2015 Orioles

Ripken

Borrowed from RotoWorld... "FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi reports that Cuban second baseman Jose Fernandez has defected and is seeking a contract in MLB. Ben Badler of Baseball America reported Tuesday that Fernandez had gone missing from his team, with defection a distinct possibility, so the mystery is now solved. One of the top players in Cuba, the 26-year-old batted .326/.482/.456 during the 2013-14 season with Matanzas. He figures to generate a lot of interest once he's cleared to sign with a team."

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Borrowed from RotoWorld... "FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi reports that Cuban second baseman Jose Fernandez has defected and is seeking a contract in MLB. Ben Badler of Baseball America reported Tuesday that Fernandez had gone missing from his team, with defection a distinct possibility, so the mystery is now solved. One of the top players in Cuba, the 26-year-old batted .326/.482/.456 during the 2013-14 season with Matanzas. He figures to generate a lot of interest once he's cleared to sign with a team."

We all know it comes down to defense. Weeks couldn't even get an audition.

So, Nick is problematic because he doesn't produce more than a 1.5 to 2 WAR player at this stage of his career, but the market is thin.

Your assessment of Wieters is unrealistic because he'll be in his walk year. Young C prospects? Not a lot of bargaining power there. Better to hold onto him if they can't extend him and get a pick. Either way, Joseph is a back up catcher. At 28 going on 29 it's hard to "groom" someone to be a ML catcher. Hundley has a sizable option that won't be picked up by the team.

Davis is a bargain but there's no reason to extend him. His 2013 season at that age has rarely if ever been reproduced and again, we get a pick when he walks.

V Martinez had an MVP type season at DH. You think the Orioles will give him the years and dollars to beat all comers on the open market? Take a few seconds.

Now, the last statement here I like. Lough is a better value than De Aza even though De Aza isn't particularly expensive. Lough is a better defender and was starting to hit when they acquired De Aza. Seems like they gave up on him. I wouldn't be against them bringing back both, with maybe Pearce getting time in LF vs LHP.

I agree on the Markakis statement. I was just saying I HOPE we somehow resign him (i.e. to a reasonable deal, maybe something like 3/$30 or 3/$36 even?). His WAR may say one thing, but he's got a great arm and he's one of the few patient hitters on the team. Plus, he's a quiet leader.

On the Wieters thing, I agree it might not be easy unless he's tearing it up out of ST. Joseph simply hasn't had the chance to play enough at the MLB level. He hit extremely well in the minors the whole way through and has taken his defense up a notch. Giving up on him would make about as much sense as the Rangers giving up on Chris Davis.

V. Mart - you're correct. Pipe dream on my part. No way we shell out for him.

Lough. Meh. Whatever. The one thing I like about him is his defense. But he seems like a good bench guy to me. I was just saying that for lack of a better option, really. And again, I'm all for defense-first.

Don't want any part of Cruz' date=' I think whatever he gets the team who gets him is going to way over pay. The guy is in his mid 30's and a major decline could be right around the bend. And remember he brings no defensive value at all.

I'd like Davis back and I think he and Ubaldo can be our bounce back candidates.

Markakis I have feeling will eventually be back but not till after some haggling between DD and Buck. You just have to hope he can mantain his production and slip too far. If we do decide to not retain him we save quite a bit of money.

Gausman hopefully will be able to be able to throw that 3rd pitch consistently and make the jump to TOR. I don't know what Bundy's timeline is exactly but I could see him back post all star break.

Machado healthy is another huge key, no more devastating injuries please.

Rotation: should be similar, though I could see a starter traded.[/quote']

On Cruz, I suspect that's one of those Juicy Fruit contracts. The sweetness will disappear almost immediately for whoever signs him.

Career, bounce-back year. Mid-30s. Some steroids in the conversation. Looking to cash in. Maybe we run screaming from that situation. DD is a very smart man. I'm sure he'll do the right thing. I'm on the "take a look at Morales" bandwagon at the moment.

Don't want any part of Cruz' date=' I think whatever he gets the team who gets him is going to way over pay. The guy is in his mid 30's and a major decline could be right around the bend. And remember he brings no defensive value at all.

I'd like Davis back and I think he and Ubaldo can be our bounce back candidates.

[/quote']

I tend to agree on Cruz. I feel like his next contract will be an albatross, maybe not in 2015, but almost certainly after that. Let him go and pocket the draft pick that we gave up last year.

In the end, this organization (like most) still needs to develop its own players to win.

Sure, I'll take a crack at it.

1) LF De Aza

2) 3B Machado

3) CF Jones

4) C Wieters

5) 1B Pearce

6) SS Hardy

7) RF Lough

8) DH Walker

9) 2B Schoop

SP - Chris Tillman (vs Alex Cobb)

I think Alvarez makes the OD roster but doesn't start vs the RH pitcher. Christian Walker will take Delmon Young's spot. I'm looking for a LH DH type but Davis might fill that role anyway starting game two.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/10/duquette-on-playoff-loss-roster-decisions-and-more.html

"It's good to know that Nelson likes it here," Duquette said. "You can tell just by watching him, he's the leader of the ballclub. And the young players look up to him, especially the young Latin player. He's an excellent leader, he's a very good role model, he led the league in home runs and he had a great year. I really appreciate veteran leadership that he gave the team. Having said that, he came here to have a platform year to get himself re-established to get him a long-term deal and that's something we will have to consider."

You should probably explain some things.

Like what? Keep in mind that this reflects OD. So no Davis--the everyday 1B man.

I think that DD doesn't bring back Markakis and Cruz gets an obscene offer that we shouldn't match.

Do we know that Wieters' arm will be ready by OD so he can catch? I'm being optimistic regarding Machado's knees. I hope he gets a full spring training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like what? Keep in mind that this reflects OD. So no Davis--the everyday 1B man.

I think that DD doesn't bring back Markakis and Cruz gets an obscene offer that we shouldn't match.

Do we know that Wieters' arm will be ready by OD so he can catch? I'm being optimistic regarding Machado's knees. I hope he gets a full spring training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubt Wieters' arm will be ready OD. Maybe not Manny either. Need better than De Aza to lead off.

Archived