Palmer Calls Throwing at Joseph a Gutless Act

brianod

2015 Bautista right in the back by O'day. Yes O'day...he remembers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well. O'day didn't wait. Glad he was able to get a lil revenge, especially with his history against Bautista. That's the way you send a message. Bautista, for a moment, looked like he was going to retaliate but actually thought about it for a second and took his base. Still dislike the guy but he earned a lil respect from me tonight by doing so.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well. O'day didn't wait. Glad he was able to get a lil revenge, especially with his history against Bautista. That's the way you send a message. Bautista, for a moment, looked like he was going to retaliate but actually thought about it for a second and took his base. Still dislike the guy but he earned a lil respect from me tonight by doing so.

That was for Nick. Darren autographed it.

Bob Gibson's career high for HBP is 13. Bud Norris has 14 this year. Just saying.

Don Drysdale led the league in HBP five times, averaged a HBP once every 22.2 innings, and pitched back when men were men and threw fastballs at anyone who stepped out of baseball's unwritten lines.

Today the average pitcher hits only slightly fewer batters than Drysdale, with the AL 2014 average being a HBP every 25.6 innings.

Bob Gibson's career high for HBP is 13. Bud Norris has 14 this year. Just saying.
Don Drysdale led the league in HBP five times, averaged a HBP once every 22.2 innings, and pitched back when men were men and threw fastballs at anyone who stepped out of baseball's unwritten lines.

Today the average pitcher hits only slightly fewer batters than Drysdale, with the AL 2014 average being a HBP every 25.6 innings.

Guys were good at hitting the dirt back in the day and taking a seat. They didn't wear body armor either and hang over the plate like they owned it. Well, maybe Ron Hunt was an artist.

Can you imagine anyone throwing at one of Bob Gibson's teamates back when pitchers still had to hit for themselves?

Well, ummm, yea. Gibson played from 1959-1975, and during that period St. Louis batters were hit by 521 pitches.

Take this game, for example. Gibson started, went the distance, and never hit anyone despite three of his teammates getting plunked. Or this one, where the same thing happened.

Oh, and there was no meaningful change in the AL HBP rate in the 5-10 years before and after the adoption of the DH rule.

Personally, I believe the stories of Gibson and Drysdale throwing at hitters are embellished. Guys hot dogged it a lot less back then too.

Sal Maglie was known as "The Barber" for his tendency to buzz the other team's faces with knockdown pitches. His career high in HBP in any one season was 10, and never hit more than six in any other season despite pitching over 200 innings multiple times.

Either the stories were embellished, or pitchers from the good ol' days threw a lot of balls with more bark than bite.

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 1px 3px; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;" title="Embedded Tweet" height="183"></iframe>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Stroman suspended 6 games and fined for pitch behind Caleb Joseph's head</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">September 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

Good. Well deserved.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Stroman suspended 6 games and fined for pitch behind Caleb Joseph's head</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

In other words, he misses one start, which looking at their schedule means.....NY.

They don't have any off days remaining, which means NY gets to face a pitcher that Toronto either calls up or pulls out of their bullpen.

Good. The more games they win now that they are irrelevant the lower they draft.

I don't care what the Yanks or Jays do here on out unless they are playing the O's.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Stroman is appealing the suspension. He also was fined</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

Good. The more games they win now that they are irrelevant the lower they draft.

I don't care what the Yanks or Jays do here on out unless they are playing the O's.

I want NY dead.

You hear me?

Not breathing.

Dead.

NSFW <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UceGF3M56bE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't want Girardi to catch a single break for the rest of the season.

Archived