How long will Buck stick with Jim Presley?

wildcard

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Presley worked heavily with Flaherty and helped him out of many slumps. As was pointed out by others, a hitting coach is not going to significantly change a major league hitter. His job is mostly to help players with drills that help them overcome a mechanical issue. From everything I've heard, Presley works hard with players, but he's not going to change Adam Jones. Jones is always going to be that guy who swings at the slider in the dirt because the chances are that slider is sometimes not going to break as much and he's going to hit it out of the park.

I have always thought that there is more room for a pitching coach to make a difference.

Actually I think Presley has had a big impact on the O's offense. His hit the ball hard/homer oriented philosophy has been implemented successfully. The O's have led the league in homers for the last two years. Its more than just Presley. Its DD getting the personnel to execute the strategy and Buck managing to that strategy. However the philosophy is not resulting in more runs scored.

The question is with the defensive shifting that is changing the game will the all or nothing strategy work? It's an important question for Buck and the organization IMO.

Actually I think Presley has had a big impact on the O's offense. His hit the ball hard/homer oriented philosophy has been implemented successfully. The O's have lead the league in homers for the last two years. Its more than just Presley. Its DD getting the personnel to execute the strategy and Buck managing to that strategy. However the philosophy is not resulting in more runs scored.

The question is with the defensive shifting that is changing the game will the all or nothing strategy work? It's an important question for Buck and the organization IMO.

I wasn't specificly talking about Presley just as an overall idea.

Well one good thing about home runs, shifts don't effect them.

Let's be fair, while the Orioles were 6th in runs scored, they were only 24 runs less than the 3rd place team. They were also without their starting catcher and their starting 3b only played in 82 games.

Its a good point if the team is ok with being 68 runs behind the Angels and 11th in OBP. Does a year of Wieters and and a half year of Manny make up for that?

They say that walks and homers go up and down together. Is that factual?

There is some correlation, but it's far from perfect. Walk rates were very high in the 50's, when homers were pretty scarce. Obviously, how the umps are calling the strike zone in a given period has a lot to do with it, and the rulebook definition of the strike zone has changed several times, in addition to how the umps tend to interpret it. Here is a chart that shows the year-by-year AL stats in various categories: http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/bat.shtml.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I wonder how people would feel if Eflin’s ERA this season started with a 3 - like every single more predictive measure (3.37 xERA, 3.65 FIP, 3.77 xFIP, 3.92 SIERA) - instead of being a ghastly 4.09.  For those hoping for somebody better - who exactly do you think is better who is potentially available other than Skubal and Crochet? Fedde has been better this year, but last year he was in Korea and Eflin had a 4.7 fWAR season with a 3.50 ERA. I’d still take Eflin over him going forward, even if it’s close. More importantly, he’s also owed only $7.5M next year to Eflin’s $18M, so the trade price will be MUCH higher and every single team looking for pitching can afford him next year and is competing for him. Taking Eflin’s salary lowered the competition and the prospect capital and is EXACTLY the type of deal the Orioles should be doing with their payroll flexibility. Snell was horrible this year, then hurt, and now maybe himself again. Even if you think he’s good going forward now, he’s a rental with the anchor of a potential $31M salary next year if he gets injured or starts struggling again.  Bassitt is good, but by all predictive measures other than ERA still worse than Eflin this year, but he’s 35 and owed even more next year ($21M). And the reports are he’s not even available.  Taillon is fine, but not better than Eflin - everything in his profile is pointing to a 4+ ERA much more than Eflin. Rangers are not trading Eovaldi or Scherzer now. Luzardo maybe, but he’s hurt and MIA may not be trading him either.  Am I missing anybody? I’d love to add any of these guys too and don’t think the Orioles should stop here. But Eflin was arguably the best available, and definitely the best fit in terms of the balance of prospect capital vs. taking on salary. To boot they also added added to a rotation next year that right now only has Grayson and Kremer.  I can understand wanting a more impressive high K, ace SP type in theory, but with all of this context I don’t know how you could think anything other than loving this deal. 
    • Which indicates that this is currently not a good team.  Question marks everywhere. If your not playing and not happy about it, make the most of the chances when you get them.
    • i agree with what those who are saying the vets might be a little miffed with uncertain contract futures looming.  But the reality is the young guys are going to be auditioned adequately before summarily being brought up just to take their "rightful" places now filled by vets. I don't have any problem with how Elias is handling talent either in the farm or on the MLB team.  And after reflecting a while on a position I had about trading long-term O's during a Playoff/WS run - basically, that Elias would show some deference to guys that got us here - I've flopped on that.  What I think is happening is that the audition process is concluding in some ways.  Had Hays come out like an All-Star again this year, I still think he would have/ could have been traded, but for maybe a higher net.  Cowser and Kierstadt have, by now, proven themselves - so to speak, and having control of them, makes them more valuable, particularly since both were outperforming Hays.  I think Mullins could be next.  To me, it was basically a "prove it" year for anyone competing for OF positions.  My biggest question is do they amp up the "try outs" for 2nd and 3rd base now.
    • What I was saying yesterday is without Burnes, he moved into that spot at the top of the rotation for the team as currently constructed. I’m not saying next year he will be a CY candidate, although he has great stuff and has the potential to do so if he can put it all together. 
    • Actually it's clear to me that there is no reporting. No quotes or even "sources say".
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now