Calling for Rain all day Friday.

Greg

Question for the group. I am traveling from out of town and purchased tickets for Game 2 on Saturday. If Game 1 on Friday is cancelled, do those tickets get you into the Game 2 slot, or would the holders of Game 1 use them on the make-up date (potentially Sunday)?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SUSPENDED GAMES.

(a) A game shall become a suspended game that must be completed at a future date if the game is terminated for any of the following reasons:

(1) A curfew imposed by law;

(2) A time limit permissible under league rules;

(3) Light failure or malfunction of a mechanical field device under control of the home club. (Mechanical field device shall include automatic tarpaulin or water removal equipment);

(4) Darkness, when a law prevents the lights from being turned on;

(5) Weather, if a regulation game is called while an inning is in progress and before the inning is completed, and the visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead, and the home team has not retaken the lead; or

(6) It is a regulation game that is called with the score tied. National Association Leagues may also adopt the following rules for suspended games. (If adopted by a National Association League, Rule 4.10(e) would not apply to their games.):

(7) The game has not become a regulation game (41/2 innings with the home team ahead, or 5 innings with the visiting club ahead or tied).

(8) If a game is suspended before it becomes a regulation game, and is continued prior to another regularly scheduled game, the regularly scheduled game with be limited to seven innings.

(9) If a game is suspended after it is a regulation game, and is continued prior to another regularly scheduled game, the regularly scheduled game will be a nine inning game.

EXCEPTION: Optional Rules 4.12(a)(7), 4.12(a)(8) and 4.12(a)(9) for National Association Leagues will not apply to the last scheduled game between the two teams during the championship season or league playoffs.

No game called because of a curfew (Rule 4.12(a)(1)), weather (Rule 4.12(a)(5)), a time limit (Rule 4.12(a)(2)) or with a tied score (Rule 4.12(a)(6)) shall be a suspended game unless it has progressed far enough to have been a regulation game pursuant to Rule 4.10©. A game called pursuant to Rules 4.12(a)(3) or 4.12(a)(4) shall be a suspended game at any time after it starts.

So a suspended game could start before the Saturday game. That would be weird. The people who had tickets for game 1 would see a not completed game and game 2 people might get a couple of innings and another game. Don't see baseball doing this .

Tickets are labeled game 1, game 2, etc.

Not a guaranteed date.

If Friday is rained out.

Then Game 1 is on Saturday and Game 2 probably on Sunday.

Not a guaranteed date.

If Friday is rained out.

But if a game got suspended and needed to be finished before the next game.

Friday goes 6 innings and ends in a tie. Rain comes and game is not completed. Do they finish the game on Saturday before the regularly scheduled game.?

Not a guaranteed date.

If Friday is rained out.

I was just about to ask what the scenarios would be if the game is rained out tomorrow.

To me, that makes the most sense (Game 1 to Saturday and Game 2 Sunday), but is there any way to know this for certain, or is it up to the Orioles to decide at the time they call it off tomorrow?

I was just about to ask what the scenarios would be if the game is rained out tomorrow.

To me, that makes the most sense (Game 1 to Saturday and Game 2 Sunday), but is there any way to know this for certain, or is it up to the Orioles to decide at the time they call it off tomorrow?

I think MLB calls the shots now with some Oriole input.

But if a game got suspended and needed to be finished before the next game.

Friday goes 6 innings and ends in a tie. Rain comes and game is not completed. Do they finish the game on Saturday before the regularly scheduled game.?

The bigger question is....If you have gotten tickets from the internet, or a friend, and the game is suspended and made up before the next scheduled game.....How do you get back in?

Should I print a second set of tickets?

Tom Tasslemeyer painted an fairly optimistic picture on WBAL last night. Although rain would certainly be in the area, the heavy stuff could stay to the north and there'd be a decent window to get the game in on Friday. Also, the rain should clear out in plenty of time for Game 2. I'm not sure how reliable the RPM model is, but we just have to hope it plays out that way. Of course, the rain could always shift.

Honestly, I'm thinking MLB should just move the game to Sunday since we know conditions will be fine for baseball.

Tom Tasslemeyer painted an fairly optimistic picture on WBAL last night. Although rain would certainly be in the area, the heavy stuff could stay to the north and there'd be a decent window to get the game in on Friday. Also, the rain should clear out in plenty of time for Game 2. I'm not sure how reliable the RPM model is, but we just have to hope it plays out that way. Of course, the rain could always shift.

Honestly, I'm thinking MLB should just move the game to Sunday since we know conditions will be fine for baseball.

Marty Bass on 105.7 this AM was not too optimistic.

SUSPENDED GAMES.

(a) A game shall become a suspended game that must be completed at a future date if the game is terminated for any of the following reasons:

(1) A curfew imposed by law;

(2) A time limit permissible under league rules;

(3) Light failure or malfunction of a mechanical field device under control of the home club. (Mechanical field device shall include automatic tarpaulin or water removal equipment);

(4) Darkness, when a law prevents the lights from being turned on;

(5) Weather, if a regulation game is called while an inning is in progress and before the inning is completed, and the visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead, and the home team has not retaken the lead; or

(6) It is a regulation game that is called with the score tied. National Association Leagues may also adopt the following rules for suspended games. (If adopted by a National Association League, Rule 4.10(e) would not apply to their games.):

(7) The game has not become a regulation game (41/2 innings with the home team ahead, or 5 innings with the visiting club ahead or tied).

(8) If a game is suspended before it becomes a regulation game, and is continued prior to another regularly scheduled game, the regularly scheduled game with be limited to seven innings.

(9) If a game is suspended after it is a regulation game, and is continued prior to another regularly scheduled game, the regularly scheduled game will be a nine inning game.

EXCEPTION: Optional Rules 4.12(a)(7), 4.12(a)(8) and 4.12(a)(9) for National Association Leagues will not apply to the last scheduled game between the two teams during the championship season or league playoffs.

No game called because of a curfew (Rule 4.12(a)(1)), weather (Rule 4.12(a)(5)), a time limit (Rule 4.12(a)(2)) or with a tied score (Rule 4.12(a)(6)) shall be a suspended game unless it has progressed far enough to have been a regulation game pursuant to Rule 4.10©. A game called pursuant to Rules 4.12(a)(3) or 4.12(a)(4) shall be a suspended game at any time after it starts.

Didn't Bud Selig come out and say that all post season games will go the full 9 yards a few years ago? If so, You would think the rulebook would have been, ya know, updated.

Archived