Really tired of Matusz...

Ed-die... Ed-die

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1.9 rWAR

4.5 fWAR

Fangraphs seems to like how his career has gone.

We won't dwell on the fact that 2.8 of Matusz's 4.5 career fWAR was accumulated in 2010...when he was a starter and enjoyed that "hot streak that gave us all hope" towards the end of the year.

fangraphs isn't as into Matusz as the career numbers would otherwise indicate. And bb-ref was over him ages ago. Then again, bb-ref was never much for commitment.

The organization doesn't want to lose him to another team.

Since he's a lefty, they should be able to get something for him. Pack him off to the Padres or Cubs. Considering how Hammel, Arrieta, and Wada worked out for the Cubs, I'm fairly certain Matusz could be their next closer.

Since he's a lefty, they should be able to get something for him. Pack him off to the Padres or Cubs. Considering how Hammel, Arrieta, and Wada worked out for the Cubs, I'm fairly certain Matusz could be their next closer.

Matusz will not be with the team next year. The Padres and the Cubs don't want him for this season.

Matusz will not be with the team next year. The Padres and the Cubs don't want him for this season.

Right, no one will want to pay him what he could earn in arbitration. That means if he's put through waivers, only a contending team would pick him up. Which contending team would you be upset about Matusz joining?

We won't dwell on the fact that 2.8 of Matusz's 4.5 career fWAR was accumulated in 2010...when he was a starter and enjoyed that "hot streak that gave us all hope" towards the end of the year.

fangraphs isn't as into Matusz as the career numbers would otherwise indicate. And bb-ref was over him ages ago. Then again, bb-ref was never much for commitment.

I was responding to a poster who was specifically asking about the totality of his career.

Therefor information encompassing the totality of his career is relevant.

I was responding to a poster who was specifically asking about the totality of his career.

If more than half of a player's total, career value is tied to one year (out of 5.5-6 years total), I think that calling the totality of his career's worth into question is pretty fair. Perhaps premature without a "to this point" qualifier, but pretty fair, nonetheless.

Matusz has a career 83 ERA+ despite making most of his appearances out of the bullpen. Despite playing behind probably the best defense in the league for his entire career. Despite being the 1st pitcher selected in the amateur draft. He lost the war.

Obviously Dan has his reasons.

They are not very apparent.

If they think he's one of the 7 best relief options on this team, then I don't agree.

If they are worried about depth, then I don't agree. If guys get hurt and Matusz has to move beyond the LOOGY role, guys like Saunders, Guilmet, and Meek are just as good of an option. In other words, if Britton, O'Day, and Miller all get hurt, Matusz isn't saving the day.

If they think he'll get picked up by another team and he'll help them, they're probably right. But so what? If we're in the playoffs, this team stacked with righties would look forward to facing Matusz.

They are not very apparent.

If they think he's one of the 7 best relief options on this team, then I don't agree.

If they are worried about depth, then I don't agree. If guys get hurt and Matusz has to move beyond the LOOGY role, guys like Saunders, Guilmet, and Meek are just as good of an option. In other words, if Britton, O'Day, and Miller all get hurt, Matusz isn't saving the day.

If they think he'll get picked up by another team and he'll help them, they're probably right. But so what? If we're in the playoffs, this team stacked with righties would look forward to facing Matusz.

Do you think having Matusz on the team instead over one of the other options for the next two weeks has much of a chance of costing the O's a victory?

I don't think it is likely. It is not as if Matusz blew a save last night.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but Matusz's "results" and how well he's pitched are not necessarily one in the same. Matusz has regularly played with fire, either by putting baserunners on, or simply getting lucky swings/misses on absolutely lousy "stuff."

He's the one pitcher I absolutely hate seeing out of the bullpen, regardless of the situation, and I wish he wasn't on the team.

Have to agree here and not merely as a reaction to last night.

Archived