MacPhail: Angelos didn't veto Bedard deal - per AM

Mark J

That is complete bull. AM just said that he didn't nix any deals and that they are on the same page.

Perhaps this is how MacPhail operates? Perhaps he really IS running the ship?

He drew the Weiters thing out until he very last possible second also.

People WANT Angelos to be the bad guy because they want someone to blame.

It certainly seems that way. The one word we have heard over and over about him is "methodical." The connotation has always been not simply that he is very careful but that he takes forever to make decisions.

I think people want to see Angelos as Satan and MacPhail as the knight in shining armor riding in on his white horse to save the day. That's not the case. He may have control, but he's not perfect either. There is no perfect baseball executive, or perfect person for that matter. Nor is there such a thing as a perfectly bad owner who does every possible wrong thing in every possible situation. If people are upset with the way things are being run, I think they have to look at MacPhail here too, not simply assume that if things don't go our way he's doing his best and Angelos is foiling all his plans.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well there wouldn't be this much frenzy if MacPhail would have just pulled the trigger back in say - December...

And now he's gone back on his deadline of tomorrow saying it is up in the air.

It's almost like he is trying to piss the Oriole fans off... :rolleyes:

I can tell you this though when this deal is over with, teams are going to take a long hard look at the Orioles before dealing with them, excluding the Cubs. Instead of Angelos meddling, you have to deal with MacPhail sabotaging his own deals...

If he had pulled the trigger in say.... December.... you're taking away 2 months of potentially good deals coming through. What if the Mariners were offering Jones and a pile of junk for Bedard then?

I'm sure his true intent is to piss the Orioles fans off.

And how can you tell me that teams will take a long hard look at the Orioles before dealing with them? When did Mcphail sabotage his own deal? Thats uttelry hilarious, absolutely and 100% hilarious.

Classic case of fans not knowing whats going on so they bash the Orioles when if we're talking about business like practices it's the Mariners who've opened their mouths one too many times.

This went from Bavasi not shutting up, to Jones not shutting up, to Angelos meddling to then Mcphail sabotaging his own deals. That timeline is is hilarious to think about.

I'll tell you what though, I bet teams will start thinking "Man, maybe this guy really does have control of this thing. We should deal for a piece like Millar, or Mora, or Ramon to help us during the playoffs." Your assumption is ridiculous.

I'll tell you what though, I bet teams will start thinking "Man, maybe this guy really does have control of this thing. We should deal for a piece like Millar, or Mora, or Ramon to help us during the playoffs." Your assumption is ridiculous.

Yeah, maybe we should, except by the time we finally get MacPhail to pull the trigger, the playoffs will be over... :rolleyes:

If I'm a GM, I don't want to spend a month to three months in negotiations for a player. I'll move on to somebody who is easier to deal with. The problem for Bavasi is he has pigeonholed himself. Other GM's will have options in future deals.

I guarantee you Bavasi never deals with MacPhail again...

Why is it so important that these deals get done before some imaginary timeline? I think the start of the season is about the time to get concerned, not now and certainly not in December. AM's timing in getting rid of Tejada couldn't have been better. I don't understand why everyone is so crazy that this should have all happened by now. I can't wait until AM gets these deals done so there won't be so many insane posts, but I could care less if he is totally open in the media. If he doesn't get something done, he will have to answer questions. If he does, a lot of people on here are going to have very selective memories when reflecting on their posts over the past few months.

Because there is so much work still to be done even after the Bedard/Roberts saga is done. Because there are numerous other veterans that need to be moved. Because there are multiple glaring holes in the lineup that as it stands today would have a hard time competing in AAA. Because season ticket holders like me are holding out until it clearly appears they are committed to rebuilding and not putting another patchwork team together that quits in August before I renew my plan.

Am I the ONLY one who looked past all the Angelos BS and saw the line that said, and I paraphrase..."I don't expect to announce any deals tomorrow."???

WTF dude? I think our patience is as thin as its gonna get. ST starts ina few weeks. EVEN IF they pull this deal out, they still have numerous other moves to make. What is the freakin' hold up? Make the GD deal already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Dippy...step slowly away and run to the bottle of Jack! RUN Dippy RUN!

Well there wouldn't be this much frenzy if MacPhail would have just pulled the trigger back in say - December...

And now he's gone back on his deadline of tomorrow saying it is up in the air.

It's almost like he is trying to piss the Oriole fans off... :rolleyes:

I can tell you this though when this deal is over with, teams are going to take a long hard look at the Orioles before dealing with them, excluding the Cubs. Instead of Angelos meddling, you have to deal with MacPhail sabotaging his own deals...

Or ... he doesn't care about meeting your timeline and is trying to get the best deal possible.

Yeah, maybe we should, except by the time we finally get MacPhail to pull the trigger, the playoffs will be over... :rolleyes:

If I'm a GM, I don't want to spend a month to three months in negotiations for a player. I'll move on to somebody who is easier to deal with. The problem for Bavasi is he has pigeonholed himself. Other GM's will have options in future deals.

I guarantee you Bavasi never deals with MacPhail again...

This post made me laugh. Thanks.

Hey, don't mind that the Bosox, NYY, Twins, Mets, Os and Ms have been dealing over Bedard and Santana for months. Apparently, the Dodgers made a late run at Santana. That's around 20% of the league right there operating that way.

We are not the only team that is methodical and tries to use leverage to our advantage. If one makes it personal and refuses to deal with another GM, then one would be doing so to the detriment of his team.

This is from the Comments section of the Prospect Insider.

Jason A. Churchill says:

January 30th, 2008 at 3:03 pm

I guarantee the trade gets done.

I have yet to talk to anyone in the game who believes otherwise.

Bedard is now the best starting pitcher the M’s have had since 1998 when Randy Johnson began the year as the M’s ace.

This post made me laugh. Thanks.

Hey, don't mind that the Bosox, NYY, Twins, Mets, Os and Ms have been dealing over Bedard and Santana for months. Apparently, the Dodgers made a late run at Santana. That's around 20% of the league right there operating that way.

We are not the only team that is methodical and tries to use leverage to our advantage. If one makes it personal and refuses to deal with another GM, then one would be doing so to the detriment of his team.

And I'm sure the case would be different if this was the trade deadline. He had all offseason to find the best deal available and he used it. In his mind, hes trading the best player on the team and one of the best pitchers in the game. I'm sure it wouldn't take near as long to trade someone like Hernandez, Payton, Millar, etc.

This is from the Comments section of the Prospect Insider.

Jason A. Churchill says:

January 30th, 2008 at 3:03 pm

I guarantee the trade gets done.

I have yet to talk to anyone in the game who believes otherwise.

Bedard is now the best starting pitcher the M’s have had since 1998 when Randy Johnson began the year as the M’s ace.

I don't know ... the Freddy Garcia / Jamie Moyer combo of 2001 may argue with that last point.

And I'm sure the case would be different if this was the trade deadline. He had all offseason to find the best deal available and he used it. In his mind, hes trading the best player on the team and one of the best pitchers in the game. I'm sure it wouldn't take near as long to trade someone like Hernandez, Payton, Millar, etc.

This is completely false. The off-season ended on January 15th.:rolleyes:

Archived