I don't ever want to see TJ McFarland in an Orioles uniform again

Three Run Homer

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good post. And he looked good again today. Throwing mostly two seamers and keeping everything low, including the occasional changeup and breaking pitch. Most importantly, throwing strikes too. He's going to earn more important innings.

I'm pretty happy with his work.

Still has pretty high WHIP and opponent OPS. His ERA is good but I am not convinced it's for real. That said, he has been coming on the last few weeks. Seems to be a better fit for this role than Guillmet or Brach, so might as well see if he can keep it going. Came up big for us this series, especially Friday night.

Told you he was good. He's an old school pitcher. Not great but gets the job done and fun to watch when he's in the groove. Scott McGregor type.

Ha! Of course you wait for me to make a positive remark and then pounce on it. Nicely done, sir. :thumbsup1:

Still has pretty high WHIP and opponent OPS. His ERA is good but I am not convinced it's for real. That said, he has been coming on the last few weeks. Seems to be a better fit for this role than Guillmet or Brach, so might as well see if he can keep it going. Came up big for us this series, especially Friday night.

He has 2 outings that are really skewing his numbers. The May 11th appearance against the Astros where he allowed 7 hits in 3 IP and his May 24th appearance against the Indians where he allowed 5 hits and a walk in 2 1/3 IP.

Since that appearance against the Indians:

7 games, 13 1/3 IP, 2 ER, 10 H, 3 BB, 6 SO for a 1.35 ERA, 0.975 WHIP

He's not as bad as his first 5 games (5.23 ERA, 2.033 WHIP), and he's not as good as his last 7 games...but I think he's a valuable part of the bullpen.

Took you long enough. That'll teach you to question my ability to evaluate marginal talent.

You're comparison of him to McGregor leads me to think you have much higher aspirations than any of us could hope to have. Scotty was unappreciated in my view.

You're comparison of him to McGregor leads me to think you have much higher aspirations than any of us could hope to have. Scotty was unappreciated in my view.

Nah, just similar styles. TJ will be a long reliever. Different era and he''ll probably never get a chance to start.

Roch Kubatko

"Guys like him, there's a fine line," said manager Buck Showalter. "When you're in the dugout and you see the level of the presentation on the pitch, if he's below that area, it's a ball right out of his hand and nobody passes at it. If he's above that area and it's sinking back to the hitting zone, he's going to get whacked a little bit. But if he started in this level and have it appear as a strike and leave the middle of the strike zone, you get a lot of outings like you've gotten here recently.

"He's in a pretty good groove. He's spun the ball enough to slow them down, a couple changeups."

"Having a guy like Mac who can defend himself against right-handed and left-handed hitters is big in the length," Showalter said.

"Extended for him is not like extended for other guys. He threw, what, two-plus innings the other night and threw 20-something pitches. That's efficient. When you've got that pitch that starts in the strike zone and leaves it, you get a lot of ground balls."

"Another thing about Mac. Some guy walks in here with food poisoning or whatever, I can walk around the corner, 'Mac, you're starting. Get your stuff ready.' 'Fine.' He can do that, he can do that."

Archived