Long term, do you think Schoop will hit?

Frobby

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Schoop's ceiling is Hardy's bat.

If he can be a .270/.310/.425 type guy with 15 to 25 homers per year with plus 2b defense, that's incredibly valuable. Not a star necessarily but a contributing part of a contentions team for sure. Not every player is going to be a machado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schoop will hit just fine. Schoop will be a 20HR guy and at 2B that's huge.

Exactly. Right now what we're seeing is his floor. His defense at 2nd is top notch. From next year on we're probably looking at a 20 HR power with Gold Glove caliber defense at 2nd base. Kudos to the o's development people because every scouting report questioned he and josephs defensive ability. Them and the players got that turned around.

Exactly. Right now what we're seeing is his floor. His defense at 2nd is top notch. From next year on we're probably looking at a 20 HR power with Gold Glove caliber defense at 2nd base. Kudos to the o's development people because every scouting report questioned he and josephs defensive ability. Them and the players got that turned around.

I find it interesting that this thread came up after a night with a two run homer to put us up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'll hit...eventually. But he was rushed. He really was lackluster at AA. He was lackluster at AAA. Only thing he's bringing right now is his amazing defense...and well...maybe the occasional homer? Otherwise he's one of the worst hitters in MLB. Strikes out a ton. Overly aggressive at the plate. A lot of weak grounders to the left side of the infield. His line drive percentage is around 11%...which is awful. So he's either grounding out weakly, popping up weakly...striking out...or RARELY hitting a homer. That's it.

Much easier to work on stuff in the minors when you don't have access to the best personnel and technology to help you. :rolleyes:

Yes he will hit. Not for a huge average or OBP but with enough power and defense to hold down a job for a number of years.

Unnecessary sarcasm.

Schoop's ceiling is Hardy? hrm.

Hardy, age 22: 427 PA, .247/.327/.384 (86 OPS+)

That'd be really nice to see from Schoop at this point... especially since that would mean he gets hot at the end of the year. Personally I'm trying to think of a RH 2B with 20 home run power, few walks and a good glove... and I come up with Brandon Phillips. So there's my ceiling. If Schoop can raise his average to .270ish, he'll be that. Perhaps with even more power.

For the record, Phillips averaged 3.7 rWAR from age 26-31 with a .280/.330/.449 line and 21 HR, 39 BB, and 87 Ks per season. I sincerely doubt Schoop would keep his strikeout rate down that much but the rest seems feasible for his prime years.

I think this is an important question for the Orioles' future. I have to confess that I'm growing impatient for Schoop to pick it up with the bat. Is this just growing pains for a guy who was rushed to the majors a bit, or is he just going to be unable to consistently hit major league pitching?

I think he will, he can hammer it when he gets ahold of it. IMHO his biggest problem is HE's not AJ and needs to show a little more patience up there.

Archived