The Yankees screwed Brian Roberts

isestrex

We all know that the Yankees were hoping for lightning in a bottle with Brian and even though he remained healthy, he was still a horrible let down. Getting designated for assignment this afternoon after the trade deadline was not all that surprising.

But finding this out was:

According to Cots, Brian Roberts has Plate Appearance incentive bonuses. This makes sense as they obviously wanted to hedge his playing time against the 1/$2M contract. He gets bonuses for 250+ PA, 300+ PA, 350+ PA... and so on up to 650 PA's.

Brian is currently sitting at 348 Plate Appearances. His game log over the past 2 weeks:

7/19 - 2 for 4

7/20 - 2 for 4

7/21 - 0 for 4

7/22 - 2 for 5

7/23 - DNP

7/24 - 0 for 4

7/25 - 1 for 4

7/26 - 0 for 3

7/27 - DNP

7/28 - 0 for 3

7/29 - DNP

7/30 - DNP

He got benched in 3 of his last 4 games to keep him from reaching the next pay check bonus. I realize that this is a business and I don't fault the Yankees for making a smart business decision on a player they were preparing to drop anyway... but it still ticks me off. The Orioles would never have done this to Brian if this exact contract were in Baltimore.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, as we all know, the New York Yankees are the stingiest of teams. A tiny performance bonus would definitely alter their plans more than, say, Brian Roberts not being good at baseball anymore.

I would not put anything past them. They could win the world series every year if they wanted to, and weren't pocketing so much money. I know people mock any conspiracy theorists about the Yankees, but I still think it's fishy that major league baseball doesn't try and move another team into Brooklyn or new York city somewhere to compete against them.

We all know that the Yankees were hoping for lightning in a bottle with Brian and even though he remained healthy, he was still a horrible let down. Getting designated for assignment this afternoon after the trade deadline was not all that surprising.

But finding this out was:

According to Cots, Brian Roberts has Plate Appearance incentive bonuses. This makes sense as they obviously wanted to hedge his playing time against the 1/$2M contract. He gets bonuses for 250+ PA, 300+ PA, 350+ PA... and so on up to 650 PA's.

Brian is currently sitting at 348 Plate Appearances. His game log over the past 2 weeks:

7/19 - 2 for 4

7/20 - 2 for 4

7/21 - 0 for 4

7/22 - 2 for 5

7/23 - DNP

7/24 - 0 for 4

7/25 - 1 for 4

7/26 - 0 for 3

7/27 - DNP

7/28 - 0 for 3

7/29 - DNP

7/30 - DNP

He got benched in 3 of his last 4 games to keep him from reaching the next pay check bonus. I realize that this is a business and I don't fault the Yankees for making a smart business decision on a player they were preparing to drop anyway... but it still ticks me off. The Orioles would never have done this to Brian if this exact contract were in Baltimore.

I'm sure the bonuses were a contributing factor. The bigger factor was thee Yankees upgrading the position by adding Drew and Prado. I don't have a problem with the Yankees business practices regarding Roberts. I'm more worried that they have been quietly improving their team for the stretch run.

I don't think I've ever heard of someone getting "screwed" by virtue of receiving more than $2 million dollars from a MLB team in exchange for poor play.

I also don't think the Yankees would have thrown any roadblocks in front of BRob's bonuses if his play hadn't been poor.

He didn't deserve extra money. That's pretty much the long/short of it, IMO.

I don't think I've ever heard of someone getting "screwed" by virtue of receiving more than $2 million dollars from a MLB team in exchange for poor play.

I also don't think the Yankees would have thrown any roadblocks in front of BRob's bonuses if his play hadn't been poor.

He didn't deserve extra money. That's pretty much the long/short of it, IMO.

If Brian Roberts had played better then Joe Girardi would have played him more often, and Brian Cashman wouldn't have felt the need to shore up his infield at the trading deadline.

These are bonuses. You're not guaranteed playing time bonuses for staying healthy and not being epically bad. You get a playing time bonus for convincing your manager and GM that you're good enough to get that amount of playing time.

In any case, the Yankees lose more money in the couch cushions than a lot of other teams have as offseason budgets. Does anyone really think that they wanted to keep and play Roberts but instead thought "oooh, we can save like $200 grand by DFAing him!"? The guys they picked up at the deadline probably cost more than his bonus!

Brian took $40 million of the Orioles money for four years that resulted in about 720 plate appearances. Markakis and Hardy get that in a single season.

So... your point is? Ryan Howard took $125M of the Phils' money for being the equivalent of a 40-year-old Jeff Conine. Darren Driefort took tens of $millions from the Dodgers for sitting on the DL. Jason Schmidt did something similar. It happens every day. Teams risk their cash in an attempt to maximize wins. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it crashes and burns. The idea that the players should bail out the team is ludicrous. Both parties went into the contract knowing full well what the possible outcomes were. Or should have.

So... your point is? Ryan Howard took $125M of the Phils' money for being the equivalent of a 40-year-old Jeff Conine. Darren Driefort took tens of $millions from the Dodgers for sitting on the DL. Jason Schmidt did something similar. It happens every day. Teams risk their cash in an attempt to maximize wins. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it crashes and burns. The idea that the players should bail out the team is ludicrous. Both parties went into the contract knowing full well what the possible outcomes were. Or should have.

So the point is Brian Roberts did not meet his plate appearance incentive with the Yankees. Players risk their time in an attempt to maximize earnings. The idea that the team should bail out the players is ludicrous. Both parties went into the contract knowing full well what the possible outcomes were.

So the point is Brian Roberts did not meet his plate appearance incentive with the Yankees. Players risk their time in an attempt to maximize earnings. The idea that the team should bail out the players is ludicrous. Both parties went into the contract knowing full well what the possible outcomes were.

The point is, your comment that Roberts took money is wrong.

Archived