Greg

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

231 PM EDT THU OCT 9 2014

.SYNOPSIS...

A STATIONARY BOUNDARY WILL DEVELOP OVER CENTRAL VIRGINIA TONIGHT

AND IT WILL REMAIN NEARBY THROUGH FRIDAY WHILE IT STRENGTHENS. LOW

PRESSURE WILL RIDE ALONG THE BOUNDARY FRIDAY NIGHT AND HIGH

PRESSURE WILL BUILD IN BEHIND THIS SYSTEM SATURDAY INTO SUNDAY.

HIGH PRESSURE WILL MOVE OFF THE COAST EARLY NEXT WEEK AND A STRONG

COLD FRONT MAY IMPACT THE AREA DURING THE MIDDLE PORTION OF NEXT

WEEK.

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH FRIDAY/...

A WEAK STATIONARY BOUNDARY REMAINS BETWEEN SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE

OVER THE OHIO VALLEY AND ANOTHER AREA OF HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE

CAROLINAS. FORCING IS WEAK ALONG THE FRONT AND THERE IS LITTLE

TEMPERATURE OR DEWPOINT GRADIENT. THEREFORE...IT WILL NOT HAVE AN

IMPACT ON OUR WEATHER THIS AFTERNOON. HOWEVER...HIGH AND MID-LEVEL

CLOUDS WILL CONTINUE TO INCREASE LATE THIS AFTERNOON AS MOISTURE

MOVES IN FROM THE WEST. A FEW SPRINKLES/AREAS OF LIGHT RAIN

CANNOT BE RULED OUT NEAR THE POTOMAC HIGHLANDS AND SHENANDOAH

VALLEY AS A JET MAX IN THE ZONAL FLOW ALOFT SWINGS THROUGH.

HOWEVER...THE LOW- LEVELS ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN DRY SO ANY RAIN

WILL BE LIGHT.

THE STATIONARY BOUNDARY WILL BE DRAPED ACROSS CENTRAL VIRGINIA

INTO THE TENNESSEE VALLEY AND SOUTHERN PLAINS TONIGHT. LOW

PRESSURE ALONG THE BOUNDARY OVER THE SOUTHERN PLAINS WILL BEGIN TO

PUSH EASTWARD TOWARD THE TENNESSEE VALLEY TONIGHT. A FEW SPRINKLES

AND AREAS OF LIGHT RAIN CANNOT BE RULED OUT THIS

EVENING...ESPECIALLY NEAR AND WEST OF THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS BUT

THE STEADIER RAIN FROM THE OVERRUNNING WILL NOT DEVELOP UNTIL LATE

TONIGHT ACROSS THE POTOMAC HIGHLANDS.

THE SURFACE LOW WILL CONTINUE TO TRACK THROUGH THE TENNESSEE

VALLEY FRIDAY. THIS WILL INCREASE FRONTOGENETICAL FORCING ALONG

THE STATIONARY BOUNDARY AND OVERRUNNING WILL BE STRONGER. THIS

WILL CAUSE PLENTY OF CLOUDS AND RAIN IS EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD THE

AREA. RAIN WILL OCCUR MOST OF THE DAY ACROSS THE NORTHERN AND

WESTERN PORTIONS OF THE CWA...BUT FURTHER SOUTH ACROSS THE

WASHINGTON METROPOLITAN AREA INTO CENTRAL VIRGINIA AND SOUTHERN

MARYLAND THE RAIN MAY HOLD OFF UNTIL THE AFTERNOON. MAX TEMPS WILL

RANGE FROM THE 50S NEAR THE MASON-DIXON LINE TO THE MID AND UPPER

60S NEAR WASHINGTON DC.

&&

.SHORT TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT/...

LOW PRESSURE WILL RIDE ALONG THE STATIONARY BOUNDARY...PASSING

THROUGH OUR AREA FRIDAY NIGHT. THIS WILL BRING MORE RAIN TO THE

ENTIRE AREA. RAIN MAY END TOWARD MORNING AS THE LOW MOVES OFF TO

THE EAST. MIN TEMPS WILL RANGE FROM THE 40S IN PORTIONS OF

NORTHERN AND WESTERN MARYLAND TO THE UPPER 50S ACROSS CENTRAL

VIRGINIA.

