MacPhail: Angelos didn't veto Bedard deal - per AM

Mark J

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like AM is trying to cover up for his boss.

meaning the 'attend to a family matter' bit? or 'calling up Erik for a friendly chat' OR the part of perhaps not trusting that McPhail has the discussion, found the terms unreasonable and choosing to move the club forward by trading Bedard for a return that rivals if not exceeds the Santana deal? - when covering for the big guy, where do you begin????

Well, if you believe Belkast, MacPhail would resign if PA was going over his head.

I said it before and I'll say it again, if he went and resigned it would be unprofessional. It would show that MacPhail doesn't know his real place, which is an employee of the owner. You don't show up one owner when you need him and others to vote you in as the next commissioner.

IMO, Belkast has ratcheted up his defense of Angelos ever since his source discovered he had been posting here. I don't mean any disrespect to him by that comment. We all bring certain preconceived notions with us and it can't help but influence our writing.

I said it before and I'll say it again, if he went and resigned it would be unprofessional. It would show that MacPhail doesn't know his real place, which is an employee of the owner. You don't show up one owner when you need him and others to vote you in as the next commissioner.

IMO, Belkast has ratcheted up his defense of Angelos ever since his source discovered he had been posting here. I don't mean any disrespect to him by that comment. We all bring certain preconceived notions with us and it can't help but influence our writing.

Exactly ....

Well...If you read my posts' which you obviously do, you will find that I have believed AM has total control since AM signed here. There has been nothing concrete for ANYONE to say that Angelos is meddling. It comes down to impatient people, that want to blame things on Angelos.

Well...If you read my posts' which you obviously do, you will find that I have believed AM has total control since AM signed here. There has been nothing concrete for ANYONE to say that Angelos is meddling. It comes down to impatient people, that want to blame things on Angelos.

When do you think this Bedard deal gets done?

What do you call it when the owner "postpones a done deal" to put in a call personally to a player on the trade block?

MAcPhail has said all along that he is in constant contact with Angelos over these trade offers. Say what you want on whether that's right or wrong, but that doesn't sound like someone with full authority.

Full authority means MacPhail talks with Angelos before the offseason, develops a plan, then has the authority to act on that plan as long as it doesn't diverge.

I still believe if MacPhail had true "full authority," these deals would have already been done. Maybe it's symantics when people use the word meddling, but let's face it, Angelos still has final say on all trades and that means MacPhail only has the full authority to do the ground work and then present them to Angelos.

I'm not sure what's changed from the previous front offices other than MacPhail was given a different title and reportedly he's the only one going straight to Angelos now instead of the hundred end arounds that was happening before.

My guess is we aren't very close to resolution. Now everyone's saying not to expect anything until this weekend or early next week. MacPhail is still spouting his "we're having discussions" jargon. And now we're talking about an extension. All signs point to nothing developing soon. I have to believe this is going to drag on for a while, regardless of what the "insiders" say. I'm very frustrated and expect to be for a while.

MAcPhail has said all along that he is in constant contact with Angelos over these trade offers. Say what you want on whether that's right or wrong, but that doesn't sound like someone with full authority.

Full authority means MacPhail talks with Angelos before the offseason, develops a plan, then has the authority to act on that plan as long as it doesn't diverge.

I still believe if MacPhail had true "full authority," these deals would have already been done. Maybe it's symantics when people use the word meddling, but let's face it, Angelos still has final say on all trades and that means MacPhail only has the full authority to do the ground work and then present them to Angelos.

I'm not sure what's changed from the previous front offices other than MacPhail was given a different name and reportedly he's the only one going straight to Angelos now instead of the hundred end arounds that was happening before.

Thank you. Now that you have said it, people will listen.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tony-OH again

I'm not sure what's changed from the previous front offices other than MacPhail was given a different name and reportedly he's the only one going straight to Angelos now instead of the hundred end arounds that was happening before.

He is in contact with Angelos. He should be in touch with the man. I'm not sure how that is wrong. The man does own the team, and does have the right to know what was going on. I would certainly want to hear the things going on if I owned the team. Everyone would! The point I was trying to make is Angelos hasn't stop AM from following his plan. We have no evidence to say that he has. Trust me, if it comes out that Angelos is still playing an active role and has overuled AM, my interest in the team will really diminsh.I just tend to believe that people are throwin' him under the bus too soon.

Thank you. Now that you have said it, people will listen.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tony-OH again

He also hit the nail on the head. MacPhail provided that little bit of info: that he's been in regular contact with Angelos. That same little bit of info that MacPhail offered as evidence that Angelos didn't totally come in after the fact and crush MacPhail's work is also irrefutable evidence that MacPhail doesn't have full autonomy.

Archived