(Almost) All Things Manny Machado....

EagleOriole

I think Beltre maybe the most underrated player in baseball in the last 10 years or so. He playes steller defense has better range then people give him credit for and has a rocket of an arm. He also has put up great numbers. When all is said and done he will most likely finish his career with 3000 hits and over 450 homers. He may end up even getting into the Hall if he stays enough to get 3000 and 500.

I think Beltre maybe the most underrated player in baseball in the last 10 years or so. He playes steller defense has better range then people give him credit for and has a rocket of an arm. He also has put up great numbers. When all is said and done he will most likely finish his career with 3000 hits and over 450 homers. He may end up even getting into the Hall if he stays enough to get 3000 and 500.

I remember when Roy begged us not to sign him.

His 5 year projection lists his 2018 slash line as :

.297/.338/.470

so I would say a ceiling would be .320/.370/.500?

Whose projections are those? I wouldn't put any numbers on it. Players with obvious talent at a very young age can develop in unexpected ways. He might be Ruben Sierra with a glove, he might be an inner-circle HOFer.

While I do agree with your base premise you have to consider that the league average OPS in '98 was 771, in 2013 it was 714.

I don't think most folks quite grasp the decline in offense the last 4-5 years. The mid-60s through early 70s, and the 1910s are really the only eras in MLB history with sustained offensive levels lower than the last two years. 1988-89 was the last time offenses were this low for even a couple years.

If he didn't go to Seattle he would be close to guarenteed of 3000 and 500.

I don't know about that. He might have lost 15 hits and 3-4 homers a year to that park, meaning maybe 60 hits and 20 homers? He has a .040 OPS advantage on the road for his career, but that's not extreme. It's no Goose Goslin, who played more than half his career in Griffith Stadium in DC and had 152 road homers, 96 at home.

I don't think most folks quite grasp the decline in offense the last 4-5 years. The mid-60s through early 70s, and the 1910s are really the only eras in MLB history with sustained offensive levels lower than the last two years. 1988-89 was the last time offenses were this low for even a couple years.

I don't know about that. He might have lost 15 hits and 3-4 homers a year to that park, meaning maybe 60 hits and 20 homers? He has a .040 OPS advantage on the road for his career, but that's not extreme. It's no Goose Goslin, who played more than half his career in Griffith Stadium in DC and had 152 road homers, 96 at home.

Even if you go with those number and I think they are low as he has averaged 181 hits over the 5 year span out of Seattle and 154 hits a season while in Seattle. So the 5 years should be closer to 100 plus hits. That gives him 2625 hits as of today. I would think he has 3-4 more years. After this season he would be at 2700 hits. He would only need 100 a year. Homers as well I think 4 a year is a fair amount based on the numbers he put up in Seattle and now in Texas. So if you say 20 homers that gives him 408. He is only 35 right now so you would think 4 more years is a reasonable amount after this season. If he his 12 more this season he would need to average just 20 a year.

Who knows. He certainly does not tell me. Hardy would be great, but there are many other options. Schoop's bat would just about play at Shortstop.
Schoop's bat might almost play there but his glove at SS wouldn't come close to Hardy's. There are lots of good options if we want to trade Tillman for one, otherwise we will have to settle for a good field no hit type and upgrade with the bat elsewhere.

There are lots of good options if we want to trade Tillman for one, otherwise we will have to settle for a good field no hit type and upgrade with the bat elsewhere.

You have repeated this multiple times recently, but I'm not so sure. He had a pretty good 2013, but his track record prior to last year was spotty, and he's seen a good bit of regression this year. If I were looking at trading for him I'd be very concerned that (at least this year) he has a well below average K rate, off 2 K/9 from last year, to go along with so-so HR and BB numbers. And he's just entering his arb years where he'll progressively get more expensive each winter.

I don't know, maybe you could get a Daniel Murphy type out of Tillman, an average position player who is starting to get more expensive, but I'm not so sure. If I were another team I'd see Tillman as #3 or #4 starter.