Ubaldo moves to the bullpen

xian4

The Barry Zito effect. At least ours wasn't a 120 million dollar mistake. I hope Ufraudo can turn it around before the season is over. He is a good guy, just he's a fraud. :(

Stop it really. We get it, you think he's a fraud. By definition of the word fraud, you are using it wrong. He didn't defraud the team at all, he is what he is, what exactly did he do that was fraudulent? Also, it's in the rules that you don't insult the players, Ufraudo isn't only an inappropriate "nickname", its not even clever.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stop it really. We get it, you think he's a fraud. By definition of the word fraud, you are using it wrong. He didn't defraud the team at all, he is what he is, what exactly did he do that was fraudulent? Also, it's in the rules that you don't insult the players, Ufraudo isn't only an inappropriate "nickname", its not even clever.

Well put. It's beyond idiotic to call a baseball player a fraud unless he deliberately hides an injury or lies about his age or lies about taking PEDs, etc. To commit fraud means to deliberately deceive or cheat. Ubaldo's previous stats, and film of his previous starts are all there for everybody to see. He is what he is -- and the O's took a calculated risk.

At this point there is just not enough time left in the regular season to keep trotting him out there as a starter with the hope that he'll turn it around in 4 or 5 starts. Plus, you need Gonzo to be sharp for the playoffs.

Also it is totally nonsensical to DFA Matusz right now, with only a few games left before rosters expand and playoff rivals like Detroit starving for relief pitching. Let the Tigers sweat it out, don't serve em up a quality LOOGY who can also probably outperform half their existing bullpen against righties too.

I don't think anyone should criticize Jimenez for being with the O's. With the exception of 2 half-seasons, he was not known as a good pitcher. He should have never been signed.

Why aren't more people criticizing Duquette for signing Jimenez? Duquette is supposed to be some great judge of talent, and he apparently couldn't see what everyone could. As the off-season moved on, more and more fans were saying that the O's had to make a move to better the team. I'm sure Duquette was aware of that so he goes out and overpays for a crummy pitcher just to show he was doing his job. As I have posted many times, Duquette has shown again why he was out of major league baseball for so long.

And why do some of you think that Jimenez will do better next year? It's not like this was his first year in the AL. Jimenez is going to be a worse albatross to the O's than Joey Belle was after he got hurt. Belle was still taking a spot on the 40-man roster, but at least he wasn't taking a spot on the major league roster.

I don't think anyone should criticize Jimenez for being with the O's. With the exception of 2 half-seasons, he was not known as a good pitcher. He should have never been signed.

Why aren't more people criticizing Duquette for signing Jimenez? Duquette is supposed to be some great judge of talent, and he apparently couldn't see what everyone could. As the off-season moved on, more and more fans were saying that the O's had to make a move to better the team. I'm sure Duquette was aware of that so he goes out and overpays for a crummy pitcher just to show he was doing his job. As I have posted many times, Duquette has shown again why he was out of major league baseball for so long.

And why do some of you think that Jimenez will do better next year? It's not like this was his first year in the AL. Jimenez is going to be a worse albatross to the O's than Joey Belle was after he got hurt. Belle was still taking a spot on the 40-man roster, but at least he wasn't taking a spot on the major league roster.

Billy Beane traded for Jim Johnson last winter. I guess he was just trying to show that he was doing his job, too.

Because every other contract ever, regardless of dollar amount, has worked out for every other signing team but the Orioles.

Clearly.

It's amazing that a guy who has been as valuable as Mike Flanagan's or Scott McGregor's whole careers hid it so well you think he's Sidney Ponson or something.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck said they just talked to Jimenez and he took it OK. Had a side day today and will be avail in the pen shortly.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="
">August 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ubaldo will go to pen at least until next turn thru rotation. Norris will start Saturday, Gonzalez likely Sunday and Tillman Monday.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

The last thing this team needs is a bullpen guy that can't throw strikes..

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck said they just talked to Jimenez and he took it OK. Had a side day today and will be avail in the pen shortly.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ubaldo will go to pen at least until next turn thru rotation. Norris will start Saturday, Gonzalez likely Sunday and Tillman Monday.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

The last thing this team needs is a bullpen guy that can't throw strikes..

As long as he's not in high leverage situations I think this could be OK. I just get bad visions of him walking in a go-ahead run.

Well...

Plan (A) = Britton

Plan (B) = Miller or O'Day

Plan © = O'Day or Miller

Plan (D) = Brach or Hunter

Plan (E) = Hunter or Brach

...so Ublado would pretty much be plan "F".

Archived