Really tired of Matusz...

Ed-die... Ed-die

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You win as a team you lose as a team. I'm a believer in fielding your best 25. For the 2014 Orioles, Matusz is not one of the best 25, IMO.

So you don't think Wieters, or Gausman should have been held back for service time reasons? Did you think Flaherty and TJ were amongst the top 25 for the entierty of their rookie years?

So you don't think Wieters, or Gausman should have been held back for service time reasons? Did you think Flaherty and TJ were amongst the top 25 for the entierty of their rookie years?

I didn't think we should have carried either rule V guys. I'm glad McFarland is working out.

Service time control is a different animal which doesn't apply here.

I didn't think we should have carried either rule V guys. I'm glad McFarland is working out.

Service time control is a different animal which doesn't apply here.

Of course it does. If you make a blanket statement like I'm a firm believer in fielding your best 25 then stuff like service time and remaining options shouldn't be an issue. You make the moves that you think do your team the most good overall. I don't think the difference between Webb and Matusz for a two week period outweighs the potential negatives of losing Matusz.

Of course it does. If you make a blanket statement like I'm a firm believer in fielding your best 25 then stuff like service time and remaining options shouldn't be an issue. You make the moves that you think do your team the most good overall. I don't think the difference between Webb and Matusz for a two week period outweighs the potential negatives of losing Matusz.

Help me out with the potential negatives of losing Matusz. They are (?)

And I'll amend my position to say a team should go with their best 25 when they are trying to win. Stashing a rule V player during the Gibbons years is not a big deal. Playing the service years game with Wieters, not a big deal. Do you think they should have played that game with Machado last season?

Help me out with the potential negatives of losing Matusz. They are (?)

The Yankees getting him (Unless you think Hill is better then Matusz). Losing a LOOGY that could be used surgically once rosters expand.

Whatever theoretical impact it might have on team esprit de corps.

The Yankees getting him (Unless you think Hill is better then Matusz). Losing a LOOGY that could be used surgically once rosters expand.

Whatever theoretical impact it might have on team esprit de corps.

You think the Yankees with any dominating lefty reliever is going to catch us? The only way I'd see losing Matusz hurting us would be if a playoff team picks him up and we were a lefty heavy lineup which we are not.

You think the Yankees with any dominating lefty reliever is going to catch us? The only way I'd see losing Matusz hurting us would be if a playoff team picks him up and we were a lefty heavy lineup which we are not.

How much of a difference do you think two weeks of Webb over Matusz will make?

Probably zero.

If I was Buck, I'd rather have 7 relievers instead of 6 and a guy who may get one guy out from time to time. I'd rather have Webb than a guy that when you think you can use him you still have to have another guy up because even in his "hot" stretch he's failed to record an out three times. How's that for a run on sentence.

But yes, the overall impact is minimal. Just like the Phelps v other infielders and Reimold v Young discussions.

You win as a team you lose as a team. I'm a believer in fielding your best 25. For the 2014 Orioles, Matusz is not one of the best 25, IMO.

In two weeks Brian Matusz can be used for one lefty whenever needed. No need to make the 40 man roster space at this point.

In two weeks Brian Matusz can be used for one lefty whenever needed. No need to make the 40 man roster space at this point.

Our pitchers need to get 1100+ more outs this season. Do you see Brian getting more than 30-35 of those outs? He can be easily replaced. Why tie Buck's hands over the next two weeks?

How much of a difference do you think two weeks of Webb over Matusz will make?

Probably zero.

Frankly, I don't understand why you and weams seem content to argue that the O's should keep a bad player on the roster just because the odds of that player costing the O's over the next two weeks are slim. Better to just get rid of the bad player and shift or eliminate that risk, however slight, IMO. And I think it's painfully obvious at this point that Matusz is a pretty bad player.

Frankly, I don't understand why you and weams seem content to argue that the O's should keep a bad player on the roster just because the odds of that player costing the O's over the next two weeks are slim. Better to just get rid of the bad player and shift or eliminate that risk, however slight, IMO. And I think it's painfully obvious at this point that Matusz is a pretty bad player.

Bad doesn't mean useless.

The downside to keeping him is so small that even a negligible reward for holding onto him will be superior.

Plus, as a former intel guy, I don't like to throw things away unless I am 100% sure they won't come in handy.

He won't hurt us, and he might strike someone out in September. I promise you, he won't pitch unless we are winning by a lot, losing by a lot, or in extra innings.

Archived