Not a lot of significant changes. Looks to be consistent with latest NAM output. Pretty astonishing temperature gradient though.

If you put the "radar in motion" on weather.com and look at the rain coming from the West, it really looks like it is starting to dicipate and weaken a little bit. I'm not weather expert but unless the system strengthens again I really don't think it will be that bad.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you put the "radar in motion" on weather.com and look at the rain coming from the West, it really looks like it is starting to dicipate and weaken a little bit. I'm not weather expert but unless the system strengthens again I really don't think it will be that bad.

I take that back. It looks like it is weakening from my mobile phone. Not when I look at the radar on my laptop. Doesn't look good. :(

Me too.

f4bmn5t.jpg

I'm also strangely comforted by the fact that Richie Bancells is still the Orioles trainer. He's like my one single uninterrupted tie remaining to my childhood Orioles fandom.

My buddy and I took the time to look at every single team photo for the last 30 years. It was hard to miss the one constant in every single one of them.

http://www.baltimoremagazine.net/2014/3/interview-with-richie-bancells-orioles-head-athletic-trainer

I was at the 2008 World Series Game 5 in Philly where they had to put the game on pause for 48 hours. Worst weather you could ever imagine. Friday's game will be played. Expect a lot of sand to be dumped on the infield dirt and some longer delays at each half inning for upkeep. Worst scenario is they start the game and then it just opens up in like the 3rd inning and they have to erase the game and start over again Saturday like nothing happened. Just make sure you don't lose you stub one you get in to the park in case you need it for the next day. Without your stub, you'll be toast.

I was at the 2008 World Series Game 5 in Philly where they had to put the game on pause for 48 hours. Worst weather you could ever imagine. Friday's game will be played. Expect a lot of sand to be dumped on the infield dirt and some longer delays at each half inning for upkeep. Worst scenario is they start the game and then it just opens up in like the 3rd inning and they have to erase the game and start over again Saturday like nothing happened. Just make sure you don't lose you stub one you get in to the park in case you need it for the next day. Without your stub, you'll be toast.

I went back and checked some historical data. It apparently only rained 2 tents sn inch in 2 hours.

The forecast calls for more than that, but in a longer time span. I thought it rained harder than that in Philly, but it is what it is.

I'm changing my opinion. I don't see them starting a game they may have to finish before 4 pm Saturday.

Two of us are flying up tomorrow and have 2 tickets in section 15 for game #2. I fly out Sunday afternoon and if game #2 gets pushed to Sunday' date=' will not be able to go. I'm just wondering if there is someone willing to swap 2 tickets for game#1 for 2 tickets to game #2.......obviously will not be in the same section, but looking for something somewhat similar.[/quote']

That trade might make sense for me. I have the opposite issue. Mine are actually sec 14. Just sent you private message.

Practicing meteorologist (AccuWx) here!

Rain becomes increasingly likely throughout the day. Will start the day having a tough time making it out of the mtns to the west, but as the day goes on, showers/patches rain make it to the east. Overnight period is the wettest as rain steadies and may come down moderately at times (mets: ECMWF ensemble mean QPF gives a solid .40 inches 00z-12z SAT).

In my opinion, too much risk (injuries) involved with playing this game and probably turns out too wet. I just hope they call it early before the players and teams (and those who plan on going to the game) start going through the motions.

On another note, I think Monday evening will be OK in KC. Rain will probably end before that game starts.

Two of us are flying up tomorrow and have 2 tickets in section 15 for game #2. I fly out Sunday afternoon and if game #2 gets pushed to Sunday' date=' will not be able to go. I'm just wondering if there is someone willing to swap 2 tickets for game#1 for 2 tickets to game #2.......obviously will not be in the same section, but looking for something somewhat similar.[/quote']

I have a pair of tickets in 324 row 2 for game 1 that I would be interested in trading for similar seats for game 2 if game 1 is rained out as I won't be able to use them on Saturday but would be able to use them Sunday. If anyone has similar seats and would be interested in a swap please let me know.

Archived