Buck And "His Guy"

Rene88

Someone needs to tell Buck you don't have to pitch your closer every day. There is no rule. JJ's overuse and ineffectiveness was partially the fault of Buck, and ultimately a part of why we didn't make the playoffs last year.

I understand wanting to reward your players, but using a Britton or O'Day won't unleash the heavens.

Moderation Buck, moderation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britton and O'Day both pitched yesterday, so what's the difference?

That said, Hunter is living extremely dangerously. He hasn't pitched a clean inning all year. The odds are going to catch up to him. Good thing he had his glove in the right spot.

It is odd to me that he made such a big deal when he got here about the "win rule" and not the "save rule". I mean they even made that promo with him saying it. Yet he follows that save rule as religiously as any manager. Even if it's not a save situation to start the inning, the second it becomes one he's out there to bring in the closer. Just doesn't add up.

I despise the entire idea of a "closing pitcher." I've said that before many times on this board.

Why not look at who's due up and go from there with your matchups. If it means leaving your 8th inning guy in the game for a batter or 2, do it! If it means Hunter for 1 before bringing in a lefty for 2, then do that.

The whole "this guy MUST pitch the ninth in a save situation" idea is so overrated in my opinion unless you have a guy like Mariano.

Isnt Hunter 7/8 on save opps? And could be wrong but doesn't he have a win also?

No game Monday. What's the big deal.

He was a starter turned RP. Now a closer. I don't think a large workload is something to worry about with Hunter.

I despise the entire idea of a "closing pitcher." I've said that before many times on this board.

Why not look at who's due up and go from there with your matchups. If it means leaving your 8th inning guy in the game for a batter or 2, do it! If it means Hunter for 1 before bringing in a lefty for 2, then do that.

The whole "this guy MUST pitch the ninth in a save situation" idea is so overrated in my opinion unless you have a guy like Mariano.

Totally agree. You would think a forward thinking manager like a Joe Maddon would have executed this line of thinking by now. By doing this you also can use your best reliever (Britton for us) in the highest leverage situations which are often NOT in the ninth inning.

Spot on post. Completely agree. No way Buck changes his ways though.

It is odd to me that he made such a big deal when he got here about the "win rule" and not the "save rule". I mean they even made that promo with him saying it. Yet he follows that save rule as religiously as any manager. Even if it's not a save situation to start the inning, the second it becomes one he's out there to bring in the closer. Just doesn't add up.

That was when his closer pronounced his name See-Moan.

Well, there were 3 righties coming up, and he brought in Hunter. So he pretty much did that, at least to start the inning.

Spot on post. Completely agree. No way Buck changes his ways though.

Not that I care for Hunter as closer as I think he throws up in the zone too much for a closer. But the Orioles and other teams tried the closer by committee and that rarely turns out to be a good thing either.

With 2 other lefties already in the pen Britton should be the closer at this point. Hunter is better as a set up guy.

More righthanded hitters. Drawing to poor odds with a left handed closer.

Archived