Manny Machado expected to have surgery on knee within a week.

Greg

I would like Manny to play of the Orioles would like him to. I have no medical information, nor do I want to have any.
Well you just said that you know some of the doctors felt Manny could have played last year without the surgery. So you don't seem reluctant to pose as someone who does.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why else would you watch and wait unless you thought it possible that he could return this season? Either the Oriole doctors felt he could return this season or not? Which is it, Mr. Evasive.

I think you are tryng to read something here that is not here. I think the Orioles as a club would have preferred that Manny wait. The would have preferred that Manny not throw a bat. They would have preferred that Manny not have his "Back" issue.

Absolutely. However, it's doubtful that Oriole doctors, and Duquette and Showalter on advice from said doctors, would put his career at serious risk. That is assuming that their own doctors felt he could return and play this season.

We don't know what the team and its doctors were prioritizing. We don't even really know what they said. Did they recommend, as his best option, that he continue playing on the bad knee, rather than have surgery? Did they list rest/rehab along with surgery as potential options? Did they say surgery would probably be necessary eventually either way?

Manny's personal doctor (i.e., the guy who should have Manny's, as opposed to the Orioles', best interests in mind) recommended surgery to completely fix the problem. Say what you will about that doctor, but I think that should carry significant weight. The O's doctors have ethical obligations to their patients just like every other doctor, but the O's don't necessarily have to keep the full length of Manny's career in mind when advocating for certain courses of action, particularly if, realistically speaking, they don't see themselves handing out a $100+ million dollar contract extension to anyone in the near future.

Well you just said that you know some of the doctors felt Manny could have played last year without the surgery. So you don't seem reluctant to pose as someone who does.

I read that some of the doctors last year felt that Manny did not definitively need surgery. I guess I know nothing. I'll pose as nothing as well.

Maybe. I know Nick wanted to try to play in the World Series in 2012.

As a matter of fact, Nick said himself in 2012 he would have been able to play, and healed up by the time it would have taken us to make it to the World Series. His thumb was bad with pins and all, but unlike Manny, that injury was non load bearing. If Manny had come back (thankfully he made the decision for surgery) he would have been a DH, guaranteed he would not be playing defense. -and now that I think about DH would have been sketchy too.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-10-27/sports/bal-nick-markakis-thumb-will-be-cleared-for-all-activities-on-tuesday-20121027_1_orioles-right-fielder-charity-event-nick-markakis

Trying to get a straight answer out of you is no fun, you can be sure of that.

All my answers were the same. I believe that the Orioles wanted to wait. I believe that Neal ElAttrache wanted to cut. I also believe Manny wanted the surgery two weeks ago. His answers to direct questions were very discouraging. And I know Buck dislikes ElAttrache for several reasons. That's good enough for me.

You said, and I quote "I think other doctors felt he could have played". Is that total supposition/opinion on your part or is that a fact? If it's supposition than everything you said wasn't a fact. If it's a fact, I don't see how could answer "Nope" when I said you intimated that Oriole doctors felt he could play again this season.

I had read that some doctors felt he could have rehabbed last year, and I am suppose that some feel that way this time as well.

Manny, "Doc what are the odds of my playing in the playoffs with rest and rehab?" Dr A, 35 % Dr. B, 50% Dr C 65 %.

Manny, "What are the odds I can completely rupture the ligament if I try to play?" Dr. A 60% Dr B 50% Dr. C 35 %

Manny, " What are the odds that the underlying structural anomaly plus the weakened ligament could lead to career ending injury?" Dr. A 40% Dr B 30% Dr C 20 %.

Who knows what the numbers actually were, but there most likely was a divergence of opinions, there almost always is, and how comfortable would any one be deciding to play. I doubt it was O's doctors - no risk, and Manny's doctors - total risk, as some would seem to have it.

When Cal Ripken played in the '83 World Series, he never thought that would be his one and only time. I can't imagine that Manny is walking away from what could be his best shot at a title for purely selfish reasons. We don't know what, if any, second opinion, differs from that of ElAttrache.

Put yourself in his position, and not as one of a diehard fan. Would you want to continue to work long-time for an employer that only treats you as a fungible commodity, especially when in a few years you'll have a myriad of other options? I only hope that he rewards the Orioles for their loyalty when he hits free agency.

The season was over last year so there was no way he would have played again that year.

The question, and you apparently have ZERO knowledge ...You don't know. You certainly make it seem like you do know and I'm not the only one who reads your posts that way.

I never said he could play, and yes you are the only one who said I did. I said the Orioles were not the impetus for this decision.

Archived