Schoop Slowly But Surely Getting It

brianod

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What Schoop has learned is how to punish mistakes. Now he just needs to learn what not to swing at. He reminds me a lot Adam Jones in his first year here. Hopefully he develops as Jones did.

Melewski just said that homer was 446 feet, longest at OPACY this year. The kid is strong as an ox. Nice disposition, too.

They showed a video of both home runs, last night and tonight, and that they were basically in the same place both times.

What Schoop has learned is how to punish mistakes. Now he just needs to learn what not to swing at. He reminds me a lot Adam Jones in his first year here. Hopefully he develops as Jones did.

Melewski just said that homer was 446 feet, longest at OPACY this year. The kid is strong as an ox. Nice disposition, too.

This is the key. Last night, after the HR, he had a 3-1 count, and the pitcher (don't remember who), threw a pitch that was VERY inside and he popped it up for an out. I was thinking out loud "why would you swing at that pitch?...just take the walk". He feasts on pitches out over the plate and on a 3-1 count he should be looking for THAT pitch, but he swung at ball four. I guess he will learn this in time...or he may end up like Jones...nothing wrong with that, either.

The shortsighted side of me was ready to send him down in April after he didn't cut off that throw in Boston. Glad I'm not in charge.

It wasn't/isn't shortsighted. For most of the season Schoop has been a pretty average to bad major league player whose play the Orioles have had to overcome. I'm not sure that has changed over the last week, but if it has, it does change the player he was for most of the season.

He's looked like a different hitter the last 3 weeks. Not being as aggressive earlier on. He still has quite a few dud at bats, but he's finally driving the ball. It seemed for the first 4 months of the season that he wasn't driving much aside from an accidental homer. Low and behold he's being more patient in the AB...and look at the results. Looking good the last 3 weeks indeed.

Uh...he doesn't turn 23 until the middle of October. He was the 3rd youngest player in the International League (AAA) last season.

EDIT: he was also the 3rd youngest player in the AL as of Opening Day 2014.

Was Manny first or second (he's 22 as of July of this year if I'm not mistaken)?

Random question but what is schoop's BA and OPS since frank Robinson gave him that great advice that "you own the first two strikes"?

Just wondering.

Dunno, but I can give you this:

March/April - 82 PA, .241/.268/.405 (.673)

May - 91 PA, .188/.233/.294 (.527)

June - 81 PA, .243/.300/.324 (.624)

July - 69 PA, .179/.191/.269 (.460)

August - 83 PA, .241/.268/.481 (.749)

September - 9 PA, .333/.333/1.111 (1.444)

If Frank's advice was sometime in August, there's your answer.

He seems to be peaking at the right time. I was with some of the others who wanted him in the minors at the beginning of the year to keep his service time down, especially when he was really struggling. His defense kept him in the big leagues and now his bat is coming around. Not only was his HR tonight hit a mile, it was a really terrific AB. Fought back from 1-2 (if I recall) to get to 3-2. Waited for his pitch and got it. That was a bigtime MLB sequence.The question is whether that .749 OPS August was one hot month or just Schoop achieving a "new normal".

Dunno, but I can give you this:

March/April - 82 PA, .241/.268/.405 (.673)

May - 91 PA, .188/.233/.294 (.527)

June - 81 PA, .243/.300/.324 (.624)

July - 69 PA, .179/.191/.269 (.460)

August - 83 PA, .241/.268/.481 (.749)

September - 9 PA, .333/.333/1.111 (1.444)

If Frank's advice was sometime in August, there's your answer.

It was. It was the day of the 60 year anniversary reunion.

It wasn't/isn't shortsighted. For most of the season Schoop has been a pretty average to bad major league player whose play the Orioles have had to overcome. I'm not sure that has changed over the last week' date=' but if it has, it does change the player he was for most of the season.[/quote']

As of this morning, he was worth 1.4 rWAR on the season. he's played 114 games thus far, a bit less than 75% of a full season. That's essentially a 2 WAR player, or a major league starter. Pretty good for a 22 year-old.

Archived