We Are Who We Are - a .500 team

brianod

We will not finish above .500 this season.

You heard it here first. Far too many holes all around the team and we very well might end up sending our best pitcher back to AAA because we can't "make room for him".

Doesn't sound like a .500 team to me. Would love to be wrong, I just don't see it happening.

I don't usually make fun of people's predictions but...."you heard it hear first" is just comical.

:rofl:

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I belong to a Orioles message board where we often debate such interesting topics such as who should be the backup 3b next year. Anyway, we were asked to send a message to the organization and here is what i said:

I've been a fan since 1972. My first game was at Memorial stadium, the 7th game against the Pirates in the world series. We lost 2-1 and I've never heard 57,000 people silent as I did when I shuffled out of the stadium, holding my Dad's hand. I've been through the great years and I've been through the down years. I never stopped believing in this franchise and the importance it holds to this city. I've sat with Wild Bill, I've lived through losing the Colts and fearing EBW would move the team to Washington. When I became old enough to support the team financially, I bought season tickets in the 80's and have held them ever since. Because of work and marriage, I moved from Columbia to Woodbridge Va in 1985. During the down years, I often wondered why I was driving through Washington rush hour to watch a team that had no hope of winning and no hope of being competitive. It was hard. I've raised three sons, all die hard Oriole fans. Sometimes, I considered giving up. But that's not me and even if I wanted to, my sons wouldn't let me. What would I like to say to the players and coaches of this organization? Easy:

Please realize you play for a special organization. A proud organization located in a proud city. We have Washington, Philly, New York and Boston right next store and all those organizations have more resources. All those cities are bigger and richer. But, deep down, Orioles fans appreciate this team more. Baltimore needs this team more then the cities above. We don't have the white house, the capitol, the liberty bell, Broadway, the statue of liberty, the empire state building, bunker hill or faneuil hall. But, Baltimore has a lot to be proud of. Hard working people who love and appreciate the Orioles. Rest assured, if you stay with the Orioles, you will often be underdogs, much like the city you play in. But, you will be loved and appreciated like nowhere else.

Watching the victory celebration last night, I realized that you guys get that. You have bought into the fact that a team that cares about each other and cares about the history you represent can perform above and beyond the sum of the talent of the players. Keep it up, what you are doing means so much to the people of this city and you guys have a chance to make history. Congrats and thank you.

I was the only one on this board to predict a playoff berth before the 2012 season. I tend to lead from the heart and can post things like this out of frustration. So, I'm 1 for 2. Sue me. Or, better yet, buy me a beer at the playoffs, I'll be there supporting the team financially, like I have been since the early 80's

I was the only one on this board to predict a playoff berth before the 2012 season. I tend to lead from the heart and can post things like this out of frustration. So, I'm 1 for 2. Sue me. Or, better yet, buy me a beer at the playoffs, I'll be there supporting the team financially, like I have been since the early 80's

Do you and your son both post here, or did I have you mixed up with somebody else?

This is true, I remember it very well.

joeyc said:

Because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the Orioles are not a very good baseball team. And if we don't make a trade or something drastic, we are going to be around a .500 club, plain and simple.

o

Joey, Joey, Joey ........

Rocket scientists were never very good at analyzing baseball teams, and their plight to succeed.

In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single rocket scientist that EVER predicted a pennant winner.

They're very good at rocket science ........ not so good with baseball analysis.

o

o

Archived