How long will Buck stick with Jim Presley?

wildcard

It is interesting that hitting coaches seem to be the fall guys around baseball this year. New York, New York, Boston and Atlanta all fired their hitting coaches but retained their managers this off-season. Milwaukee, Chicago (Cubs) and Houston all fired their hitting coaches during the season.

Hitting, is down all around baseball. The take and rake stuff doesn't work as well when the rake is only flyouts. The PED era is coming to a close.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is interesting that hitting coaches seem to be the fall guys around baseball this year. New York, New York, Boston and Atlanta all fired their hitting coaches but retained their managers this off-season. Milwaukee, Chicago (Cubs) and Houston all fired their hitting coaches during the season.

Scapegoats. Somebody has to be blamed.

All those teams mentioned have one thing in common, lack of post season appearance.

Didn't Buck quit his job with the Yankees when the Boss told him to fire one of his coaches?

Several of him. But who knows. It may only have been his hitting coach. There are some that came around here to troll that believe that Buck should be fired so we can win the World Series.

Didn't Buck quit his job with the Yankees when the Boss told him to fire one of his coaches?

Yes, Jeter wrote about that in his first book.

Buck was told he would be allowed to return as manager, but only if he canned the whole coaching staff and brought in new guys.

Of course, Buck refused and the rest is history.

Is there anything that a 23,223rd thread on the influence of hitting coaches can add to the debate that the first 23,222 couldn't?

At this point it's almost a matter of faith. Do players hit, or do hitting coaches hit?

So are you saying you don't think it matters at all who the hitting coach is? I would not go that far. But I don't see any compelling reason to change horses.

So are you saying you don't think it matters at all who the hitting coach is? I would not go that far. But I don't see any compelling reason to change horses.

There have been way too many threads on this topic and far too few actual identifiable characteristics of successful hitting coaches to think that they are a major influence. It appears the raw material is important and that a hitting coach can make a little bit of difference. Sometimes only instilling confidence.

Hitting, is down all around baseball. The take and rake stuff doesn't work as well when the rake is only flyouts. The PED era is coming to a close.

I'm not sure that a downturn in home runs should influence the willingness of hitters to take a walk or work the count, but it is true that walks/game in the AL this year were the lowest in more than 100 years (since 1911). HR/game were the lowest since 1992 and OPS and runs/game were the lowest since 1976. I like the balance in the game now, but wouldn't want to see the offense go any lower than it is currently.

There have been way too many threads on this topic and far too few actual identifiable characteristics of successful hitting coaches to think that they are a major influence. It appears the raw material is important and that a hitting coach can make a little bit of difference. Sometimes only instilling confidence.

From listening to Buck, I get this from him. The man wants to win, of course, silly, isn't it, to expect that. :)

While Buck is loyal to his people, I believe if he felt a change in coaching staff, was needed, he would make that decision in a NY minute.

Playing the game at the professional level requires talent, for sure, but there is also a mind game involved, and I believe the coaches can help with the mind and the mechanics, but at the end of the day, they are not actually out there on the diamond playing the game.

I'm not sure that a downturn in home runs should influence the willingness of hitters to take a walk or work the count, but it is true that walks/game in the AL this year were the lowest in more than 100 years (since 1911). HR/game were the lowest since 1992 and OPS and runs/game were the lowest since 1976. I like the balance in the game now, but wouldn't want to see the offense go any lower than it is currently.
They say that walks and homers go up and down together. Is that factual?

Archived