Are you kidding me?

VeveJones007

Strongly disagree. Manny makes that throw all of the time. The throw beats the runner by a half step if it's to the bag. No need to barehand it and take that chance. He had time to make the play. He throws from that angle all of the time. It's natural for him. He just made a bad throw. There's a reason why we expect him to make that play. Because he usually makes it. He didn't this time. There's a reason he has a reputation. Tonight, on that play, he didn't live up to it.

In your eyes........

You seem to expect perfection, but that isn't reality.......in sports or in life.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are we intentionally walking the winning run? We did it twice this game. Both dumb dumb decisions by Buck.

That might have been the worst managed game buck has had in charge of the O's.

Horrible management walking the winning run on base, even worse managing not pinch hitting in the top of the ninth with one out and instead bunting with Norris.

I understand why he left lough on the bench in case someone gets injured, but then he subbed him in anyways in the bottom of the ninth as a defensive replacement.

What the hell sort of sense does that make??? If you're gonna do the defensive substitution anyways, do a double switch and bat lough in the nine hole instead of Norris and then sub Cruz out for the pitchers spot, playing for the win in the ninth.

Just flat out abysmal managing all the way around. Giving up a walk off to a G.D. Pitcher after walking the winning run on base.......beyond pathetic.

In your eyes........

You seem to expect perfection, but that isn't reality.......in sports or in life.

He's been a good deal away from perfect.....he's barely been above average so far this year. And let's not even talk about why he's hitting in the two hole and barely above the damn Mendoza line......

Again, buck won't make the tough move here. He and hardy should be switched in the lineup until he proves that the end of last year and his start to this year are an aberration.

game would have been over had Manny not made an errant throw while Britton was trying to close it.

Expecting perfection will always invite disappointment. Relish the three other fantastic plays Manny did make in the game that assuredly saved runs.

They sure keep racking up "worst loss of the season" type games with minimal "best win of the season" type games. This is a very very mediocre team right now. When they hit, their pitching is miserable. When theu pitch, their hitting is miserable. And the entire time their defense has been average. The blue jays of all tas are going to have a 10 game cushion within a few weeks if the Os continue to be garbage.

Strongly disagree. Manny makes that throw all of the time. The throw beats the runner by a half step if it's to the bag. No need to barehand it and take that chance. He had time to make the play. He throws from that angle all of the time. It's natural for him. He just made a bad throw. There's a reason why we expect him to make that play. Because he usually makes it. He didn't this time. There's a reason he has a reputation. Tonight, on that play, he didn't live up to it.

Manny is the reigning Platinum Glove Winner, meaning he is supposedly THE best defender in the game. Yeah, I 100% expect him to make that play, especially with the game literally on the line.

McFarland's sins are what they are, but even if he gets the pitcher out, our odds are still slightly less than 50/50 to win that game (home team having a pretty big advantage in extras). But if Manny makes that play, everyone goes to bed happy...

I am sure the Brewers fans all went "Jonathan who?!!?!?" and his two homers. I am sure Brewers fans were very upset at journeyman Steve Pearce hitting a pinch hit homer. Pitchers run into one every once and awhile, crap sake didn't Chris Benson hit a grand slam for us? National league pitchers have been known to get a hit every once and awhile, especially since

Guys the reason "worst losses of the season" keep "piling up" is because people keep calling them that. It is a loss, nothing more nothing less.

What this loss tells us in the more grand narrative of the last couple of weeks is that, while the offense has seemed to find a bit of a groove, the starters are going through a bit of a rough patch. They have run into some really hot teams, lost a couple games they probably should have won, won a couple games they should have lost.

Find a way to prolong the good, and limit the bad. Its baseball, it happens.

Manny is the reigning Platinum Glove Winner, meaning he is supposedly THE best defender in the game. Yeah, I 100% expect him to make that play, especially with the game literally on the line.

McFarland's sins are what they are, but even if he gets the pitcher out, our odds are still slightly less than 50/50 to win that game (home team having a pretty big advantage in extras). But if Manny makes that play, everyone goes to bed happy...

Even the best defender in the league will not make every play they can possibly make. That is the nature of baseball.

That's baseball. One day the Orioles come back, Britton has a scare in the 9th, and they win, the next day we come back, Britton has a scare in the 9th, he blows it and they end up losing. Call it karma, call it the averages evening out, I call it baseball. Nothing you can do but try to win the series tonight against the same guy that got the winning hit.

I've watched the replay several times, and you simply can't (reasonably) hang that on Manny. No, he has not been all-world with the glove so far this season, but that play would have been bang-bang even if the throw had been perfect. It was by no means a gimme, and you cannot (again, reasonably) assume that Lucroy would have been out by a half-step since we honestly don't know what the picture would've looked like had the throw been 100% on target with Davis stretching normally from the bag. The whole reason the throw was off in the first place was that it was an extremely difficult play made worse by Manny's needing to play back with a runner on third.

And that's the real problem. Britton allowed a leadoff single. That runner was sacrificed into scoring position, and then moved up again on a well placed ground ball. Lucroy's swinging bunt shouldn't have been the sort of thing that could screw the Orioles, but, once again, an Oriole "closer" failed to get the leadoff man out in the 9th.

It would have been a GREAT, clutch play if Manny had succeeded in getting Lucroy, and maybe it's something we'd have "expected" him to accomplish last year, but calling it an error is just foolish, IMO. Blame the shift, blame Britton, and/or blame T.J. for allowing an opposing team's pitcher to crush his pathetic offering in extras, but don't hang that one on Manny.

Runner on first with two outs scores 14% of the time. What are the chances Reynolds hits a home run? Im guessing it is less than 10%.

That maybe the dumbest logic looking at numbers with runners on and two outs and thinking they are all the same. THe Brewers had the pitcher hitting what are the odds with the pitcher hitting and a runner on first and two outs. Less then 5% I am sure and with the pitcher driving him in with an extra base hit maybe 1%

game would have been over had Manny not made an errant throw while Britton was trying to close it.
Expecting perfection will always invite disappointment. Relish the three other fantastic plays Manny did make in the game that assuredly saved runs.

Such as on Mark Reynolds' line drive up the line with the bases loaded in the previous inning, which would have scored at least 2, and maybe 3.

There likely would not have even been a bottom of the 9th or bottom of the 10th inning if Machado had not made that play in the bottom of the 8th.

Why I said almost.

My response was really for the people to whom you were talking.

I don't agree with every decision Buck makes but setting your defense when you have the lead and choosing a pitcher instead of a HR hitter is easy.

People need to calm down I mean my twitter feed is filling up every game with obscenities after every bad thing that happens in a game. I mean, EVERY TIME. I understand being upset about losing a close game. But every loss, all the time. Every homer that is given up, every run given up it feels like people are losing their cookies over it and people need to calm down.

The Orioles' record in one-run games and extra inning games is solid, but they weren't going to go undefeated in them this year. This loss was baseball being baseball, nothing really to see here.

Archived