time at 3B" part. No, there are no metrics for his stellar defense this season, though last season there are, equally confounded by SSS (as is most of Flaherty's career!).

But from watching him, can't we all agree he is a pretty good defender?

Pretty quick drop from stellar to pretty good.

Last year he was solid. This year he is nothing special.

Glad he is in one of hit hot streaks, I hope he helps the O's win some games while Manny is suspended.

Everybody....let's stop playing the petty semantics game....please!

Per Merriam-Webster: stellar = very good.

And in the 3 games Flaherty has played while filling in for Machado at 3B, his play has been better than very good - its been exceptional. I would think people should be happy instead of delving into speculation. IMO, Flaherty is a "stellar = very good" utility player that the Orioles are very happy to have.....and so should their fans.

Pretty quick drop from stellar to pretty good.

Last year he was solid. This year he is nothing special.

Other than a couple unusual errors. his play/skills look just the same as last year. if he was playing second almost everyday (like last year) he would be just as "solid".

Glad he is in one of hit hot streaks, I hope he helps the O's win some games while Manny is suspended.

It has already happened.

Read again. The adjective "stellar" referred to his last few games at 3B. And given the plays he's made there I don't think stellar is an exaggeration, do you?

Sorry, I misread. You must admit you have been a bit effusive in your praise in the past. :P

Sorry, I misread. You must admit you have been a bit effusive in your praise in the past. :P

Absolutely. It's just kind of my thing to try and balance out what I consider to be excessive negativity about Ryan with unabashed fanboyism. Call it innocuous trolling. Naturally--when I find myself in the game thread, and when I inevitably predict Ryan will do big things in his upcoming AB if he's playing--I'm not 100% serious. :)

Absolutely. It's just kind of my thing to try and balance out what I consider to be excessive negativity about Ryan with unabashed fanboyism. Call it innocuous trolling. Naturally--when I find myself in the game thread, and when I inevitably predict Ryan will do big things in his upcoming AB if he's playing--I'm not 100% serious. :)

Now see I am the opposite. I see what looks to be out of line praise for players I tend to throw the wet towel of statistical evidence on them.

Archived