Disagreeing With The Smartest Man In The Room

Can_of_corn

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, the fact is Moneyball was about finding value where others couldn't. Whether or not he's got it right this year he has staked out a path.

And people may be forgetting that Cespedes was not going to be re-signed by the A's long term and his current contract precluded them from making him a QO after 2015. His future value was more limited than you might imagine. So, if he really believes this is his shot then he's making a bold move.

After watching struggle to score any runs vs Guthrie last night, though, he had better hope that Reddick or someone of the guys that were undervalued by other teams are able to step for the production he's losing with Cespedes. I looked at them and thought, "These guys have all been playing over their heads," not "Oh, these guys are undervalued."

However, if I look at what he's done and the way he's done it I do it the same way. The pitching he's assembled is perfect to make a run in the playoffs.

This is why I agree with Beane. You give up an offensive player to get that perfect rotation. 5, 6 guys for like 3, 4 Playoff spots. The pitching is SO important, usually SO dominant in the Playoffs. It's what gets you thru to the end.

Wow! You really both think? I haven't looked close at his numbers but I would guess he's much more than TonyB.

Batista 2001 season with the Orioles: .266/.305/.468 .776 OPS

Cespedes this year: .256/.303/.464 .767 OPS

Yes, Cespedes provides better defense, (I'm assuming, I've tried to forget about those Orioles teams as best as I can) but from an offensive perspective they're the same. I thought Cespedes would be a .330 or so OBP guy but apparently not. He was great in his first year, .356..... .303 or under every year since.

Batista 2001 season with the Orioles: .266/.305/.468 .776 OPS

Cespedes this year: .256/.303/.464 .767 OPS

Yes, Cespedes provides better defense, (I'm assuming, I've tried to forget about those Orioles teams as best as I can) but from an offensive perspective they're the same. I thought Cespedes would be a .330 or so OBP guy but apparently not. He was great in his first year, .356..... .303 or under every year since.

Tony Batista career OPS+ 93 (105,105,73 w/balt)

Cespedes career OPS+ 119.

Folks you have to adjust for the differing offensive environments.

Archived