Calling for Rain all day Friday.

Greg

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't Bud Selig come out and say that all post season games will go the full 9 yards a few years ago? If so, You would think the rulebook would have been, ya know, updated.

Yes, he did, there are no more any rain shortened playoff games and if you google, you will see a few playoff games continued on the next day.

No offense to ole Marty, but I'll defer to the guy with a met degree.

Given that Marty was working with 12 hour newer data, he could very well be right.

But, then again, even us non degree holding fans can look at the weather map and understand, it's not looking like a nice evening for playing ball.

But, then again, even us non degree holding fans can look at the weather map and understand, it's not looking like a nice evening for playing ball.

Pretty much. It's unquestionably dicey and we likely won't know for sure until tomorrow. But, it's going to be wet either way.

We just have to hope it's light enough to play and the heavy stuff holds off until after the game.

Pretty much. It's unquestionably dicey and we likely won't know for sure until tomorrow. But, it's going to be wet either way.

We just have to hope it's light enough to play and the heavy stuff holds off until after the game.

Fortunately, they have good ground crews in place, and outstanding infrastructure under the field to drain the water away.

And no matter how light the rain is, if it has lightening, then all bets are off and nobody is playing, until the storms pass through.

Given that Marty was working with 12 hour newer data, he could very well be right.

It really amounts to how fast the rain will actually fall. 1/2-3/4" of rain over the course of a game is manageable IMO. Grounds crew will have to spend more time throwing out lime to eat the moisture. If the rain rate exceeds the moisture carrying capability of the soil, the water has nowhere to go and so it ponds or otherwise gets really slick.

I'll wait until the 12 PM results come out, but it might be too close to call. What scares me is MLB wants this game to be played on Friday. No baseball has happened since Tuesday, and there is no college or NFL to compete with on tv. The best interest for MLB here is not ours.

It really amounts to how fast the rain will actually fall. 1/2-3/4" of rain over the course of a game is manageable IMO. Grounds crew will have to spend more time throwing out lime to eat the moisture. If the rain rate exceeds the moisture carrying capability of the soil, the water has nowhere to go and so it ponds or otherwise gets really slick.

I'll wait until the 12 PM results come out, but it might be too close to call. What scares me is MLB wants this game to be played on Friday. No baseball has happened since Tuesday, and there is no college or NFL to compete with on tv. The best interest for MLB here is not ours.

Its pretty impressive the amount of water OPACY can get rid of with the pumps and drainage beds under the field.

Fortunately, they have good ground crews in place, and outstanding infrastructure under the field to drain the water away.

And no matter how light the rain is, if it has lightening, then all bets are off and nobody is playing, until the storms pass through.

If the rain was caused by a cold front, I would agree with You. You typically need warm wet air to rise very high into the sky to form the tall high clouds needed for lightning, and that warm wet air has to cool to freezing point. That usually happens in the explosive storms caused by a cold front in spring- or the convective "pop up showers" in summer.

But this is a warm front, and so the height from which the precip falls will be very low in the atmosphere. The clouds will be at near ambient temperature.

If the rain was caused by a cold front, I would agree with You. You typically need warm wet air to rise very high into the sky to form the tall high clouds needed for lightning, and that warm wet air has to cool to freezing point. That usually happens in the explosive storms caused by a cold front in spring- or the convective "pop up showers" in summer.

But this is a warm front, and so the height from which the precip falls will be very low in the atmosphere. The clouds will be at near ambient temperature.

NOAA is saying 90% chance of rain and rain amounts of 1/4 to 1/2 an hour possible for Friday Night.

Its pretty impressive the amount of water OPACY can get rid of with the pumps and drainage beds under the field.

the weakest link is the saturation limit of the infield dirt. I assume it has enough clay and silt in it that it does turn somewhat plastic when the top layer gets rained on hard.

Just looked at the report and things really have turned negative in the last 12 hrs. I hope the projections are wrong. As mentioned before, Selig will have this game start and TBS likely won't move up the game time to say 6 or 7. It's going to be a stress filled weekend.

Archived