Who goes and who stays in 2015

wildcard

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A pitcher is involved in a trade to get a near ready A prospect(s). One of Gonzalez or Norris (trade high). Lough is gone (Daza replaces). Miller closes somewhere. PA will not let Markakis leave even if it stretches the budget. Cruz, Young gone. Biggest question mark is Hardy. He is the only unreplaceable of the bunch.

I think Delmon has been a valuable player for us and the cost isn't prohibitive. I'd certainly think he should be back at reserve money.

Cruz- Extend QO. If he's wise, he'll take it; if he doesn't, we would be wise to let him go.

Hardy- Same.

Markakis- Exercise option. With a $2 million dollar buyout, and the FA OF selection so thin, saving ~$3 million may not be worth taking the risk of him signing with another team on the open market.

Miller- Investigate new deal but don't go crazy to re-sign him.

Young- Same.

Hundley- Trade or non-tender.

Matusz- Same.

De Aza and Lough- Keep 'em.

Who stays and who goes all depends on the cost. If they could afford it they'd keep them all. I think their priorities in keeping FA would be :

Hardy

Miller

Cruz

Nick

Delmon

I don't see them extending either Davis, Wieters, or Manny by next season.

I could see an OF of DeAza/Pearce, AJ, and someone like Cuddyer. If Cruz goes I could see them keeping Delmon. Don't see much reason to keep Lough over Berry. Matusz will definitely be gone. Could see a trade of one of Tillman, Gonzalez, or Norris for something we need more, like a younger SS, or a big bat to replace Davis.

Cruz- Extend QO. If he's wise, he'll take it; if he doesn't, we would be wise to let him go.

Hardy- Same.

Markakis- Exercise option. With a $2 million dollar buyout, and the FA OF selection so thin, saving ~$3 million may not be worth taking the risk of him signing with another team on the open market.

Young- Same.

Matusz- Same.

Pretty sure Hundley is a free agent.

Gone:

Tommy Hunter

Brian Matusz

Andrew Miller

Bud Norris

Kelly Johnson

Delmon Young

Nick Hundley

David Lough

Staying:

Alejandro De Aza

Nelson Cruz

JJ Hardy

Nick Markakis

Everyone else

David Lough is a capable major league baseball player. Second division starter in my opinion, but a backup at worst. I'm sure if you called his agent he'd apologize for whatever it is he did to you.

Pretty sure Hundley is a free agent.

From Cots contracts:

Nick Hundley c

3 years/$9M (2012-14), plus 2015 option

3 years/$9M (2012-14), plus 2015 club option

signed extension with San Diego 3/20/12, replacing 1 year/$2M deal signed 1/17/12, avoiding arbitration

12:$2M, 13:$3M, 14:$4M, 15:$5M club option, no buyout

acquired by Baltimore in trade from San Diego 5/24/14, with Padres paying Orioles $1.5M

I can see us "selling high" and trading one of Norris or Gonzalez. I don't think the org's ready to quit on the 3/38 Ubaldo has left, and that means creating a job opening. Barring injury, if our current five and Ubaldo are all rostered next spring, there's no way Ubaldo can get a rotation slot. By org, I mean Duquette more than Buck.

Gone:

Tommy Hunter

Brian Matusz

Andrew Miller

Bud Norris

Kelly Johnson

Delmon Young

Nick Hundley

David Lough

Staying:

Alejandro De Aza

Nelson Cruz

JJ Hardy

Nick Markakis

Everyone else

David Lough is a capable major league baseball player. Second division starter in my opinion, but a backup at worst. I'm sure if you called his agent he'd apologize for whatever it is he did to you.

Why get rid of Hunter, he won't make much more than 4M in arb. Miller is making 1.9 M so I don't see him being more than 5M as a FA. He might be worth that. Same with Norris he won't be much more than 7 M in arb. That's not too expensive. I could see him going in a trade but not non tendered. Delmon could stay if we don't sign Cruz.

Hardy- Same.

Young- Same.

Matusz- Same.

Exercise a 17 million dollar option on a mediocre RFer? No thanks. We can get the same kind of value from a number of cheaper options. David Lough and Alejandro De Aza can basically do what Nick does for far, far less.

I'd rather spend likely less than half of that on Colby Rasmus or Norichika Aoki.

IMO Duquette trades Jimenez this off season. He will take on another bad contract that fits the O's better. Until we know what happen with Hardy, Cruz, Markakis, Miller and Young we will not know what DD may trade to get.

I think they will hang on to all of our current starters. Odds are one of them will be injured by opening day. Most seasons you need 7-8 starters.

Archived