2015 Orioles

Ripken

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this what your hearing? Or is this your educated guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think even the great Dr. to the Stars could begin to speculate at this point. So certainly not me. We all were very optimistic last time, and I do know he was not ready to come back even when he finally did this year. I like May 1 myself.

Like what? Keep in mind that this reflects OD. So no Davis--the everyday 1B man.

I think that DD doesn't bring back Markakis and Cruz gets an obscene offer that we shouldn't match.

Do we know that Wieters' arm will be ready by OD so he can catch? I'm being optimistic regarding Machado's knees. I hope he gets a full spring training.

All of those things. Thanks.

All of those things. Thanks.

You're welcome. I have a lot of respect for what DD has done with this team. I could see how my lineup would look like I have a lack of confidence in him if that was the everyday lineup.

I can't quite figure out what they are going to do about RF if they are looking for an external solution.

I do think the position roster changes will be minimal if they are happy with Machado and Wieters' rehab.

One potential pick up, if he's not offered arb, is Sanchez from Pitt. He's a righty who could see ABs in left or 1B.

Doubt Wieters' arm will be ready OD. Maybe not Manny either. Need better than De Aza to lead off.

Uh, why not? The rehabilitation timeline for position players looks nothing like it does for pitchers. Opening day will be, what, almost 10 months after he had the surgery?

Uh, why not? The rehabilitation timeline for position players looks nothing like it does for pitchers. Opening day will be, what, almost 10 months after he had the surgery?

Catchers are not exactly the same as other position players.

There is some question when Wieters will be able to get behind the dish.

An extremely small samples size, because most folks do not feel that catchers are worth the investment in time for Tommy John surgery, suggests that they fair poorly upon return. Unlike pitchers.

C have a much heaver stress on their arms than ither position players. Closer to pitchers

Probably an OF and someone acquired in trade for a SP. Someone like Ben Revere or Denard Span.

I think Revere is an interesting option. He'd give us a dynamic that we don't currently have. Of course his career OBP is lower than De Aza's. He has three years until he's a free agent. I don't know how his arm would be in right, and, more importantly, I don't know if he's available.

As for Span, it would take a lot of convincing for me to believe the Washington would be looking to move him -- especially for a starting pitcher.

Is this written somewhere? How many high stress throws must a catcher make per game?

There is such a small sample size that other than failure, there really isn't any data to address. That said, the Orioles are supposedly interested in bringing back one of the only two success stories. Taylor Teagarden.

What can the O's do this offseason, really? Davis, Markakis, Cruz, and Miller are the only players of consequence with question marks attached to them right now. I think it'd be foolish to give a 34 y/o Cruz a multiyear deal (I mean, he's certainly earned a payday, but let him collect it elsewhere). I think Davis will be back. I'd be shocked if Markakis isn't back. And I think Miller is likely gone (though I'd certainly love to see him back, especially since I want Matusz nowhere near the ML roster next season).

With those few issues in mind, I think we're going to see basically the same team next season, with the (hopefully healthy) additions of Wieters and Machado. Will that team be able to compete with a presumably-healthy and restocked Yankees; a slightly older, wiser, and healthier Rays; and also the troublesome Jays/Red Sox? Who knows? But the only pricey FA who even remotely interests me is Tomas, and Markakis will likely be playing his position next year.

So...we've got the same, hard-fighting, tremendously flawed offensive, incredibly gifted defensive team with mostly the same crop of pitchers who were just good enough to get the O's to the ALCS (and yes, given the state of the AL East in 2014, I think it's fair to say "just good enough" despite the large division lead).

The bullpen could clearly use some strengthening, so any "major" moves I'd think would take place there. Apart from that, I think we're bound to see mostly the same things we saw this year, for better or worse.

Everyone has their own idea on how the O's should proceed. And you're right, those four guys are the ones we are focusing on and even with that, you get completely differing views from everyone. I actually have exact opposite of what you have here as I want Davis and Cruz gone as well as Markakis and to sign Miller no matter what the cost. On top of that, replace Cruz with VMart although that's a tall order along with Miller most likely.

A lot of ways they can go. Should be good theater.

I think Bud Norris is going to be traded this offseason we have 6 starters and although depth is great I am not sure you want to be paying the two guys IMO who are the 5th starters next season a combined 18 million or so. Tilman, Chen, and Gausman will all be in the rotation. Gonzo has pitched well each season and has a very team friendly deal which is why I see them keeping him unless someone offers them a very nice piece. Ubaldo is most likely going to stay as his contract is to big to move. That leaves Norris as the odd man out and his 7 million he will make it is not a huge contract so he could be easily moveable.

I also think Miller will get a big payday from someone and I can't see us paying 7 million or so for a late inning guy. Matusz is good as gone salary too high and can't get lefties out. That leaves us with a hole in the pen for a lefty or two. I would not mind them making a trade with the Diamondbacks for Oliver Perez and using Norris to make a trade there. Norris could go to Arizona for Perez and Andrew Vazguez who is a young shortstop in their system and should be in AA next season. He could play double A and triple A the next two seasons and then be the guy to take over for Hardy down the road. The trade would free up about 5 million there and another 3 to let Matusz go and they could use that to give to Tilman, Britton, and Gonzo and Hunter.

Archived