Buck's reputation, that he can't win the big games

Valhalla

I think it's fair weather fans who get annoyed with their time being wasted.

There is nothing wrong with only following winning teams. Who is keeping score? Wasting thousands of hours a year on losers is a loser's mentality. Fans need to be way harder on their teams and put more pressure on their markets to bring out winners IMO. You all seem to be acting like it is okay we lost but that is a loser's mentality. WS or nothing.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is nothing wrong with only following winning teams. Who is keeping score? Wasting thousands of hours a year on losers is a loser's mentality. Fans need to be way harder on their teams and put more pressure on their markets to bring out winners IMO. You all seem to be acting like it is okay we lost but that is a loser's mentality. WS or nothing.

Then don't spend time with us losers. You've clearly got better things to do.

Isn't their a John Farrell fan club board that needs attention? It's not a fans responsibility to do anything. And don't call my friends here losers. Again.

I don't buy he idea that certain players are inherently more October-clutch than others, but I think it's at least arguable.

But the idea that certain good managers are less October-clutch than other good managers is just goofy to me.

If that were the case then Earl was about the least clutch manager the Orioles have had in the PS. He was 1 for 4 in the WS. Sometimes the breaks don't go your way and sometimes every cheap hit goes against you and every time the opposing team leans over the railing they come up with the catch. Thems the breaks.

Yep, goofy.

Buck took it pretty hard. From what I've read he couldn't even watch more than what amounted to highlights of the WS. If you don't think he has a WS or bust mentality and that he has brought that into the clubhouse with him then I don't know what to tell you.

It's what he does best.

There is nothing wrong with only following winning teams. Who is keeping score? Wasting thousands of hours a year on losers is a loser's mentality. Fans need to be way harder on their teams and put more pressure on their markets to bring out winners, IMO. You all seem to be acting like it is okay we lost but that is a loser's mentality. W.S. or nothing.

Oh, really?

And how exactly would you suggest that fans "put more pressure" on their markets to bring out winners?

Earl Weaver was a great manager in 1969. The Orioles lost to the Mets. Buck is a tremendous asset to this organization. They lost a series to a team that was hot. The opening post of this thread is just absurd. Go back to losing for 14 years if that makes you feel better. Then you dont have to worry about having a "playoffs" manager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While we're on the subject of teams' success and failure, did you die and come back to life?

AUGUST of 2013:

Had the chance to go to the ALDS but thought id wait for the next two rounds, and if not it was the start of a dynasty and will go next year. Nope, 2012 was a once in a lifetime season. If you have a chance in life, always take it while you can.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/135651-Wish-I-got-playoff-tickets-last-year

What do you know? The Orioles made it back to the postseason for the second time in 3 years.

So much for your "once-in-a-lifetime" proclamation.

What if there was a way to quantify how good one post was, or how good a poster is through his whole career? Like RAR (rep above replacement) or maybe some kind of internet forum derivative of WPA. This could quantify as the worst play in the history of internet forums. This is the Bill Buckner World Series play of internet sports forum posts.

What if there was a way to quantify how good one post was, or how good a poster is through his whole career? Like RAR (rep above replacement) or maybe some kind of internet forum derivative of WPA. This could quantify as the worst play in the history of internet forums. This is the Bill Buckner World Series play of internet sports forum posts.

Great Idea! Then, everyone with an original idea or an idea that conflicted with the moderators or most popular posters, would be afraid to post. Do you want a clique fest or open forum?

Great Idea! Then, everyone with an original idea or an idea that conflicted with the moderators or most popular posters, would be afraid to post. Do you want a clique fest or open forum?

Yeah whatever. This guy's post was awful. Buck and Dan Duquette are enormous reasons this team wasn't a ******* joke for the last three years. That wasn't an original idea, that was a call in to a radio show from Bob in Dorchester, long time listener first time caller, after he's had a few. I'd like to know what you think Buck Showalter could do to make Alex Gordon stop being superman in the outfield. "Buck Showalter failed to poison the opposing water cooler: does he lack the commitment to the Orioles?"

Baseball history is filled with good and great managers with lots of wins and accomplishments who never won it all, so to act like Buck is somehow exclusive in not "winning the big games" is wrong. Never mind the fact that it's the players who still have to win the games, so if Buck isn't clutch as a manger, what does that make the players? As to this tired and worn out argument about what teams did after Buck left, that's a complete disservice and blissful ignorance of both the work Buck put into making those teams as good as they were and the personnel that was there after he left. In New York he had a burgeoning dynasty with a core of 4-5 guys that was maybe the best collection of players assembled in the last 30+ years. In Arizona he had a rotation topped by Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling and a veteran laden team that got the most optimum result only a few years before they got older than the sands of the Arizona desert and became the worst team in baseball. Texas took another four years after Buck to make the World Series with several of his players.

Finally, as to the argument that the Orioles were better than the Giants and that somehow makes the loss to KC even more unacceptable, the Orioles don't have Madison Bumgarner, for starters. The starting rotation didn't get it done throughout the majority of the playoffs, and they were missing 3/5 of their infield. Maybe on paper the Orioles would have been better than the Giants if those guys had been there, but you have a hard time convincing me with the way Bumgarner pitched that they would have sealed the deal.

It was truly embarrassing watching the Orioles this ALCS and this may be where Bucks reputation comes in that he is not a playoff caliber manager. Are we not starting to see it ring true?

He has a reputation of taking teams far then choking. We were a better team than the Giants. Yet got swept.

A lot of the Royals ALCS was in the O's heads that they can't win. While a great playoff manager, like Bochy, is able to keep his players calm despite the other teams luck.

You know if you watched the games and listened to the post game comments, or read the newspaper or any other print media sources, or heck social media sources, I think you'd hear the players talk about Buck doing this stuff for the entire 162 game season, plus spring training and every day off. I've lost count the number of times I've heard or read players speak about the impact Buck has in their mental makeup and the attitude they approach every single game whether things are going wrong or right. Four games against a team that couldn't do anything wrong doesn't change any of that.

I think it is evident that this is not a real opinion or idea. It is just provocative. I don't often see any real original ideas but we let most thoughts run their course.

Archived