High time for Schoop to go down?

LookitsPuck

35 strikeouts, 3 walks in 126 plate appearances. His defense is only limited to 2B as his play at 3B is largely poor. Far too many strikeouts, IMHO. Unfortunately the options are rather slim.

Might be best to send him down, call up Lombardozzi or Weeks.

Last 10 games for each:

Weeks

281/452/406, 859 OPS.

Lombardozzi

318/348/364, 711 OPS

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This post makes you sound like you are talking about someone entirely different than Schoop or that you aren't an Orioles fan. Schoop is only 22.

We can put up with the low average and strikeouts as long as he hits for power. Haven't seen any power, even a long fly ball, in quite some time.

Agree, age is a huge factor.

I'm a huge Schoop fan but it's time to send him down. Lombardozzi would be my choice but Weeks would be welcomed too. I'm actually in favor of a Flaherty/Schoop for Lombo/Weeks swap. Flaherty's had his chance to be the 2nd baseman for parts of three seasons now. Let's see what both of Lombo and Weeks can do with a long look. They both add more speed and are SH.

This post makes you sound like you are talking about someone entirely different than Schoop or that you aren't an Orioles fan. Schoop is only 22.

We can put up with the low average and strikeouts as long as he hits for power. Haven't seen any power, even a long fly ball, in quite some time.

For some reason I thought he was 23 or 24. Neither are terribly old for AAA, I suppose.

Sheesh. Tough room.

Schoop only has 289 AAA PAs and had put up a .703 OPS between AA and AAA. As I said all spring, Schoop is not ready to contribute on a daily basis yet at the major league level. He has some skills, but right now, his hacker ways hurts the Orioles because he so similair to Jones and Machado. The Orioles can't afford to have three guys in the lineup who will never take a walk.

The Orioles need to bring Lombardozzi or Weeks up and platoon them with Flaherty. Let Schoop force his way back up. When he's ready, they'll know it.

The front office is very mindful of service time issues. I think the plan all along was to give him big league experience while Machado was out and then send him back to AAA unless he absolutely lit the world on fire. There's no reason to think they're not going to stick to the plan...

Actually I'm not sure it would be a bad idea to send both Schoop and Flaherty down. We need guys that can get on base and Weeks and Lombo can do that. Lombo can fill in at short for a game if Hardy gets hurt. We could then bring back Flaherty if need be. Right now this is a very right handed line up. With the addition of these two it gives us a lot more balance.

Archived