Ok. So it is the Yankees.

weams

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Capuano is Cy Young.

Yeah, everybody shrugged off Headley and McCarthy but they are both helping them win games and it didn't cost them very much. Yeah, Capuano isn't very good, but he is a guy who has had some success and can eat some innings. They are making numerous incremental moves to help themselves. If they can keep some of the vets on the field and productive they can be pretty damn good. I wouldn't underestimate them.

Yeah, everybody shrugged off Headley and McCarthy but they are both helping them win games and it didn't cost them very much. Yeah, Capuano isn't very good, but he is a guy who has had some success and can eat some innings. They are making numerous incremental moves to help themselves. If they can keep some of the vets on the field and productive they can be pretty damn good. I wouldn't underestimate them.

Sounds like Dan. :)

No matter what happens this season, is it honestly too much to ask that we just finish ahead of the damn Yankees in the standings ONCE this century? I swear they are playing well only because we are playing well. It must be in their team charter and by-laws: must not finish below Baltimore.

Deja vu all over again. It was us and them during Jeter's first whole year in the bigs. We're a better team this time though and I really think the Yankees will need a lot to go right to overtake us.

I see a some differences also, though.

I believe that BOTH the '96 Orioles and the '96 Yankees were very good teams right from the start of the season, and by season's end, both were excellent teams.

In 2014, I think that the Orioles started as a slightly-above-average team, and are progressing into a borderline excellent teams. I don't get that sense from the 2014 Yankees. I get the sense that the 2014 Yankees are an average team that occasionally flirts with contention in a division that has been left for the taking for more than half of the season.

In a nutshell, I think that the '96 Orioles were a better team than are the 2014 Yankees.

Archived