Time to give another starter a chance

FanSince88

Gonzalez has had 6 starts. 4 decent ones and two stinkers.

In four of his starts he has gone 22.7 IP, 8 ER, 3.17 ERA

In two of his starts he has gone 8 IP, 10 ER, 10.25 ERA.

I agree he has to do better but he is going to need to have a few more bad one before the O's replacement as a starter.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't the first thread that puts Norris in this category. I don't get it. He's got the best WHIP of all of our starters. 2nd on the team in WAR for pitchers, and his ERA is just a shade above Tillman's. He's going as much or more than we could want from him.

Gonzo was pitching pretty well before the fifth inning.If he gets a double play its a

different game maybe, but then, a pitcher MUST do his own clean up of bad breaks.

Also, he was within an inch of getting a strike 3 call,but again, excuses don't matter

for ineffectiveness. A good pitcher finds a way out of the mess.

I think we have a lot of guys not into cold(er) weather baseball.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I agree with the comments on Gonzo and Chen, but not Bud Norris. He is doing his job as good as anyone right now (hope I don't jinx him). At any rate, I for one don't like the suggestion of moving Britton to the rotation now as I would be afraid that would ruin his bounce back as a short reliever. He reminds me a bit of Matusz in that he is okay for about an inning or to, but gets out of sync if he tries to go longer and can't keep the ball down or loses command.

No need to mess with what is working with him to solve another problem by creating a new one. I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Johnson get a shot though in the rotation or as a long man to help out these short inning starters.

I agree with the comments on Gonzo and Chen, but not Bud Norris. He is doing his job as good as anyone right now (hope I don't jinx him). At any rate, I for one don't like the suggestion of moving Britton to the rotation now as I would be afraid that would ruin his bounce back as a short reliever. He reminds me a bit of Matusz in that he is okay for about an inning or to, but gets out of sync if he tries to go longer and can't keep the ball down or loses command.

No need to mess with what is working with him to solve another problem by creating a new one. I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Johnson get a shot though in the rotation or as a long man to help out these short inning starters.

I agree with you except for Steve Johnson. Not sure about him. But maybe he

could help.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/27220826-573/jake-arrieta-strong-in-season-debut-as-cubs-drop-cards.html#.U2bZYcdEDRc

To be clear-I liked the Feldman deal. I was hoping we would resign him (he got more than I expected though). Just posting as a conversation piece.

Also to note, Wada is pitching well for AAA Chicago Cubs and Yoon..well, is last year's Wada.

Feldman wouldn't be doing that well in the AL East. After watching him here last year he didn't have a put away pitch.

Checking his stats he's currently pitching way over his head. His WHIP is .93. His career WHIP is 1.35

He hasn't given up a home run in 26 2/3 innings. After surrendering 1 every 10 innings. He's certainly enjoying pitching in Houston.

The result is that he is giving up just over 5 hits per nine innings. Even with the park splits he's still pitching over his head.

The guy is no better than a 5 starter/long man in the AL East.

Feldman wouldn't be doing that well in the AL East. After watching him here last year he didn't have a put away pitch.

Checking his stats he's currently pitching way over his head. His WHIP is .93. His career WHIP is 1.35

He hasn't given up a home run in 26 2/3 innings. After surrendering 1 every 10 innings. He's certainly enjoying pitching in Houston.

The result is that he is giving up just over 5 hits per nine innings. Even with the park splits he's still pitching over his head.

The Orioles and DD tried to bring Feldman back. Buck wanted him back and they both thought he could pitch well for the team.

However, DD wasn't interested in going to three years with the young arms in the minors, and of course it was in Feldman's best interest to grab the 3 year deal.

Gonzalez has had 6 starts. 4 decent ones and two stinkers.

In four of his starts he has gone 22.7 IP, 8 ER, 3.17 ERA

In two of his starts he has gone 8 IP, 10 ER, 10.25 ERA.

I agree he has to do better but he is going to need to have a few more bad one before the O's replacement as a starter.

The problem there is that even in his four "good" starts he didn't average 6 innings/start. He really needs to start getting deeper into games. He hasn't been horrible, even yesterday, but we need to see him getting through 6 innings more regularly.

I don't disagree but we needed a type like that to start last year (instead of "winging it" with Jake). He def helped is last year but agree on your assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem there is that even in his four "good" starts he didn't average 6 innings/start. He really needs to start getting deeper into games. He hasn't been horrible, even yesterday, but we need to see him getting through 6 innings more regularly.

I second that emotion and I think he will get there. He has done so for a season and a half. I am hoping that warm weather helps him.

No one really to replace any of the starters with. Britton-not stretched out. Gausman-only has thrown 75 pitches in a game and may be weak when he comes back. Santana-not ready. No one can come up and eat innings at the present time. This month with vert few off days will till wether the orioles will be able to not blow out the bullpen and be able to contend.

No one really to replace any of the starters with. Britton-not stretched out. Gausman-only has thrown 75 pitches in a game and may be weak when he comes back. Santana-not ready. No one can come up and eat innings at the present time. This month with vert few off days will till wether the orioles will be able to not blow out the bullpen and be able to contend.

Just probably means that Weeks is going to be sent down and a pitcher is added to the pen.

Archived