Really tired of Matusz...

Ed-die... Ed-die

I love these fangraphs numbers. 17.5 million for an 83 ERA+. Really?

If we went buy fangraph numbers I suspect the O's payroll would be over 250 million dollars

Probably so, because all fangraphs values are at free agent prices. By their methodology, Manny Machado was worth $31.6 mm last year, but of course, we only had to pay him $500k. The CBA allows MLB to artificially suppress salaries for players who haven't hit free agency yet.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buck really had no other choice last night, and I don't even think Buck has a lot of confidence in him any more either his last few outings were in scrap games to give the rest of the BP a break.

He's this year's Jake, could use a change of scenery, and I would not shed one tear.

He's pitched a lot recently, 5 out of the last 7 days. It'd be nice to give him additional rest. We also have Webb, who can go. He's only pitched twice since June 28th. I look for them to lean on him tonight. Hopefully, Chen can go 7 like Tillman did.

I did not know that.

Thanks.

o

(vs. MARINERS, 7/25)

Possibly his best game of the season.

1.33 shutout innings.

Faced 5 batters, got 4 of them out, 3 via the strikeout.

Struck out the side in the 8th inning (with a 2-out double sandwiched in between.)

Entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base with two outs, and got Romero to fly out to end the threat.

LOL. Palmer blistered him the whole time he was out there. Was no where near the catchers target. Everything up. He was pretty damn lucky tonight.

Maybe one of his better results, but I thought he looked awful. None of his pitches were crisp and most of them were up in the zone.

Best thing i can say his his FB velocity was good and he fooled a couple guys with a few not so good curve balls.

o

(vs. MARINERS, 7/25)

Possibly his best game of the season.

1.67 shutout innings.

Faced 6 batters, got 5 of them out, 3 via the strikeout.

Struck out the side in the 8th inning (with a 2-out double sandwiched in between.)

Entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base with two outs, and got Romero to fly out to end the threat.

My theory with Matusz is that once it was clear he would not be getting another chance to start, his heart was no longer in it. It's like working extra hard for a promotion and doing well and seeing them hire someone else. This is based on nothing but speculation but subconsciously I think he has just given up in his current role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully he's smart enough to realize that he essentially is auditioning for every team when he's on the mound. If he pitches well as a reliever he has to realize that another team will take a chance on putting him back out as a starter.

Anyways, I'm happy Matusz kept Seattle at 1 run and hopefully this will give him confidence but if we were playing, say, the Angels, Tigers, As etc then it's likely a loss. He kept wayyyy too many pitches up in the zone (as Palmer pointed out).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived