Are you kidding me?

VeveJones007

It's just silly to argue the percentages of the move. It's defensible. You could argue it either way. It's not a no brainer. It wasn't the move. It was Manny not making the play in the 9th and it was McFarland serving up a double to the pitcher. You keep acting like he would have gotten Reynolds out while ignoring the fact that he gave up a double to the pitcher. If Gallardo can touch him up for a booming double I think Reynolds can touch him up for a homer. The odds of either are small unless you throw lousy pitches.

If it lessens your chance to win the game, like the decision to walk Reynolds did (which I have shown by the numbers), then yes it is a no brainer you dont do it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I almost agree.

So, you realize that Lough was in for defensive purposes when we had the lead and in no way was the move questionable especially when you consider how poorly Cruz plays LF. It just didn't work out.

Buck's questionable move was bringing in TJ. He had Brach up the inning before so there's that.

Swinging bunt. You mean error? Manny blew the game on a play he should have made. The game was lost in the 9th. McFarland has stunk this year and the game was lost in the 9th. Manny was great last year but this is this year. He's making errors, some good plays, but he's been average overall. We expect better.

Would have been a great win, coming back from 5-0. It's on Manny. If you are going to hit like a wet noodle at least get it done with the glove.

I just watched the replay and don't think that's an error. It's a play we're used to Manny making but a very difficult play.

So, you realize that Lough was in for defensive purposes when we had the lead and in no way was the move questionable especially when you consider how poorly Cruz plays LF. It just didn't work out.

Buck's questionable move was bringing in TJ. He had Brach up the inning before so there's that.

Why I said almost.

We stole a game from them yesterday.

We were about to steal ANOTHER game from them today, when they stole it right back from us.

These 2 games remind(ed) me of 2 games that we played against the Red Sox in 2009.

In the first game, we came back from being down 10-0 to beat them 11-10.

The very next day, Bradley Steven Bergesen threw 8 innings of 1-run ball, and we took a 5-1 lead into the 9th and final inning. Our bullpen gave up 4 runs in the top of the 9th, the Bostonians pushed across another run in the top of the 11th to beat us, and the previous day's euphoria over our historic comeback was doused with major heartbreak.

(JUNE 30th)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200906300.shtml

(JULY 1st)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200907010.shtml

Yeah, it sucks to lose this game but if we can win tomorrow, 2 out of 3 vs MIL is pretty good. But we have to beat HOU next series.

At this point, it's a waste of my time to argue it any further. You're dug in. What are the odds that Gallardo hits a double?

Couldnt tell ya but a double isnt the only way they could have won the game. At least with pitching to Reynolds there is only 1 way they could have won the game.

Swinging bunt. You mean error? Manny blew the game on a play he should have made. The game was lost in the 9th. McFarland has stunk this year and the game was lost in the 9th. Manny was great last year but this is this year. He's making errors, some good plays, but he's been average overall. We expect better.

Would have been a great win, coming back from 5-0. It's on Manny. If you are going to hit like a wet noodle at least get it done with the glove.

I think you are being a tad harsh on that play by Manny. Yes, it is a play that he could have made and has made before however, I don't think it's a play you can expect him to make. His best chance may have been to bare hand it. In fact, what I think messed Manny up is that his first instinct was to bare hand it but changed his mind as he charged the ball. When you look at the replay he does look as though he hesitates for a split second as he is charging in. I think gloving that ball and having to take it out of his glove, with the momentum he had moving down the line, made the angle from which he had to throw the ball that much tougher.

Still though, IMHO, that was a ball that may have needed to be bare handed and, again, IMHO, you can't take those type of plays for granted.

I know we're chasing Toronto right now but at least the Yankees lost too. And even though the Jays extended their lead on us to 3.5 games, I like that Tampa is accumulating loses. The bigger hole they have to dig out of the better. I guess that's how I rationalize when we have a game stole from us that we rightfully stole first! :(

EDIT: I think I may have quoted the wrong post by you, as the one I did doesn't get into specifics about Manny's non play in the 9th. I thought I had read a post where you had done that. If not in this thread, maybe a different one. Sorry for any potential confusion.

Orioles not in shift in 9th vs Overbay that's a ground ball to Hardy. Shift get old when the game is on the line.

Orioles not in shift in 9th vs Overbay that's a ground ball to Hardy. Shift get old when the game is on the line.
I agree on this one. Overbay is not even a strict pull hitter although spray charts might prove me wrong.

When the batter hits the ball to a "normal" spot in a tight game and the ball goes through because of a shift, it is very noticeable and irritating. But I suspect that, even in those late & tight situations, on average the shift saves more runs than it costs. It seems to me there have been quite a few times that, late in a tight game, a ball was hit hard up the middle and the 2B or SS was standing right there.

And if Reynolds hits a homer with the pitcher on deck, another group would be killing him.

No, it'd probably be the same exact group, just killing him for a different reason. I'm terrified of ever giving bad news to an Orioles fan, fully expecting them to punch me or shoot me or something, even if I had nothing to do with the reason for the bad news.

Get real! That was not an error, or anything close to one. You think Machado is a machine? Go look at the replay.

McFarland let the pitcher get a double. Reynolds hits a homerun on the same meatball.

If McFarland gets strike one on the pitcher, the who scenario changes. Throwing two balls that weren't even close, meant he had to aim for the middle of the plate.....a pitch that even a pitcher can hit......obviously.

Archived