I don't ever want to see TJ McFarland in an Orioles uniform again

Three Run Homer

Anyone know if TJ is being sent down for a bullpen arm by any chance? Or are the O's going to keep him at the big club, but hold him out for a few days?

I don't think there is much reason to send him down. He won't be used tonight and probably tomorrow. But I'd bet they'd rather have him available for the Yankees series than Guilmet.

Matusz, Webb, and DeJulio have not pitched too much recently. Britton and Hunter could go tonight, but preferably not.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Fabulous outing today again. Filled the Britton role we have been missing.

He really has. McFarland has become a very valuable pitcher on this team. Big props to Duquette and his scouting staff for mining him away from the Indians and for having the gumption to keep him around all last year.

#1 TJ fan right here, from day 1. :)

TJ was hitting 93 (with movement) today.

I saw that today and couldn't believe it. Is that an anomaly? The result of conditioning? The fact that he was still developing when we first got him as a Rule V guy? The pitching coaches make a tweak? Hopefully it sticks.

I wholeheartedly agree with the thread title and have for a long time now. I don't see why we bent over backwards last year to keep him or why he's even on the team. I feel like what he does, nearly any pitcher in AAA could do just as well or probably better.

I want to call myself out on this one.. been meaning to for a while now. Really since his emergency start. I think I was initially wrong. I'm becoming a believer. Keep up the superb work TJ!

• 5 weeks later...

o

(vs. D-RAYS, 8/27)

3 shutout innings out of the bullpen.

1 hit, 0 walks, and 26 of his 37 pitches were strikes.

Kept the Orioles in the game after Gausman struggled early.

Also, Jimenez will be on 4 days' rest tomorrow, and if he doesn't pitch tomorrow, he will be on 5 days' rest on Friday. So, McFarland's work tonight also helped bridge the gap so that our other long reliever (Jimenez) will now be available should another Oriole starter struggle early on in the next few games.

Archived